INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Striker says... "PlayingNow Plugin"  (Read 686 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Striker says... "PlayingNow Plugin"
« on: December 29, 2023, 11:53:40 pm »

I use the old unsupported PlayingNow plugin to notify me when the track changes and the current and next track info.

Unfortunately... I believe JRiver now owns the rights to PlayingNow but has never updated or re-released it.  For that reason, I can't use the 64bit version of MediaCenter.

I've asked many times for JRiver to update the PlayingNow plugin.  There may be a very good reason JRiver has not done this, but they have never explained why.
Me too, +1, or whatever it is you're supposed to say these days :)

There are sooo many ways this can be configured...
Where it pops up on the screen.
How long it displays for.
What info it displays.
What is shown in tooltips.
How the popup looks.

It can be interactive too...
Play, Pause, Previous, Next...
Volume control.
Rate the current/previous/next track
View the contents of the Playing Now list, and jump to a selected track.

It can also do FTP (but not sFTP, which is becoming troublesome)
Rules can be set to define what it pops up for (so it doesn't popup for movies, for example).

The heavy lifting is done and JRiver have the .dll. The code must be very robust/well written to still be working faultlessly after all this time.

Would be so good to see this become a part of MC32. If it helps, I still have all of the skins made for it way back then, and could make new ones to match each of the default MC skins.

Thanks for reading :)

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
Re: Striker says... "PlayingNow Plugin"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 05:06:51 am »

Talking of "Default Skins" since all of them were created by "users" who are no longer active it would be really nice if some of them could be replaced by Skins created by some, or maybe all, of the currently active Skin Creators .
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 01:43:09 am »

ET, maybe :)

Another plugin usefulness...
The old "Mini-Me", slim player skins were quite popular before COM problems caused their demise. One such was a user contribution named "Blade". The PlayingNow plugin can pretty much emulate most of the mini-view skins... Set the display time to something approaching infinity and the attached is always present on screen, and can be dragged around and placed wherever the user pleases.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 04:53:57 am »

ET, maybe :)

Another plugin usefulness...
The old "Mini-Me", slim player skins were quite popular before COM problems caused their demise. One such was a user contribution named "Blade".

Or Maybe Not!

I just had  look on the Skins download page - it claims there are 459 Mini-Me Skins available but only the 3 post 2003 ones are downloadable.
I grabbed, and installed 2 of them so that I could have a look at them. Those things use a main.xml + a main.js files although 1 of them also has a state.xml file.
Believe it or not the folder for the PixOS Mini-Me skin is actually bigger then the folder for the PixOS skin.

Trying to learn Standard View Skinning with those less than helpful, or complete, Tutorials was bad enough, one of them even claimed the Player Bar was at the bottom of the MC Window.
So working out what does what and what goes where just to be able to create and test 1 new Mini-Me Skin with nothing to help/guide me would probably take forever.

I just wish I'd hung onto my versions of MC & MJ 12 and all the mini me skins I'd downloaded because I used to love those Mini-Me Skins.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 06:04:54 am »

Those mini skins are probably there, but just not available for recent versions.  Requesting older versions might work.

We appreciate your skins, ET.  Bob would like to use some in the standard builds.  I agree if you're willing.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 06:41:23 am »

Jim when I went to the Skins download page only the 1st 3 Mini-Me Skins had visible images an of the dozen or so of the ones without images I tried clicking on the download button always resulted in the infamous 404 Error Message.

Thank you for that nice piece of news -  I'll liaise with Bob to find out which files he may need to be able to add some of my skins to the standard builds.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 11:26:59 am »

Thanks very much.  Mention the download problem as well.

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 09:13:35 pm »

Marco ... thanks for the support and hopefully JRiver will covert the PlayingNow plugin to 64 bit or simply tell us why it won't be done.

I'm still on v30.  I missed the promotion to update to v32 for a lower price... no problem.  I'd update for the full price if PlayingNow were to be released for 64 bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up