INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't Like Linux  (Read 886 times)

rlmartindale

• Recent member
Don't Like Linux
« on: December 28, 2023, 05:48:43 am »

....why I thought Linux was a joke....tried to install Debian.....fail and lockup...tried two different flavors of ubuntu....nothing....except Blacklisting errors...this is a modern system running win 11 Pro with no real issues....it was an interesting experiment....

....but i will just pay MS now and then and buy a copy of Windows....then go listen to music and not spend hours "saving" money with linux....

jmz

• Recent member
Re: Don't Like Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 09:03:28 am »

....why I thought Linux was a joke....tried to install Debian.....fail and lockup...tried two different flavors of ubuntu....nothing....except Blacklisting errors...this is a modern system running win 11 Pro with no real issues....it was an interesting experiment....

....but i will just pay MS now and then and buy a copy of Windows....then go listen to music and not spend hours "saving" money with linux....

Maybe you should check your hardware compatibility with each Linux distribution. Maybe you are using unsupported hardware. Did you tried to find where the source of the problem is?

I would say that migrating to Linux is much more than saving the money.

Also... setting new system on Linux is like DIY... some people like to create something... solve some problems... find solutions... it makes them happy. Some people just prefer easy solutions.

I'm not Linux expert but just managed to build 2 identical systems based on Intel NUC i5 with 3 different OS and app.

1. Debian 12.4 and JRiver Media (for Audio only)
2. LibreElec and Kodi (for Video only)
3. Custom Debian and Volumio (for Audio only)

It is really not that hard to achieve this. Sure... I had some problems to solve to make all of it working. But there is plenty of support how to do things on Linux.

At the end... I have satisfaction that I learned something new. That I achieved my goal to build that system.

PS.
Please read this. This is from 2019.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-developer-reveals-linux-is-now-more-used-on-azure-than-windows-server/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I remember now.....
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 01:03:46 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up