INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to connect to Media server via ipv6?  (Read 478 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
How to connect to Media server via ipv6?
« on: June 11, 2024, 02:22:17 am »

If i try to connect to a server via IPv6 I get the message "please enter a valid access key or URL", is IPV6 not supported at all? Or does it have to be formatted in a a particular way?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: How to connect to Media server via ipv6?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 02:36:57 am »

IPv6 is not supported at this time, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 02:47:53 am »

IPv6 is not supported at this time, sorry.

Ok, thanks for the feedback, I hope you will consider support. IPV6 is more secure, and IPV4 is starting to be a real hassle with ISPs with CG-NAT and the likes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 04:04:12 am »

... IPV6 is more secure ...
I had to look this up.  I don't think it's so.  Here's a reddit discussion:  https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/xrk4a6/ipv6_vs_ipv4_security/?rdt=52894

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 05:04:47 am »

I had to look this up.  I don't think it's so.  Here's a reddit discussion:  https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/xrk4a6/ipv6_vs_ipv4_security/?rdt=52894
I am not an networking expert but i would say it is more secure, especially in the context of external access for two main reasons.

- Ipv6 uses temporary adresses as a default for external communications, the permanent address you use for access is largely unknown to eventual bad actors.
- The address space makes port scanning totally unfeasible. You can based on location and ISP guess the first parts, but scanning the possible adresses for a given port would tak 100s of years just to hit a port at a single customer.

So an open ipv6 port is functionally extremely difficult to even know about.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 05:20:55 am »

- Ipv6 uses temporary adresses as a default for external communications, the permanent address you use for access is largely unknown to eventual bad actors.

This is true for you accessing a (foreign) service - however, not applicable if you are hosting something yourself, as you need a defined endpoint to host on, which the temporary address is not used for.

We're definitely thinking about future IPv6 support though, but it likely won't be very soon.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 06:36:34 am »

This is true for you accessing a (foreign) service - however, not applicable if you are hosting something yourself, as you need a defined endpoint to host on, which the temporary address is not used for.

We're definitely thinking about future IPv6 support though, but it likely won't be very soon.

Yeah for hosting you use the permanent address, but "everyone else" only knows your temp address, and them not knowing the permanent address gives some security.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2024, 07:21:22 am »

This can be done if your router supports NAT64 to translate an external IPv6 connection to an internal IPv4 port.
This is common on enterprise routers/firewalls, not sure about SOHO routers.

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2024, 07:54:07 am »

This can be done if your router supports NAT64 to translate an external IPv6 connection to an internal IPv4 port.
This is common on enterprise routers/firewalls, not sure about SOHO routers.

How would this be done in practice? The MC client doesn't support connecting to the IPV6 address

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2024, 08:06:10 am »

Right. It should work for MCWS and Panel, but not with the existing MC client/apps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up