INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware accelerate Question  (Read 301 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Hardware accelerate Question
« on: June 15, 2024, 03:57:30 am »

I bitstream and use JRVR and the 3080 video card, is it best to always tick "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" in my case?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Hardware accelerate Q?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 04:15:52 am »

It's covered by multiple threads, eg

eg https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=120163.0

It chooses between CPU or GPU for decoding, GPU has dedicated hardware so will use less power to the job

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new gives info on what your card supports in hardware

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hardware accelerate Question
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 07:19:51 am »

Best to try it.  In the past, it's not always been reliable.

murray

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 03:37:26 pm »

Best to try it.  In the past, it's not always been reliable.
Many thanks Jim. Even after reading those 2 links I wasnt quite sure what was correct, to tick the box or not....? Losts of the language of PCs I dont understand ?

You say its not always reliable, can you explain please what issues might it cause?... dropped frame etc etc??

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 03:40:09 pm »

Many thanks Jim. Even after reading those 2 links I wasnt quite sure what was correct, to tick the box or not....? Losts of the language of PCs I dont understand ?

You say its not always reliable, can you explain please what issues might it cause?... dropped frame etc etc??
pretty much, have you seen any problems at all with it enabled? if no, leave it enabled as it either works or doesn't.

I haven't seen any issues in years btw & 4k playback without GPU support asks a lot of your CPU so, afaict, turn it on and leave it at that.

murray

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 03:46:32 pm »

pretty much, have you seen any problems at all with it enabled? if no, leave it enabled as it either works or doesn't.

I haven't seen any issues in years btw & 4k playback without GPU support asks a lot of your CPU so, afaict, turn it on and leave it at that.
I have a 1080 film thats 29.97 and it drops odd frames every minute or so with it ticked and unticked. Rendering is only about 7 with the 3080 video card.
I have turned off bitstream and tested with PCM and video clock and it still drops the odd frames every few minutes with Hardware ticked or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up