INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jriver and synology...  (Read 333 times)

pamillet

• Recent member
jriver and synology...
« on: October 09, 2024, 02:06:10 am »

My HDD is now to small, and i want to change it, perhaps for a NAS...
so i try to understand how jriver can use a NAS...
I find a clear answer in an old post (below)

Is there something new since this post ?
for example, is it possible to install a jriver on a Synology ?
or is the synology media server usable to create a jriver library ?

thanks...

sg60,

I had one other thought. Or rather, a memory.

Before building a dedicated CAPS v4 Cortes to store and serve music, I kept my music files on a Synology NAS. I was using MC on Windows PCs for management, curation, and playback. I recall running into numerous problems, including stuttering playback that were caused by having the Synology Media Server app running. The problems resolved when I disabled and uninstalled the Synology Media Server package.

If you're storing your music on a NAS, you want the NAS to be functioning as a file server only - not a uPnP server or an OpenHome server, etc. If you're using a Synology NAS, be sure the following are not running: Audio Station, iTunes Server, Logitech Media Server, (Synology) Media Server, Minim Server, Plex Media Server, (Synology) Video Station.

And, again, good luck!
-Brent

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Autumn shade...
Re: jriver and synology...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2024, 05:30:21 am »

Basically it's best if using a NAS to mount it as a network drive to whatever device you're using (a Windows PC, Mac, etc.) and with MC running on the device import the files like you would normally.

It's not really recommended to try running MC on a NAS. Doing so requires virtualization and most NASes are underpowered to begin with so it could run very slow, so not really recommended. JRiver themselves don't support running MC on NASes (anything like that is done by third-parties with tutorials and Docker containers and whatnot).

I will warn you though before adding a NAS to your network... make sure your local network is fast enough. If it's old and outdated (e.g. it's not using at least 1 gigabit all around for ethernet) file transfer speeds between devices and the NAS can be slower than doing transfers via an internal HDD or something like that. NASes and drives can be very expensive too, so depending on your needs it may be cheaper and more simple to just upgrade the existing HDD with a larger drive. Especially if you're forced to upgrade your network to accommodate adding a NAS to it.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from "male enhancements" and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 24H2 Update 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.10 Oracular Oriole 64-bit | Windows 11 24H2 Update 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/500GB M.2 NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 33 (Windows + Linux) | iFi ZEN DAC 3 | JBL 306P MkII Studio Monitors | Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up