INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Volume Ignored By Zone  (Read 661 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Internal Volume Ignored By Zone
« on: August 17, 2024, 08:37:14 am »

I posted this in 33 release thread, but it seems kind of important:

I've had a couple of instances where, regardless of internal volume setting,  I've been blasted with what seems 100% internal volume.  I ended up turning volume control on DAC way, way down because of this.   I'm really not sure what causes this, but it's a bit disconcerting. 

Update:
I think what may intermittently cause this is switching between zones, one of which has volume control set to disabled and other set to internal volume.  Not positive this is what triggers issue, but when it does happen, internal volume seems to have no effect.   

Haven't tried this in 32, but it's possible it's also in that release, since I had never before configured zones in this manner.
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Internal Volume Ignored By Zone
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 09:36:23 am »

Turn on Volume Protection in options.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 09:44:27 am »

I always have volume protection enabled - it's doing nothing when this happens. Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 10:05:35 am »

I've used internal volume for years and have never had this.  Maybe see if you can find a step by step to make it happen.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 11:56:25 am »

Same here.  I've used internal for a while, and never had this happen.

So far, I haven't been able to replicate but with additional testing I encountered a different issue that might be related?

I recently set up two zones, each of which uses the same DAC/ASIO driver for a Motu Ultralite. 
If I start playback in one zone and then switch to the second zone and start playback (without stopping first Motu zone), both zones kind of playback at the same time (I have video of this if you are interested). 

Video shows display flashing back and forth between zones and sometimes audio will play for one of the zones, sometimes not, but JRiver is basically frozen at this point until this activity runs it's course.   On one occasion, dialog popped up saying that the zone didn't support the playback options which were selected.

When I had volume issue, I was switching back and forth between these zones.  Perhaps one zone wasn't properly stopped by me, and this playback to two zones could have other side effects?  I'll keep trying other stuff, but so far this is the only out of ordinary behavior I now see that I can reliably duplicate.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2024, 04:47:33 pm »

Ok.  Just had this happen to me again.  I was testing different channel layouts with 10 channel input.  I switched from 5.1 w/2 extra channels to 5.1 w/4 extra channels and volume jumped exponentially.  Same zone w/same volume level before I switched from 2 extra to 4 extra.  It's intermittent for me, but something is going on here. 

I had  switched back and forth between old and new channel systems before this happened, but configured to new channel system when it happened.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2024, 05:04:49 pm »

I'd be curious what Audio Path shows when it's too loud?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2024, 05:36:07 pm »

Interesting.  Never thought to look at that as I was scrambling to stop playback.
But, it's very good point.  If somehow volume leveling was disabled along with anything else such as convolution, that would have been a huge volume increase on this track. 

Next time I encounter it I'll look at audio path.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up