INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Questions while we are waiting.  (Read 1313 times)

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
A Questions while we are waiting.
« on: January 04, 2003, 06:27:47 pm »

While we are waiting for the new build, I dop it is ok to ask a question to the general community.

It is not related to MC but I would like to ask about LCD Monitors.

I saw several at Best Buy and the three that looked the best were Viewsonic VA720 (17inch), Sony SDM-S81 (18inch) and the Mitsubishi NX85LCD-BK (18.1inch).

The ones that I like most was the Mitsubishi because it had DVI and RGB interface, great black color and much better/vivid color reproduction.

The only thing is that I was worried about the text and some specifications: 350 contrast, .281 dot pitch. The text - on the display model in the store - looked fairly poor.

Does anyone think that this could just be because there was a problem with the store model?

The mitsubishi has a large display and I like the colors, etc.

Should I go for this one?

Gary ?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: A Questions while we are waiting.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 06:40:40 pm »

Do you play games at all? Specifically first person shooter games like Quake or Unreal? If so, I would definitely stay away from lcd's for now. They don't handle fast motion very well from what I've seen.

Other than that, I really have no input into this. The one lcd I had a chance to work on up close came from Dell. I have no idea what the specifications on it were, but the image quality looked really nice to me. This was solely for business use, though.

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 08:11:41 pm »

Specs and gaming aside, make them hook the display directly to a computer and run it at it's best resolution before you buy it.   I was in Best Buy last week looking at 17" LCDs (I already have 2 15" LCDs and I love them for text and static graphics) and they all looked terrible because they're all run through a splitter system from a single PC and they're all set to the lowest common resolution ( 1024x768 ).    The Samsung, Sony and Mitsubishi all looked the same (to me anyway) but the Samsung had a smaller footprint and space is tight.  Of course, they were out of stock.  :(

Oh, If the store won't hook it up for you to give it a reality check, ask them if you can bring it back for a full refund without a restocking fee if you don't like it when you get home.   Take names.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

rocketsauce

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 09:36:23 pm »

They don't handle fast motion very well from what I've seen.

I've also heard the same about those $3000.00 LCD flatscreen TVs  :o

Rob

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 11:55:23 pm »

I checked out the LCD's because I don't really do much gaming. I have also noticed the motion artifacts common amoung LCD's. But I don't think that will be much of a problem for me.

I had Best Buy hook up the Mitsubishi and Samsung on a pc for me. The general image looked great but the text was horrible. I asked to check the monitors on another computer and, to my delight, he agreed. The text much much improved.

The guys at the Best Buy, that I went to, were very helpful.

I would like about 18" and DVI interface so I am leaning towards the Mitsubishi.

Since I mostly surf, edit web pages and listed to music (via MC) I think an LCD would be a good choice. It would save on space and I really like the fact that it is easy on the eyes.

Also, I read the white paper on the Mitsubishi page. They said to check that the LCD is ISO 13406-2 Class 2 Device. That means it is not supposed to have more than 5 dead pixels or else it is defective. An ISO 13406-2 Class 1 Device means not even one should be bad. So, the Mitsubishi rating of Class 2 must be pretty good..... I hope.  ;D

Thank you all for the help and have a great weekend.  :)

Gary

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2003, 11:58:55 pm »

P.S. I am sorry about the type-o's on my last message. I am burning the midnight oil.  :P

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 01:21:47 am »

As long as you won't watch movies an LCD is nice. But the PQ on movies is lousy because of the slow update. You'll see (at least I see it, and it annoys me) ghosting of the images.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

retrospek

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Hello !
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 03:48:51 am »

I've got the 18" Samsung Syncmaster 181T which comes with both a DVI and VGA connector.  This means I can run it off of two PC's at the same time.

It also has the pivot function - where I can turn the screen to be in portrait mode.

Just watch out for the 'bad pixels' as they say they are allowed a few - but personally I don't want any when I'm paying this much for a screen.  If you buy from a shop get them to connect it up first and see if you can see any bad pixels when you have a dark image on the screen (luckily this one doesn't have any).

Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up