INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ9 Freezes during CD Rip  (Read 6821 times)

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
MJ9 Freezes during CD Rip
« on: November 30, 2002, 06:17:45 am »

I just upgraded to MJ9 from MJ8.  I completely removed MJ8 first and the install went fine.

Now, when I go to rip a CD, it completes the "copy" phase of the first song, but freezes during encoding (progress meter does not start to register).  Even after selecting "cancel", the display changes to "cancelling" but remains frozen and never completes.  Must do Ctrl-Alt-Del and stop program from the task manager.

I have tried using MP3 encoding at both 256 and 320 - and have checked "high quality" in the advanced tab.

I am running XP pro edition on a Dell 4300 w/1.8G processor and plenty of RAM and disk space.  No previous problem existed in MJ8 with same rip settings.

Help please.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MJ9 Freezes during CD Rip
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 06:29:28 am »

Try reinstalling the MP3 encoder plug-in from our downloads page.

Try VBR (as a test).

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 06:36:19 am »

Just tried both.

Same result.  Copy completes, but program stops responding at beginning of encoding.  Responds to "cancel" button (display changes) but still frozen.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 06:56:52 am »

yesterday i converted some wav files to MP3 VBR and when doing so it also froze up on me. may have been a bad wave in the bunch or something else with the encoder.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 06:57:22 am »

Check your settings for the temp folder in MJ.

Try encoding to APE.

Try ripping to Wav.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 07:16:05 am »

JimH:

1.  Encoding to APE does not freeze, but indicates "Failed" as status.

2.  Ripping to WAV asks "Do you want to try another track" after ripping, and then indicates "Failed" for the status of the track just copied.

I unchecked "Delete temp files" and in BOTH cases above, the program leaves a fully function WAV file in C:\Music\Temp that can be played back in MJ.

What next?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2002, 07:22:19 am »

Download the latest build, 9.0.84, from the first thread here.  Once you have installed it, do MJ Help/Copy system info and paste it here.

Double/triple check all your settings for where the files go.  Are you telling MJ to put the file on a non-existant drive, for example?

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 07:22:26 am »

A little more info for JimH:

Even when using MP3 encoding, there is a fully functional WAV file left in the temp folder (it plays all the way through in MJ) when I uncheck the option to delete temp files.

Don't know if this helps, but thought it might.

Also, although cancelling in the "CD Rip" box hangs, I can close MJ in the main window and both the program and rip box close.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2002, 07:37:28 am »

JimH:

Downloaded and reinstalled.  Also changed files destination from the network drive I've used successfully in MJ to local folder C:\Music (the superfolder of where the WAV files are successfully ripped to).

Same results.

Here is the system info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.84 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1692 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 764 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive I: _NEC NR-7800A   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2002, 08:03:23 am »

I don't know what the problem is.  Try changing more of the options for ripping.  It's possible that it isn't encoding that is the problem, but ripping -- that it is dying when it tries to rip the second track.  Ripping two tracks to wav might also fail.

I would try turning off "digital playback"  and "rip and encode simultaneously" as well as cover lookup.

I'm afraid I can't help beyond that.  You'll have to keep trying or wait until Monday when someone else from JRiver may have an idea.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2002, 08:16:40 am »

JIMH:

SEE COMMENTS INTERLACED.

I don't know what the problem is.  Try changing more of the options for ripping.  It's possible that it isn't encoding that is the problem, but ripping -- that it is dying when it tries to rip the second track.  Ripping two tracks to wav might also fail.

RIPPING 1 TRACK TO WAV PRODUCES A STATUS OF "FAILED".  HOWEVER, THE COMPLETE WAV FILE IS STORED IN THE "C:\MUSIC\TEMP" STORAGE LOCATION AND IS - AS I SAID - FULLY FUNCTIONAL MEANING IT PLAYS ALL THE WAY THROUGH IN MJ.

AS YOU SUGGEST LATER, I HAD TURNED OFF "SIMULATNEOUS RIPPING AND ENCODING" FOR ALL THESE TEST RUNS.  RIPPING FINISHES, ENCODING STARTS AND THEN IT HANGS.  NEVER MAKES IT TO THE 2ND TRACK REGARDLESS OF ENCODING SCEME.  WITH "WAV" I GET AN ADVISORY ASKING ME IF I WANT TO TRY ANOTHER FILE.

I would try turning off "digital playback"  

NO EFFECT.

and "rip and encode simultaneously" as well as cover lookup.

I'm afraid I can't help beyond that.  You'll have to keep trying or wait until Monday when someone else from JRiver may have an idea.

WILL YOU PLEASE GET SOMEONE TO FOLLOW UP ON MONDAY.   I DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS EITHER.

SHOULD I JUST REINSTALL VERSION 8??  WILL I RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS IF I DO THAT??

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2002, 08:34:19 am »

JimH:

Reinstalled version 8.0392 and everything runs fine.  The program rips and encodes to my network drive.

The only difference I can see is that V9 species the output file info with brackets around the characteristics and V8 does not.

For example, v9 uses "[Album]-[Arist]" while V8 uses "Album-Artist".  Could this be a problem?

Also, I don't use spaces between characteristics.  Could this be related?

Just trying to think of anything that is different.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2002, 03:15:37 am »

Just bumping this up as I haven't heard anything from JRiver as to how to proceed.

Thank you.

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2002, 10:48:53 am »

This is strange. It sounds like it fails when it goes to import the track into the MJ database. Did you have any trouble importing or playing other music in MJ 9?
Have you tried it with "simultaneous encoding" enabled?
Maybe try uninstalling and having it remove registry entries and database files, then re-installing.
Do the sound recorder and format converter work (on the tools menu)?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2002, 01:57:27 pm »

JohnT:

This is strange. It sounds like it fails when it goes to import the track into the MJ database. Did you have any trouble importing or playing other music in MJ 9?

NO.  I CAN IMPORT, PLAY AND ORGANIZE MP3 FILES WITH NO PROBLEM.

Have you tried it with "simultaneous encoding" enabled?

YES. IT HANGS THE SAME WAY.  THAT'S WHY I TURNED THAT OFF - IN ORDER TO ISOLATE WHETHER THE PROBLEM WAS IN READING FROM MY CD DRIVE OR ENCODING - IT COMPLETES THE COPY AND HANGS WHEN ENCODING STARTS.

Maybe try uninstalling and having it remove registry entries and database files, then re-installing.

I DID THIS AND NO CHANGE.

Do the sound recorder and format converter work (on the tools menu)?  

DON'T KNOW...NEVER USED THOSE FEATURES AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DO.

I REPEAT MY PLEA TO JRiver AND ANYONE ELSE FOR HELP HERE.  I DON'T WANT TO BE STUCK WITH VERSION 8 AND MISS OUT ON ALL THE IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 9!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2002, 02:20:26 pm »

Please don't use all caps.  They're considered SHOUTING.

A more standard way to indicate you're replying is:

> I have a question.

Yes, but I have the answer.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2002, 02:30:06 pm »

Sorry about the format JimH...but I could use some help on the substance.

When I reported this problem last weekend, my understanding was that you would get someone to follow up with me on Monday when others came in.

What do you suggest to get this resolved?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2002, 02:41:57 pm »

JohnT is the expert on this.  The only thing I can suggest is doing a search.  There have been some weird solutions found by people with similar problems.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2002, 06:25:15 pm »

JimH:

So that's it.  No other help offered by JRiver as a company to get things working?

I've seen your reponses to posts with problems throughout the board and you're always reassuring customers that you'll stay the long haul to get things working.  That's one of the main reasons I decided to purchase the product.

Are you really saying I'm on my own if JohnT (who I don't think is with JRiver) can't help??

Surely,

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2002, 03:15:45 am »

Are you really saying I'm on my own if JohnT (who I don't think is with JRiver) can't help??

Johnt wrote most of the CD code.  He works for JRiver.

Some problems are not our problems.  They can turn out to be problems with the OS, hardware, or drivers.  

Some problems we can't solve.  Nobody is giving up, but I can't tell you any more.

Again, there is a lot of information on these boards if you will dig for it.  Try reading older posts for ideas.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2002, 03:25:33 am »

JimH:

Ok, I'll try and work it through with JohnT.

Could you possible point me to any particular threads that would help

Thanks.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2002, 05:00:26 am »

Some additional information:

I suspect the problem is in writing the files out, as "Rename Files From Properties" no longer works for me either.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2002, 05:02:53 am »

Sorry...I hit send too early in the previous post.

...continued from above...

It also doesn't make sense to me that its anything other than MJ9 as I can remove Version 9 and reinstall Version 8 and everything is fine.

JohnT

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2002, 05:32:41 am »

Some additional information:
I suspect the problem is in writing the files out, as "Rename Files From Properties" no longer works for me either.
That's good information. Can you bring up the "File Naming  & Location" page in MJ and copy/paste all the settings you have there into a posting here? Then I can try the same settings here and see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2002, 05:40:28 am »

JohnT:

I can do that if you'd like, but I've tried several different locations and formats.  Originally - and currently in my MJ8 version - I used a network drive...but thinking that may be a problem, I switched the destination to "C:\Music" on my local computer.  No change in result.

My settings for directories and location are as follows:

[ARTIST]^[ALBUM]   for directory...
[ARTIST]^[ALBUM]^[TRACK#]^[NAME] for file

I used these same setting - minus the brackets - in MJ8 without a problem.  Could the brackets be an issue???  I only used them because that's the choice in the drop down menu.

JohnT

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2002, 05:58:43 am »

JohnT:

I can do that if you'd like, but I've tried several different locations and formats.  Originally - and currently in my MJ8 version - I used a network drive...but thinking that may be a problem, I switched the destination to "C:\Music" on my local computer.  No change in result.

My settings for directories and location are as follows:

[ARTIST]^[ALBUM]   for directory...
[ARTIST]^[ALBUM]^[TRACK#]^[NAME] for file

I used these same setting - minus the brackets - in MJ8 without a problem.  Could the brackets be an issue???  I only used them because that's the choice in the drop down menu.
I tried this on my computer (running XP) and it worked ok, although using "[TRACK#]" instead of "[TRACK #]" resulted in no track number in  the name, just the literal "[TRACK#]" embedded in the filename.
Try choosing one of the preset choices for both directory rule and filename rule just to eliminate possible problems with your custom templates.
For testing, leave the encoder set at "uncompressed wave" and enable "simultaneous rip/encode". Also ensure your base path location is valid, has sufficient disk space, and isn't locked by read-only permission.

Another thought, try using the shortest presets for directory and filename rules, perhaps you have some very long track names that cause the final filename to be extremely long? Try a CD with short artist/album/track names.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2002, 07:43:47 am »

I tried this on my computer (running XP) and it worked ok, although using "[TRACK#]" instead of "[TRACK #]" resulted in no track number in  the name, just the literal "[TRACK#]" embedded in the filename.  Try choosing one of the preset choices for both directory rule and filename rule just to eliminate possible problems with your custom templates.

I reinstalled and now am able to "Rename Files From Properties" without a problem...wierd!

For testing, leave the encoder set at "uncompressed wave" and enable "simultaneous rip/encode". Also ensure your base path location is valid, has sufficient disk space, and isn't locked by read-only permission.

I did this and I get an error "Failed to Create Wav File/Do you want to try another file?"

Another thought, try using the shortest presets for directory and filename rules, perhaps you have some very long track names that cause the final filename to be extremely long? Try a CD with short artist/album/track names.

File and directory names don't appear to be the problem - although I did use a short album with short names...an album with no problems in MJ8.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2002, 07:48:29 am »

I tried to separate my comments from yours JohnT in the previous post, but it obviously didn't work...how do you "block" comments from another post???

Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to read this now. :D

I tried this on my computer (running XP) and it worked ok, although using "[TRACK#]" instead of "[TRACK #]" resulted in no track number in  the name, just the literal "[TRACK#]" embedded in the filename.  Try choosing one of the preset choices for both directory rule and filename rule just to eliminate possible problems with your custom templates.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2002, 08:06:01 am »

>> how do you "block" comments from another post
Look On The Message For "Quote" this will quote the message and put you in the reply message option.

Testing One Two Three

Or Use

[ quote] Testing One Two Three [/quote]

take the space out of in front of quote and you will see the text in a block.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2002, 08:17:58 am »

Or Use

[ quote] Testing One Two Three

take the space out of in front of quote and you will see the text in a block. [/quote]

Thanks King!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2002, 08:28:39 am »

RandyR

Could You Try A Rip And Uncheck The Following (For A test)

[_] Enable On-Line CD Lookup
[_] Calculate Replay Gain
[_] Get Coverart from internet

and see what happens.

i have just riped about 10 cd's with dif settings and i can not reproduce your problem.

I just checked my encoder version and it is version 2.0.50

My output base path is

c:\Music\
Temp File Location
c:\Music\Temp\

And i have something like 20 gigs free.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2002, 08:42:45 am »

i was just re-reading the tread, and it seems you tried turning off the options i sugested.

i really don't know what to tell you.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2002, 08:45:56 am »

King.

Did it.  Same results. "Failed to create WAV file" error message.

I have the same file outlet locations you do as well.  All are default settings.

What is so strange is that I can reinstall V8 and everything is fine.  I'm wondering if V9 uses a modified windows file that is not installing.

Randy

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2002, 08:52:08 am »

anything like that is hard for me to say, and the only think i know is MC9 is using places in the registry that are diffrent than MJ8 and that changed about 9.0.72 I think it was.

the problem with testing early betas of MJ9 is they are now expired so it would be hard to go back and test if the early beta of MJ9 worked.

I am not sure if setting the system date back a month would help test a early MJ9 beta out.

it would be interesting to know if it worked or not.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2002, 08:55:39 am »

have you ever tried to delete C:\music\temp

MC will re create it.

if there is something wrong with the dir maybe thats why MC can not create wav file? (not sure why MJ8 would work and MC9 would not, but who knows)

edited:

Another thing, are you using the same CD or have you tried other CD's and does it do the same thing with them?

Fayetteville, NC, USA

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2002, 12:08:20 pm »

The directory is not the problem.   I deleted it and same thing happens.  Also, same result if I change directories to some other location.

Happens with all CDs.

It seems to me MJ9 is just unable to write to the file, which makes me suspect its an incompatible windows driver of something of that ilk.  I assume MJ uses Windows APIs to write files, yes?

I wonder if JRiver changed anything in terms of file writing between V8 and V9???

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2002, 12:20:44 pm »

Have you tried updating Windows?  You can do it from IE/Windows Update.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2002, 12:28:12 pm »

Jimh:

I'm running Windows XP-Pro Edition w/auto updating.  Should I be doing something else?  There are tons of updates available and I don't want to install them all - I have all the "critical updates" automatically installed.

Also, the fact that I can reinstall V8 and the problem goes away leads me to suspect there has to be something different in file creation/writing between the two versions or V9 is updating some windows dlls.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2002, 12:36:21 pm »

I would still try the Windows Update in IE.

Also, I've forgotten whether you looked at disabling any of the other software that is running on your PC.

JohnT

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2002, 10:45:32 am »

JimH:
I unchecked "Delete temp files" and in BOTH cases above, the program leaves a fully function WAV file in C:\Music\Temp that can be played back in MJ.

What next?
This seems to indicate that simply writing the wave file isn't the problem, but moving it to the final location and/or importing into the MJ database is the problem. Did you try manually copying the file from the Temp directory to the final destination directory (as defined by your settings in File Naming & Location), then importing into MJ?

Also, you never said if you tried using the presets in "File Naming & Location" for directory and filename rules. Maybe your custom ones aren't working. For example, try [ARTIST]\[ALBUM] for directory rule and [TRACK #] - [NAME] for filename rule.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2002, 11:02:46 am »

John T,

This seems to indicate that simply writing the wave file isn't the problem, but moving it to the final location and/or importing into the MJ database is the problem.

I can now import and rename files from both my local drive and network drives without any problems.  However, I can't write the .wav file out after ripping.  Again, the file created in the temp directory is fine.

Did you try manually copying the file from the Temp directory to the final destination directory (as defined by your settings in File Naming & Location), then importing into MJ?

Haven't tried this, but I can if you think I should.

Also, you never said if you tried using the presets in "File Naming & Location" for directory and filename rules. Maybe your custom ones aren't working. For example, try [ARTIST]\[ALBUM] for directory rule and [TRACK #] - [NAME] for filename rule.

Did try this and it made no difference.  Still gave me "Failed To Create Wav File"  error message.

I also remember that I had an earlier version of MJ9 installed at one point that ran OK...but don't know what version it was.  If you want to e-mail me an earlier version, I will install and check it...if you think that will help.

Randy

PS:  I really appreciate your continued efforts JohnT.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2002, 11:03:21 am »

>> but moving it to the final location and/or
>> importing into the MJ database is the problem.
that makes sence.

[My 2 Cents]

But if this is true Should not MC check for this problem to make sure it is a valid drive, and that it can be opened to transfer files.

I think i will play with this to re create the problem later this afternoon.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

patdevlin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2002, 05:31:59 pm »

I Have had trouble ripping in 9.0 to a network drive.  In verion 8 I could just tell Media jukebox the location for audio files in the Options page.  Now the only way I can get it to write to that drie is if I use Window to Map a network drive and then set up the Options page to send audio files to the maaped drive ( in my case Y:\)

This works but I would rather do it the old way so that i can just copy the database files to other network computers.

urlybird

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .^.^.^......... ..^.^.^..
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2002, 07:28:11 pm »

Ripping is working fine for me other than the fact that it locks up MC9. Very similiar to the way MC9 locks up when you get coverart from the Internet. I can still play music and control it only by the media buttons on my keyboard - all MC 9 functions locked.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional with SP3 and all the latest fixes (including Directx 8.1). I would cut and paste MC 9 system info but I am locked up while doing coverart. running MC 9.087

======================================

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2002, 09:52:35 pm »

It seems the same problem that I have when using Sound Recorder with the MP3 encoder (I've posted it in the 84 and 85 build threads): MC9 freezes and causes various errors. Recording works well if I use the WMA encoder. Then it seems a problem with the MP3 encoder, rather than with MC9 (but MJ8 worked fine).  
Luigi
Luigi1943

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2002, 02:48:40 am »

I have sort of been able to reproduce this problem.

What I Did Was Change The Base Path

Was "C:\Music\"

Now Erased "C:\Music\"

MC Insereted "\"

when you go to encode MC does freeze

the same thing happens with path "C:Music\"

this may or may not hav anything to do with your problem but it Kind of sounds the same.

maybe if you go back in and change all the paths using the MC path explorer (thats sounds like a good name for it, The button to the right of the paths). and then try again.

I did notice you miss spelled in a message above

>> For example, v9 uses "[Album]-[Arist]"

but when testing it that did not seem to be a problem. it did not work correctly but it continued to encode.

Even if the paths are correct it may for some reason it can not read or write to the Dir and it may reproduce the same problem. (maybe dir locked, corrupt, full etc...)

this may also be true if it is trying to write to Path "C:" (Root) where i think the max is still 256 or 512 files on the root.

what i find interesting if you go in a manualy edit the path MC will always add a "\" to the path when you exit the menu. but if you use the path locator button (to the right) MC does not add The "\" to the end of the path.

If you enter [ARTIST\] MC does not check and convert it to "_" if it is between brackets like it does other Non valid Chrs
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2002, 04:23:04 am »

I have tried changing the destination path to various alternatives and it doesn't seem to impact the result.  Also updated Windows as JimH suggested, but again no different.

I'm wondering what exact conditions in the MJ code trigger the error message I am getting from MJ9.  Given, there is a specific error condition produced, seems to me that's the place to start looking for the problem, yes?

I've reinstalled MJ8 in order to be able to do some productive work, but am more than willing to install MJ9 again if anyone has a direction to go in.

fdgsdfg

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2002, 04:45:01 am »

Randy,

I think there is a ripping bug within versions 9.x.  It is unclear whether JRiver has come to understand this yet or whether they intend to address this bug in subsequent versions.

The support I've received regarding this ripping bug has been spotty at best, and nonresponsive at worst.  

See also: http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1038584190 and

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1039023604

JohnT

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2002, 07:20:19 am »

RandyR-
I can replicate the problem KingSparta had when he was trying to reproduce the problem. That will get fixed. It seems like your problem must be related, there must be something funny about the file naming & location settings, or the directories they point to.
Can you post a screen snapshot of your File Naming & Location page, or at least copy & paste your "Base Path" and "Temporary File Location" fields into a posting? Also, what does it show in the "Sample" box at the bottom?
Alternatively, you could install the next build and see if it just fixes the problem for you.

- John T.
JRiver, Inc.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2002, 07:25:01 am »

JohnT,

I'll try it on the next build.  If I still have the problem, I'll post the information you're asking for.  When will the next build be available?

Is that OK?

RandyR
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up