INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC tries to play Missing / Deleted Music Files  (Read 369 times)

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.58 x64bit
MC tries to play Missing / Deleted Music Files
« on: August 13, 2024, 10:08:34 am »

Hello Folks, just lately a smartlist has tried, and failed, to play a music file that no longer exists.
It has happened a few times this week.
The library still shows the the filename and the file path, but the album had gone.
For example it could be a poor quality bootleg I no longer wanted, so its been deleted. MC has failed to realise the album has been deleted.
How can I run a search to see what music files are still in the Library but in fact no longer exist, please.
Run auto-import is on
Thank you,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC tries to play Missing / Deleted Music Files
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 10:15:03 am »

Delete from within MC.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 12:40:14 pm »

How can I run a search to see what music files are still in the Library but in fact no longer exist, please.
The answer to this question is: Open a view that lists all files in your library, then, paste the code below into the search bar in the top right.
Be warned though, this checks the existence of each file in your library, one after the other, and, depending on your library size, could take a while a to complete, so be patient. The resulting list will have have files that are in your library but cannot be found on disk.
Also note, I make use of MC's "Notes" feature, and also have HLS streams stored in my library... both of these types turn up in this resultant list and are safe to ignore.
Code: [Select]
[=ismissing([filename])]=1
Run auto-import is on
OK, but, under your "auto import settings", (Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure Auto Import), how are you set for "Fix Broken Links"?

For what you seem to expect, it should be set to, at least, "Yes, Protect files on missing drives", unless, of course, your files are stored on removable drives, but then, you'd still want that set that way, and then, absolutely, follow Jim's advice and delete via MC only, then, it will keep up with you easily :)

-marko

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.58 x64bit
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024, 04:23:56 pm »

@marko,
that is outstanding.
Thank you for your clear and concise reply.
It helped me enormously.
In spite of having in excess of 155K tracks your magic missing message code found the offending 425 music files in moments.
I did a random check on about a dozen and none were found.
Other settings are specified as you suggest.
Yes I do typically delete / remove from within MC.
I have been using MC for many years, and along the way some got zapped from without :)
Marko you are so helpful,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up