INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver as DLNA Controller  (Read 229 times)

vinko

JRiver as DLNA Controller
« on: October 05, 2024, 09:13:09 am »

I’m using the JRiver MC on Windows as a DLNA controller.

The DLNA server is Minim Server, which runs on a NAS, and the DLNA renderer is an AV receiver.

MC doesn’t display song images. But I found that if I play it from an internal disk first, it displays graphics. I created an additional library on a local disk to play something from it first and then form Minim Server. This is a temporary folder with sound samples, and its content changes frequently. Unfortunately, MC can’t update the library. It only adds new files but doesn’t remove erased ones, regardless of the “Fix broken links” setting.

I don't understand why this setting exists. Perhaps this setting explains why MC is unable to perform basic file system operations. So, before I play a sound file from the local disk, I must first erase and recreate the local library. Next, I play a file from the local disk before switching to Minim Server.

MC could update the library from the local disk in the first two or three weeks. I completely reinstalled MC twice, and it was the same. It worked for a couple of weeks, then stopped updating the library.

I use it because it applies Replay Gain, and because it has a beautiful interface.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver as DLNA Controller
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2024, 11:37:46 am »

The DLNA Controller only controls playback.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

You would maybe be happier to use MC in all three roles, or at least use it for server and controller.

Import your files directly from the NAS into MC's library.  Then use it to play to the renderer.

vinko

Re: JRiver as DLNA Controller
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2024, 01:26:30 pm »

This NAS functions as a home server. My family members are not using it just for streaming music but also for sharing home videos, photos, and documents. It also acts as a private Internet cloud.
Thank you for the idea, but I prefer the current configuration.
However, I believe that JRiver MC functions as a DLNA server, even in my situation. That is the way it can apply Replay Gain information. There are free DLNA controllers, but you can hear different music volumes if you prefer to listen to them in shuffle mode. I don’t like to hear that. Hence, I decided to use JRiver MC. It worked well, but only until I purchased a license for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up