INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing problems tags between iMac and Synology NAS  (Read 950 times)

Vadomar

• Recent member
Syncing problems tags between iMac and Synology NAS
« on: February 21, 2024, 03:58:58 am »

Dear Community,

I know that the topic of syncing has been discussed several times, but although I have tried for several days now, I cannot find a working solution for my setup. ::) My setup is:
  • Synology NAS (an 24/7) where MC 30 is running per docker. Here on my NAS, and only here, all my music files are stored as .flacs, as well as the .xml sidecards. The respective music folder is imported into the Synology-MC library via auto import (filepath /volume1/User).
  • iMac as a main computer with MC 32 - this is where the entire control of the library should take place, e.g. tags are changed or new custom tags are created, etc. The autoimport here points to the NAS, which is integrated in the Finder via the network, i.e. exactly where all music files are stored (filepath /Volumes/User). With this computer new CDs get ripped and are transfered directly to the network path of the NAS (where they should be auto-imported by the Synology MC-library, right?).
  • Several other end devices from which music is streamed from the Synology NAS - these are not relevant here, as only the rating is changed.
No matter which combination I try, there are always files that are either tagged incorrectly or not completely. It often happens that tags simply disappear. Even if I want to manage the main library from the iMac, the music has to be played via the NAS, as it is the only one running 24 hours a day. What is the cleanest setup so that I can manage the MC-library from the iMac and the tags of the music files are successfully and reliably synchronized between the individual libraries iMac–Synology? Library Server doesn't help, or I've been using it wrong so far ... ?

Could it be that the different file paths (iMac vs. NAS) are causing the problems? If so, help me understand, because all the information is only stored in one physically place despite the different paths ...

Thanks a lot in advance!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Syncing problems tags between iMac and Synology NAS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 06:47:27 am »

You should have your Synology be your Library Server (by enabling Media Network options), and have the Mac connect to that library (Add Library -> Library Server, use the hostname or IP address of the NAS). That way they share the same library/database, not two different ones. Importing is done only on the NAS, but tagging works from both machines and is saved to the same database/files.

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 11:01:09 am »

Thanks zybex!
But as far as I can see: Sure, the changes on tag fields are synced – but since tag fields and expression in calculated tags are changing constantly while my digital music library grows, I sometimes need to sync also new tag fields an updated expressions. I want to do this editing and adding of new tags on the Mac, but with this setup new tags and option changes and expressions aren't synced with the NAS and updated because the Mac is still a client, right?

Is there a safe way to use the same library on NAS and Mac while I can add and remove new tag fields on the Mac which are synced to the NAS?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 11:06:11 am »

Everything is synced (may take a few seconds). To make changes on the Mac side you need to set a non-guest username and password for the connection, or else the Mac is in read-only mode and changes are discarded.

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 11:24:21 am »

Alright! So far new tag fields I add on the Mac aren’t synced to the NAS. I enter the username and pw of the NAS on the Mac with Options > Media Network > Authentification? I see here only Read-only Authentification … Or is there something else which needs to be done? Inside of MC I can’t find another option for authentification …

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 11:26:19 am »

On the NAS: Options > Media Network > Authentification
On the Mac: re-add the library connection, it should ask for the user/pass. If not, set a different "guest" password on the server to force the Mac to ask.

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 11:56:34 am »

Even after changing the authentification information on the NAS my Mac won’t ask for any username or password. It just adds the new library obviously in "reading mode" (tag values are synced). I only see a "read-only Authentification".
Just to be sure: On the Mac I go to Add Library > type in just the server address with the port of MC (192.168.2.2:52199), right? And then there should be a request for username and pw?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 12:21:14 pm »

Right. On the server set the "Authentication" user/pass, and then try setting "Read-Only Authentication" to "disabled". The Mac must then ask for auth... maybe you have it set to "everyone".

I think I remember that MC saves the previous authentication data for a library; so, because you've added it before in read-only mode, it must be re-connecting always in read-only mode. Disabling that option in the server should work.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 12:32:24 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=127119.0

It looks like you need to disable read-only to force it to ask for a password.

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 12:55:24 pm »

Thanks for the hint! Now on the Mac the popup for un/pw is there. But still after logging in succesfully (I guess in read-write mode then according to the other forum post), even if I have disabled read-only on the NAS, no new library fields which are made on the Mac are synced to the NAS.  :-\

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 01:07:37 pm »

Some things still need to be done on the server side. Creating fields is unfortunately still one of them, as well as importing files. Otherwise, after the fields are created all tagging works and syncs just fine. The advantages of having a single common library far outweigh these issues, IMHO. Trying to keep two separate databases in sync is very error prone.

HaWi

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 01:19:12 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=127119.0

It looks like you need to disable read-only to force it to ask for a password.
Just want to say Thank you, Zybex!
I had the same issue and I maintained several separate libraries because of that. Now, I may be able to just run one on the NAS and maintain it from the Mac Studio. This is fantastic!
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 01:23:55 pm »

I see and I assumed this.
The problem in my special case is that I use the – very slow and super unhandy – GUI with docker on the Synology. It’s a pain to change anything via browser …
Thanks anyway for for your help clearing this up!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 01:31:55 pm »

Well I don't use Docker, but I assume it can run VNC. Maybe other can chip in to help you get a decent remote screen with VNC running there.
Another option is to get a 3rd mini-PC to become your MC server. It would be much faster than the Synology from about $250 upwards.

HaWi

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 03:28:52 pm »

I use RealVNC to access MC on the NAS (Synology 1918+) and on a rPi5 as well as on an old MacBook Pro and it works really well. MC on the NAS opens directly and I use it just like on the local Mac Studio. It is a bit slower but entirely usable, even for small library maintenance jobs.
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
JRemote 3.43

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 03:22:06 pm »

I use RealVNC to access MC on the NAS (Synology 1918+) and on a rPi5 as well as on an old MacBook Pro and it works really well. MC on the NAS opens directly and I use it just like on the local Mac Studio. It is a bit slower but entirely usable, even for small library maintenance jobs.

This is interesting, thank you for the hint!
Would you mind telling me how you got RealVNC installed on the Synology? Afaik there is no native package for this, right?

HaWi

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 03:56:04 pm »

This is interesting, thank you for the hint!
Would you mind telling me how you got RealVNC installed on the Synology? Afaik there is no native package for this, right?
The beauty of Max's MC image (thank you Max!) is that it has a VNC server included. So all you need to do is to fire up your VNC client, put in the IP address of your NAS followed by :5900 (the VNC server in the image is set to use port 5900) and you should get connected.
Let me know how it goes.
JRemote 3.43

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 12:49:23 am »

The beauty of Max's MC image (thank you Max!) is that it has a VNC server included. So all you need to do is to fire up your VNC client, put in the IP address of your NAS followed by :5900 (the VNC server in the image is set to use port 5900) and you should get connected.
Let me know how it goes.

Thanks HaWi for this info! I guess this will make many things much easier for me now, it works great! Although the resolution of MC on the NAS via VNC isn’t that good especially with a small view, it’s quite comfortable to edit there now. I am also grateful that there is a emulation for Synology for people who do not have a ›real‹ HTPC …

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 01:00:00 am »

You should be able to increase the resolution of the virtual Synology screen.

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 01:40:05 am »

You should be able to increase the resolution of the virtual Synology screen.

You mean via RealVNC? I don’t know – you can change the scaling/size but not actual the resolution itself. Also in MC docker, MC itself and on the Synology I don’t find an option for this. Feeling it looks like 800x600 or something like this.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2024, 05:18:19 am »

Try resizing with this command:
xrandr -s 1600x1200

Or find the vncserver startup line and add a geometry:
vncserver -geometry 1600x1200

HaWi

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2024, 09:43:30 am »

Try resizing with this command:
xrandr -s 1600x1200

Or find the vncserver startup line and add a geometry:
vncserver -geometry 1600x1200
Actually, you can put the desired resolution into your docker-compose file. I run at 2560x1440 and it's great.
add this under - environment (change the numbers to your desired values)
      - DISPLAY_WIDTH=2560
      - DISPLAY_HEIGHT=1440
Btw, I got all this info from Max when I set up my NAS. He's a genius!
Here's my personal docker-compose file

version: '3'
services:
  jrivermc:
    image: shiomax/jrivermc:latest
    restart: always
    container_name: jrivermc
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - VNC_PASSWORD=<your chosen PW>
      - VNC_LISTEN=ALLOW_ALL
      - USER_ID-<get this value from your NAS>
      - GROUP_ID=<get this value from your NAS>
      - DISPLAY_WIDTH=2560
      - DISPLAY_HEIGHT=1440
      - TZ=America/New_York   <change this to your location>
    volumes:
      - /volume1/docker/MC32/config:/config:rw
      - /volume1/music:/data/music:rw
      - /volume1/docker/MC32/data/Library:/data/Library:rw
EDITS: spelling
JRemote 3.43

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2024, 11:05:48 am »

Actually, you can put the desired resolution into your docker-compose file. I run at 2560x1440 and it's great.
add this under - environment (change the numbers to your desired values)
      - DISPLAY_WIDTH=2560
      - DISPLAY_HEIGHT=1440
Btw, I got all this info from Max when I set up my NAS. He's a genius!
Here's my personal docker-compose file

version: '3'
services:
  jrivermc:
    image: shiomax/jrivermc:latest
    restart: always
    container_name: jrivermc
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - VNC_PASSWORD=<your chosen PW>
      - VNC_LISTEN=ALLOW_ALL
      - USER_ID-<get this value from your NAS>
      - GROUP_ID=<get this value from your NAS>
      - DISPLAY_WIDTH=2560
      - DISPLAY_HEIGHT=1440
      - TZ=America/New_York   <change this to your location>
    volumes:
      - /volume1/docker/MC32/config:/config:rw
      - /volume1/music:/data/music:rw
      - /volume1/docker/MC32/data/Library:/data/Library:rw
EDITS: spelling

Well, this is far easier and the perfect solution for my problem, thank you, works finally really great!  ;D ;D ;D

HaWi

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2024, 11:48:22 am »

Well, this is far easier and the perfect solution for my problem, thank you, works finally really great!  ;D ;D ;D
I am happy it works for you now.
All credit goes to Max!
JRemote 3.43

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 04:32:18 am »

Hej HaWi,

I was wondering if you could help me out with another problem which now occurred: How can the Synology docker version of MC be registered? I entered my master license key via VNC, got an e-mail and clicked on the .mjr file just as I did it with my local mac version of MC, but the docker version remains still unregistered after this process. Do I need to open the file so to speak ›inside‹ of the Synology GUI? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks again!

HaWi

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2024, 09:28:03 am »

Hej HaWi,

I was wondering if you could help me out with another problem which now occurred: How can the Synology docker version of MC be registered? I entered my master license key via VNC, got an e-mail and clicked on the .mjr file just as I did it with my local mac version of MC, but the docker version remains still unregistered after this process. Do I need to open the file so to speak ›inside‹ of the Synology GUI? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks again!
If I remember correctly, I just pasted the Master Key into the box when it asked. I also copied the .mjr file into the top folder (MC32) in the docker folder. My structure is volume1/docker/MC32/config, data
JRemote 3.43

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2024, 01:09:19 pm »

Ok, I will try this!
But another thing: You are running MC32 in the docker? I only found MC 30 …

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

HaWi

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2024, 09:35:04 am »

Ok, I will try this!
But another thing: You are running MC32 in the docker? I only found MC 30 …
Yes, I'm running a MC32 container. The images are here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/shiomax/jrivermc/tags?page=1&name=latest-32
I recommend using docker-compose to set up the container. I also use Portainer to maintain and update my containers.
You can find info on using docker-compose to set up the MC container here:
https://gitlab.com/shiomax/jrivermc-docker
JRemote 3.43

Vadomar

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2024, 05:07:17 am »

Thank you again!
Turned out that the activation didn’t work because I ran MC 30 in my docker, this is why I didn’t see the activation option in MC 32. Must have used a wrong tag or something … Now everything is fine!

HaWi

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2024, 12:02:07 pm »

Thank you again!
Turned out that the activation didn’t work because I ran MC 30 in my docker, this is why I didn’t see the activation option in MC 32. Must have used a wrong tag or something … Now everything is fine!
I'm glad you got it working!
JRemote 3.43

oct02

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2024, 07:38:05 am »

Dear Community,

I know that the topic of syncing has been discussed several times, but although I have tried for several days now, I cannot find a working solution for my setup. ::) My setup is:
  • Synology NAS (an 24/7) where MC 30 is running per docker. Here on my NAS, and only here, all my music files are stored as .flacs, as well as the .xml sidecards. The respective music folder is imported into the Synology-MC library via auto import (filepath /volume1/User).
  • iMac as a main computer with MC 32 - this is where the entire control of the library should take place, e.g. tags are changed or new custom tags are created, etc. The autoimport here points to the NAS, which is integrated in the Finder via the network, i.e. exactly where all music files are stored (filepath /Volumes/User). With this computer new CDs get ripped and are transfered directly to the network path of the NAS (where they should be auto-imported by the Synology MC-library, right?).
  • Several other end devices from which music is streamed from the Synology NAS - these are not relevant here, as only the rating is changed.
No matter which combination I try, there are always files that are either tagged incorrectly or not completely. It often happens that tags simply disappear. Even if I want to manage the main library from the iMac, the music has to be played via the NAS, as it is the only one running 24 hours a day. What is the cleanest setup so that I can manage the MC-library from the iMac and the tags of the music files are successfully and reliably synchronized between the individual libraries iMac–Synology? Library Server doesn't help, or I've been using it wrong so far ... ?

Could it be that the different file paths (iMac vs. NAS) are causing the problems? If so, help me understand, because all the information is only stored in one physically place despite the different paths ...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hello. I don't know if this is your problem but I have found that there are several tagging fields that JRiver doesn't store in the file tags but in its library cache. So you can't add a keyword tag, or count the number of plays of the song, and expect the file tag to show it in a JRiver with a different library or in another music player like Foobar.

I have the same case as you with a FLAC folder on Synology and access to that folder from three JRiver on Mac, Windows and Linux, and changes to various tagging fields on my main system (Mac) are not read by the Windows and Linux JRiver.

This is a major flaw in JRiver and it should be able to save changes to tags in the same way as mp3tag and other apps do.

All the best.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2024, 07:42:35 am »

MC can be set to store tags in the file.   The options page has a search window.

You can use the Library Tools to write the tags if necessary.   See the wiki.

oct02

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2024, 07:48:41 am »

MC can be set to store tags in the file.   The options page has a search window.

You can use the Library Tools to write the tags if necessary.   See the wiki.

Thank you, but JRiver can save tags in the file like genre or comment, but not keywords or number of plays. [EDIT] I followed your instructions and checked the configuration of these tags in Tools >> Options >> Library & Folders >> ... Manage Library Fields. I checked save and am now updating the library with Tools >> Library Tools >> Update Tags (from library). When this is finished, I will open Windows and Linux and see if all changes could be saved. Thank you for your help. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up