INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving TV Recording files?  (Read 615 times)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Moving TV Recording files?
« on: January 08, 2024, 05:49:44 am »

Hi there folks.

I recently invested in a HDHomeRun tuner and managed to fumble through the set up of it on my Linux machine... but this is the preamble. Now I am looking at recorded TV files that I have had sitting around on hard disks for ~ 3 years. Mainly music video recorded on Rage an overnight no ads 6 hour broadcast of music video.

Anyway I was trying to get an idea of all the files involved in the TV recordings and whether they can be moved? It seems a recording is (in my setup anyway) a time stream file .ts, and it has tags stored in in a XML file. When I try right click of the recording in the TV, Recordings sub window it show library tools then I can go to the usual F6 Move Copy dialog. However am I right that although copy/Move/Rename is accessible this dialog is not really built for TV files? It does not seem to pick up multiple files with the recording just the ts file to rename or move etc.

In a related question. I understand that the watching of tv also creates a folder full of cnk, jts and other files that take up a lot of room. I understand the value of timeshift while watching live tv where these come from. But I don't understand how to manage them as they seem to sit around on the disk and do not have a link to get to them from the TV page anywhere?

Thanks
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving TV Recording files?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 09:40:18 am »

Rename, Move, & Copy would work on Windows.  I'm not sure about Linux.  Did you try one?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 12:24:56 pm »

Hi there folks.

I recently invested in a HDHomeRun tuner and managed to fumble through the set up of it on my Linux machine... but this is the preamble. Now I am looking at recorded TV files that I have had sitting around on hard disks for ~ 3 years. Mainly music video recorded on Rage an overnight no ads 6 hour broadcast of music video.

Anyway I was trying to get an idea of all the files involved in the TV recordings and whether they can be moved? It seems a recording is (in my setup anyway) a time stream file .ts, and it has tags stored in in a XML file. When I try right click of the recording in the TV, Recordings sub window it show library tools then I can go to the usual F6 Move Copy dialog. However am I right that although copy/Move/Rename is accessible this dialog is not really built for TV files? It does not seem to pick up multiple files with the recording just the ts file to rename or move etc.

The xml files, called sidecar files, are not unique to TV recordings.  They are used in most video files. 

As Jim mentioned, Rename, Move, & Copy should work, definitely on Windows.  You can try it on other platforms, with just one file and see how it works.

In a related question. I understand that the watching of tv also creates a folder full of cnk, jts and other files that take up a lot of room. I understand the value of timeshift while watching live tv where these come from. But I don't understand how to manage them as they seem to sit around on the disk and do not have a link to get to them from the TV page anywhere?

Try "Clean up time-shifting folders", available through right-clicking "Television" tree branch in Standard View as well as in TV Options window.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 01:49:05 am »

Just as an update. I can pick up and move TV Recordings which on my setup are TS files, and move them with right click Rename/Move/Copy. If you do the same on Devices & Disks section, browse to the file, right click etc it does not work so best avoided... moving this way confuses the Recordings list in the TV Section. I have tried moving recordings on both Windows and Linux versions OK.

It is live time shift files that will not move, and there are many file chucks of jrts and cnk files. I seem to have folders for time shifted live  shows that have been recorded that do not appear on the TV/Recordings list. Not surprising because I have migrated through 3 computer setups since they were created - so they appear orphaned. Not sure if they can be opened or not...

I used to have a setting somewhere that popped up to ask if you wanted to keep the time shift file or not but that seems to have disappeared on my setup now I have misplaced this...

David
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 04:08:28 pm »

Moving files using "Rename, Move, & Copy files..." is the recommended method of moving files.

"Live time-shifting files" - yes they are in a folder with many different files.   If you choose to record in JTV format, these files are saved as your recordings.  If you choose to save time-shifting when you end a time-shifting session, the folder gets saved as well.  In both cases, there is a .jtv file in the folder.  This file is the stub file that "represents" the recording in MC.  So in MC, select the .jtv files, and run "Rename, Move, & Copy..." tool.  The recordings should be moved correctly.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 08:35:20 am »

I used to have a setting somewhere that popped up to ask if you wanted to keep the time shift file or not but that seems to have disappeared on my setup now I have misplaced this...

The option is available only in Program Stream time-shifting.  Check your Tools/Options.../Television/Time-shifting and see which Time-shifting method you chose.  If you are running on Mac or Linux, Save time-shifting on stop is not available.

On Windows, with Program Stream time-shifting method, you can set it at Tools/Options..., Time-shifting > Save on stop.

You can override this setting for individual time-shifting sessions.  Any time during a session, right-click on video screen, TV Options, Save current time-shifting on stop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up