INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug Report: Mac OS 14.5 / Media Centre 32 Full Screen Lack of Controls  (Read 1086 times)

brian1138

• Recent member

I am using Mac OS 14.5 and the latest public version of Media Centre 32.0.58

In theatre mode: the on screen controls cease to appear so when i place cursor at the top of the screen I cannot access pause, stop etc. 
When I right click, NO menu appears so I can't access subtitles etc.  Effectively during playback of any content, I have NO on screen control of the video playing which makes the software near useless to watch content.  But I love it as a library, and really want to fix this.

If i bring up Mission Control in the "tiny thumbnails" at the top of the screen I can see that the right click pop up window shows in the thumbnail for Media Centre 32.  But I don't see it when going back to the Media Control 32 desktop.  So it is as if in the full screen version of the app that the popup is hidden or behind the display, but the thumbnail shows it where you would expect it to be.  Its as it the software is trying to the right thing, but its just not happening in what i see.

If i leave media centre 32 playing in theatre mode, and go to Mac OS Control Centre settings and change the "automatically hide and show the menu bar" from its current setting to any other setting it fixes this problem. 
Right click starts to display the pop up window, and the control ribbon bar (play, stop, pause) appears as you would expect. 
But if i quit Media Centre 32 and restart the programme the fault returns. 
Again I can fix it by going to control centre settings and changing the menu bar display option to anything else that its current setting.  It doesn't matter at what setting it begins with, the issue is only resolved by toggling it to something else during playback.  A fix, but not something I want to do every time i use the app.  This seems to be an indicator to me that there is something wrong in how the app is configured as to what to show and when.

The display issues are most clearly seen when I am in display view:

In display view: the on screen control ribbon (play, stop, pause bar) appears in mission control in Desktop 1, whilst Media Centre 32 has its own desktop window. 
So rolling the cursor up to the top of the screen causes my display to flip over to desktop 1 where the play ribbon appears briefly before disappearing. 
Hitting right click in Media Centre 32 shows nothing.

I have my Mac Mini M1 hooked up to my TV.  But I have tried the same on my intel iMac and Mac Mini M2 and on different monitors and am getting the same end results.  So there appears to be something happening across setups rather than unique to one machine.

If you need further info, let me know and I will provide.

A video of the display mode problem is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vzgzn0nt7b7idcu2nimp6/Full-screen-July-28-2024-21-17-20.mp4?rlkey=t40p96jprx5nrr7bd834v7s5d&dl=0

brian1138

• Recent member
Re: Bug Report: Mac OS 14.5 / Media Centre 32 Full Screen Lack of Controls
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2024, 08:50:29 pm »

Giving this a bump, so hopefully someone can help or advise.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2024, 10:55:45 am »

We won't be looking at this until the beta nears release.
Apple often fixes issues like this in various beta releases.

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2024, 03:11:35 pm »

Thanks for reply.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what beta?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2024, 03:43:01 pm »

Ah yes, of course,  thanks.  I will pre-order and hope it fixes.

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2024, 09:15:42 am »

I have downloaded and installed version 33.

I am still experencing these issues, making the app largely non-fuctional for watching videos in theatre mode.

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2024, 07:07:31 pm »

Just want to give this a bump, so that support may be offered.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2024, 08:20:50 pm »

When nobody answers, it often means that nobody knows.

Take a look here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,139479.0.html

and especially at permissions.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2024, 07:31:57 am »

I'm running this right now on MacOS 14.7 and it works just fine with mission control. I don't have any older Sonoma installs to test.
My settings are attached.

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2024, 04:22:26 am »

When nobody answers, it often means that nobody knows.

Take a look here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,139479.0.html

and especially at permissions.

I have fresh installed, and also checked all permissions are in place.

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2024, 04:25:45 am »

I'm running this right now on MacOS 14.7 and it works just fine with mission control. I don't have any older Sonoma installs to test.
My settings are attached.

Thanks for this.  I have modified all my settings to exactly match yours.  Still facing same issue.  I am currently on 14.6.1
Presumably 14.7 will become available very shortly for non-developers.  I will update as soon as available.

Is there any settings within Media Centre i should check that could check in meantime ?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2024, 10:40:58 am »

Thanks for this.  I have modified all my settings to exactly match yours.  Still facing same issue.  I am currently on 14.6.1
Presumably 14.7 will become available very shortly for non-developers.  I will update as soon as available.

Is there any settings within Media Centre i should check that could check in meantime ?
Not really. The lack of a right click menu seems to point to something else taking focus from MC's video playback window. Do you have any apps running in the background that might do that?

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2024, 01:56:24 pm »

I am experiencing the same issue on three different devices.

M1 Mac
M2 Mac
Intel iMac

So there has to be something happening consistent across those devices causing the issue, if not a Media Centre setting.  As each has a different mix of apps on it.

Even when I close down all apps, close down all background running apps and I face same issue on theatre mode just not working.

It works in Display Mode on my M2 Mac where I have one display (i get the flip problem when multiple displays).  So I can probably investigate that myself, there must be a primary screen issue in my settings somewhere.

But in theatre mode there is no right click, and no ribbon at the top.  After exiting Theatre Mode the cursor completely disappears.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2024, 02:38:12 pm »

I am experiencing the same issue on three different devices.

M1 Mac
M2 Mac
Intel iMac

So there has to be something happening consistent across those devices causing the issue, if not a Media Centre setting.  As each has a different mix of apps on it.

Even when I close down all apps, close down all background running apps and I face same issue on theatre mode just not working.

It works in Display Mode on my M2 Mac where I have one display (i get the flip problem when multiple displays).  So I can probably investigate that myself, there must be a primary screen issue in my settings somewhere.

But in theatre mode there is no right click, and no ribbon at the top.  After exiting Theatre Mode the cursor completely disappears.
Do all of the problematic ones have multiple physical displays?

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2024, 02:48:22 pm »

Originally yes.  But I have consciously changed the M1 Mac and the M2 Mac so they only now have one monitor each - as i originally thought that having multiple monitors may be the issue, and was trying to trouble shoot it.  So i believe i have eliminated that as a potential issue.

The very strange aspect that I am seeing (which may or may not be relevant). 

Is that whilst right clicking doesn't show, and the top bar ribbon doesn't show in Theatre view.  If i hit a short key to bring up mission control, in the visual of Media Centre shown in the Mission Control thumbnail, you can see the ribbon bar or the menu from right clicking.  So Media Centre is certainly performing the action, it just seems that the visual representation of it when in full screen mode is behind the displayed screen so as a user you can't see it or utilise it.

So that coupled with the disappearing mouse seems to indicate that there is something taking these features and hiding / sending them behind the display.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2024, 08:32:21 am »

Originally yes.  But I have consciously changed the M1 Mac and the M2 Mac so they only now have one monitor each - as i originally thought that having multiple monitors may be the issue, and was trying to trouble shoot it.  So i believe i have eliminated that as a potential issue.

The very strange aspect that I am seeing (which may or may not be relevant). 

Is that whilst right clicking doesn't show, and the top bar ribbon doesn't show in Theatre view.  If i hit a short key to bring up mission control, in the visual of Media Centre shown in the Mission Control thumbnail, you can see the ribbon bar or the menu from right clicking.  So Media Centre is certainly performing the action, it just seems that the visual representation of it when in full screen mode is behind the displayed screen so as a user you can't see it or utilise it.

So that coupled with the disappearing mouse seems to indicate that there is something taking these features and hiding / sending them behind the display.
Try disabling the "Playing Now" popup in MC's settings. (search for Playing Now in the bottom search bar)
Also, are you using any trackinfos?

brian1138

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2024, 08:07:08 pm »

Hi,

Disabling Playing Now popup has had no change to the problem.

I am not 100% sure by what you mean by trackinfos.

I am only using video files within MediaCenter, I don't have any audio only files in it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2024, 10:15:00 am »

Hi,

Disabling Playing Now popup has had no change to the problem.

I am not 100% sure by what you mean by trackinfos.

I am only using video files within MediaCenter, I don't have any audio only files in it.
I really don't know how to figure out what's going on then since I can't reproduce it.
There are some small changes coming in the next build (shortly) in that area. Perhaps give that a try.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2024, 11:11:00 am »

There's a setting in MC related to popup transparency (search for transparency in the settings search box)
Try different settings for that and see if it makes any difference please.

Pages: [1]   Go Up