INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PlayerBar - Internal Volume Slider issues  (Read 252 times)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
PlayerBar - Internal Volume Slider issues
« on: May 13, 2024, 03:49:56 pm »

(1) Dragging the Internal Volume Slider Bar to the right is very sluggish and jerky, unlike the Position Slider Bar which is fast and smooth.  It is as if there is some background calculation going on which slows the motion.  Dragging to the left (decrease volume) is always snappy.  If the slow-down is intentional (for protection), I think it is over done.

(2) After dragging the Internal Volume Slider Bar all the way to the right to its maximum (100%), most of the time the bar jumps back to 99% or less when the left mouse button is released.  Then it's necessary to re-drag or use mouse scroll wheel to reach 100%.

I find these behaviors with all the Standard View skins I've tried (at least 6 of them).  For my custom skin, I've tried messing with the three PlayerBar_SliderBar*.png files but they do not seem to affect it.  Turning off tooltips does not change it.

Small things, but rather annoying. 

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: PlayerBar - Internal Volume Slider issues
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 04:15:04 pm »

Not skin related.  Uncheck the Volume Protection checkbox under Options/Audio/Volume

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
Re: PlayerBar - Internal Volume Slider issues
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 05:31:05 pm »

Not skin related.  Uncheck the Volume Protection checkbox under Options/Audio/Volume
Thanks - in that case the two issues are not encountered.

With Volume Protection enabled, I now realize there are two operating domains:

(a) Slow drag, motion feels unconstrained:  No jump-back most of the time, but could use improved (adjusted?) speed filtering (simple or exponential moving average?) to make it work even more consistently.

(b) Fast drag, with max speed limited by software:  There is no logical reason to have it jump back from 100% to 99%.  Either don't jump back at all, or quickly jump back at least 5%-10% for protection when speed is above a threshold.  Here too, improved filtering might make the motion smoother, though there is a tradeoff with fast response required for safety.
Pages: [1]   Go Up