INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Control Button: Debug OSD  (Read 134 times)

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
Remote Control Button: Debug OSD
« on: September 11, 2024, 04:19:37 pm »

Hi all,

I have JRiver 29 installed... soon will be installing JRiver 33, but waiting for some of the kinks to be worked-out 1st.  In the meantime, I'm currently setting-up a Harmony Hub & (Companion) Remote to work with JRiver on my Lenovo laptop.  I'd like to be able to turn on/off with a remote button JRiver's video 'Debug OSD'. 

When choosing between potential 'Devices' to install on my Harmony Hub to control JRiver on my laptop... i see that 'JRiver Media Center' device comes with no presets.   And for both 'Media Center PC SE' and 'Windows Computer', preset buttons appear equivalent.  For the time being, I've opted for 'Windows Computer' as my device-of-choice to be controlled by the Harmony remote (unless there's something better suited to the job?). 

The Harmony presets for 'Windows Computer' device include some multi-key button inputs (ex. Ctrl+A).  Alas, it doesn't allow me to create additional/new simultaneous multi-key button inputs, from what I can see.  However, it does allow me to create my own sequence of inputs - but this is not helpful for my purpose.

For videos in JRiver, I believe the shortcut for the Debug OSD when using MadVR renderer is Ctrl+A.  I can easily find the Harmony preset for that and map it to a button, and it works.  However, I don't typically used MadVR anymore.

My preferred renderer is JRVR (Congrats JRiver crew!).  It seems to me that pressing Ctrl+J has worked a few times to bring-up a Debug OSD in JRVR... but then, most times I've tried it, no.  Perplexing.  Can someone perhaps set me straight on how to bring-up the Debug OSD in JRVR - I'd like to know it without fault. In any case, Harmony doesn't have a preset Ctrl+J input that I can map... and in 'JRiver - Remote - Commands menu', I can't find or figure-out any options for creating such an input for remotes. 

It's a REALLY informative feature, to be able to display/hide that Debug OSD data - I'd love to be able to do it at a touch of a remote button.  Does anyone know if there's a way (or multiple ways) to accomplish this, using a Logitech Harmony Remote?

Cheers!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remote Control Button: Debug OSD
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 01:21:01 am »

MC33 is fine for daily use now.

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
Remote Control Button: Debug OSD
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 03:16:00 pm »

MC33 is fine for daily use now.
Good to know, Jim, thanks.  I suspect the next iteration will be released shortly, so I'll jump in at that time.

As for Debug OSD... i had read some forum posts late last night that involved creating script files, and my eyes glazed over.  After a night of rest, further examination, and some trial and error, I successfully programmed the Debug OSD command onto my Harmony Companion remote. 

I have some extra comments/tips to add at the end of this post, regarding the solution, but I wish to recognize the solution source, posted by forum member Ashfall in Feb 2022.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=post;quote=914492;topic=130657.250
----------------------------------------------
I'm doing this with an HP MCE remote using SendKey commands.  Here's how:

1.  Paste the below into Notepad and save it as SendkeyCTRL+J.wsf

Code: [Select]
<package>
   <job id="vbs">
      <script language="VBScript">
         set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
         WshShell.SendKeys "^j"
      </script>
   </job>
</package>

2.  Paste the below into Notepad and save it as SendkeyCTRL+R.wsf

Code: [Select]
<package>
   <job id="vbs">
      <script language="VBScript">
         set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
         WshShell.SendKeys "^r"
      </script>
   </job>
</package>

4.  For Command Name, enter "MadVR OSD Toggle" or whatever you prefer for CTRL-J.
5.  Click Add, Custom.
6.  Click Add Run, then add the path and file of the wsf file you created in step 1 for CTRL-J.
7.  Click OK twice.
8.  Repeat steps 4-7, but name it "MadVR OSD Refresh" and use the wsf file for CTRL-R.
9.  Select the new commands and click Start Learning to program them to two different buttons on your remote.  Depending on the remote, some buttons won't learn this, but some will, based on my personal experience.
----------------------------------------------

Personally, I'm satisfied implementing only the 1st of the 2 script commands outlined.  I'd only edit Ashfall's written steps to make it a bit clearer for a layman like myself, as follows:

1.  Create .wsf file(s) as directed above.

2.  Make sure you stash the .wsf file(s) somewhere appropriate on your drive (anywhere works), as JRiver will forevermore need to find it, so long as it remains a command in the Remote Control section of JRiver settings.

3.  In JRiver, go to Tools - Options - Remote Control.  Click 'Add - Custom'.

4.  For Command Name, enter "JRVR Debug OSD Toggle" or whatever you prefer for CTRL+J.

5.  For Command Actions, click 'Commands - Add Run', select 'All Files (*.*)' and then point 'Executable Filename' to the .wsf file you created in step 1 for CTRL+J, and you're done creating the 1st of 2 suggested commands.

6.  If desired, repeat steps 4 & 5, but name it "JRVR Debug OSD Refresh" and point JRiver to the .wsf file for CTRL+R.

7.  Next, teach JRiver what physical remote control button(s) you wish to map to your newly created command(s).  Select a new command(s) and click 'Start Learning'... press the remote control button you wish to use... and JRiver should receive the signal and map/learn the appropriate button for that new command (assumes the computer which JRiver is on has an IR Receiver or is connected via Bluetooth to your remote system (ex. Harmony Hub)). 

Further note from Ashfall:  'Depending on the remote, some buttons won't learn this, but some will, based on my personal experience.'

ATTENTION ALL:  Watch-out for 2.4Ghz & Bluetooth Signals When Mapping Remote Buttons!!!

Setup:  My Harmony Companion remote control fires RF signals to my Harmony Hub... and my HHub sends Bluetooth signals to my computer/JRiver (optionally, I could have it set to blast IR signals).  For my laptop/computer mouse, I have a wireless Kensington Trackball connecting via a 2.4Ghz USB nano receiver (optionally could connect via Bluetooth).

Observation:  After setting-up the .wsf Ctrl+J command and teaching JRiver the button I wish to use on my remote, i tried it out during video playback and the command acted unreliably!  The Debug OSD would show up as soon as a video started... and the remote button didn't do anything, though the OSD would appear and disappear seemingly at random intervals!  I tried a few different things with JRiver and with Harmony Hub button programming, but nothing worked... UNTIL by happenstance, i noticed that the Debug OSD would appear and disappear at each new movement of my Trackball... and then I observed that not to be the case with my laptop's touchpad! I then unplugged the 2.4Ghz USB dongle for my Trackball... the Debug OSD stopped appearing/disappearing, but the remote still wasn't able to control the Debug OSD.  So with the 2.4Ghz dongle still unplugged, I tried remapping the remote button in JRiver and... PRESTO, it works beautifully now! 

Plugged my Trackball 2.4Ghz dongle back in, and still no issue - it was only a problem during the few seconds I spent trying to map the remote button.  Especially odd 'cause the remote signal I was teaching JRiver with was via a Bluetooth connection with Harmony Hub, not 2.4GHz.  Anyways - something for community here to be aware of... competing signals of ANY type, messing things up, while teaching JRiver your physical remote buttons to map.

Cheers, ya'll!
Pages: [1]   Go Up