INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bought house next door to my parents where servers jriver and network reside  (Read 399 times)

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

at my parents' house where all my network, servers, and jriver reside i have all ubiquiti equipment.

i bought the house next door and i bought a ubiquiti udm se router (same one i bought for my parents) i setup a site to site vpn on both of the routers so i can connect all my devices in my house to access my servers, jriver, etc.

from my pc in my house i can connect to my jriver server that resides in my parents house. it works great, but i have run into one problem i would like to resolve if possible. when i lived at my parents house i would use jremote on my iphone to remotely play music to certain players which worked great. now when i try to do the same at my house i can not see my pc as a player. on the pc in my house i am able to see all the players in my parent's house that are connected to jriver.

the network where jriver resides is 192.168.0.1/24 where jriver is and my house netowrk is 192.168.1.1/24

i know jriver uses ssdp to scan for players i ran the device discovery tool on both the jriver server and jriver client in my house and neither show the pc in my house

anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work or if there is another way i can control my pc in my house with jriver ?? thanks for any help and if you need more info please let me know.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I use Tailscale software ... it's free for non commercial use

You put it on each device and they behave like on same network ... you can put it on mobile ... and while you away, mobile think it's still on the same network without affecting other internet traffic

It's peer to peer ... so traffic goes directly without bypassing 3rd party server

I initially used it to bypass double NAT for Plex ... now using it with JRiver too
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

so this works with ssdp and you are able to see players as well?

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

just tried tailscale and it did not work

zybex

• MC Beta Team

If you can't see the PC even while on your own network, then it's not the VPN.
Firewall on the PC? Some Internet Security products are really aggressive in blocking network access.
If MC is the player software, you need to enable Media Network and enable DLNA Renderer option.
If the PC is connected via wireless, disable WLAN Isolation option in your router.

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

on both client at my house and server at my parents house i just have windows firewall and i turned it off for testing purposes.

i am able to connect to jriver server at 192.168.0 sub with client at 192.168.10 whether i use ip or access key.

tij

• MC Beta Team

just tried tailscale and it did not work

well ... its a bit technical to set up Tailscale ... basically you can expose subnet through PC that has Tailscale installed

Any device with Tailscale (login into same account) then can access that subnet through internet (even if PC exposing sunbet is sitting behind double NAT)

Details on how to expose subnet is in https://tailscale.com/kb/1019/subnets

For me ... my home subnet is 192.168.0.0 with mask 255.255.255.0 ... so to expose it - i ran following command in command prompt

tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24

You can check if subnet is shared in Admin Console ... right click of Tailscale in system tray ... see attached

Can see from attached picture ... my subnet is exposed through PC name Zeus

To set this up require little bit of network knowledge ...
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Sometimes other products have a firewall built in.  It might be part of an antivirus package.

Also on any mode or router.

DJLegba

If you've configured JRemote to use the access to connect to the server try changing that to the IP address. If that works and you still want to use JRemote over data (instead of WiFi) when you're away from home just set up a second connection but this time use the access key and give it a different name.

You could also try changing your parents' network to 192.168.0.0/23 and yours to 192.168.1.0/23.

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

DJLegba....you just saved me so much time and stress to get this to work.......... you have no idea thank you so much! i have jremote setup to either the access key or the actual ip of the server...... what i was doing was using that as is and then picking the player from the drop down...... i never thought to add the client as another connection.... so in essence, i can disable dlna on all the clients(players) and then just connect directly to their ips and have control over the player. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Pages: [1]   Go Up