INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename/move doesn't deal with sidecar or image files  (Read 990 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Rename/move doesn't deal with sidecar or image files
« on: December 16, 2023, 03:27:57 pm »

How about posting details the next time you find a problem?
an example of "leaving cruft behind" and/or a slightly broken process (should understand there are related files and process them all)

import a directory containing an mkv of some film
lookup movie info
MC puts a sidecar file + jpg in the dir, filenames are based on the mkv name
use rename/move to change the dir & filename based on new tags
MC completes the move for the mkv successfully but doesn't touch the additional files

Select Update tags from library
new sidecar xml gets created, old one still exists

same behaviour if you get cover art again

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Rename/move doesn't deal with sidecar or image files
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 05:38:04 pm »

We will take a look. Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 06:33:21 pm »

Did you check the box "Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media"?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 11:30:50 pm »

Something is not correct or different at your end. Your example is exactly how my workflow goes, and the sidecar plus image file get moved properly with the mkv file, and I do not need to tick the non-imported files checkbox.

All of my operations are carried out on the server and only involve internal hard drives.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 03:44:31 am »

Did you check the box "Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media"?
it appears to be checked albeit I don't check/uncheck that box at all, I don't ever recall checking it tbh

All of my operations are carried out on the server and only involve internal hard drives.
this is done on the server also, all my drives are hosted elsewhere though that should not make any difference as to whether something can rename a file or not

Manfred

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 03:57:01 am »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137477.msg953217.html#msg953217

To my experience it's better to use MC Explorer (shows also side car files).
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 04:14:24 am »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137477.msg953217.html#msg953217

To my experience it's better to use MC Explorer (shows also side car files).
Your link suggests to me that the "also move non-imported files" setting was ticked, so although wrong on MC's part, also, kind of expected.

For balance, I always use MC for these file operations and it's never let me down. The only time I'll shut MC down and use a file explorer instead is if I'm shunting terrabytes of data around, which only happens if new HDDs are being added, so once every 3-5 years.

-marko

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 04:14:52 am »

I will need to test a bit more but first impressions are turning this off makes it work so seems like that option might be broken

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 04:21:26 am »

For balance, I always use MC for these file operations and it's never let me down. The only time I'll shut MC down and use a file explorer instead is if I'm shunting terrabytes of data around, which only happens if new HDDs are being added, so once every 3-5 years.
Same here though that move non imported sometimes let me down. So everything is not moved. I think that is related to MC's temporary db or maybe some other file locking staying even if the file is not open visibly anymore

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 06:45:21 am »

further testing does suggest that the "move non imported files" option is the root cause, unchecking this seems to behave consistently

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 06:50:37 am »

For balance, I always use MC for these file operations and it's never let me down.
regardless of any specific bugs that may exist, one big problem IMO with MC is that these operations are a black box. There's no clear way to see exactly what it will do, progress in what it's doing or any errors that occurred along the way. If it fails, you just get a dialog with no info. If you look in the log for evidence of what it's doing, there's barely anything there. If you want to rollback any particular element, you can't do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up