INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview XIII...  (Read 10424 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview XIII...
« on: October 25, 2002, 10:47:16 am »

There's an update version of the Media Jukebox 9.0 preview here, but FIRST PLEASE READ THIS:    

IMPORTANT-- This is only a preview -- some things don't work, some things crash, and your data may not be safe. Don't use this preview with files that can't be replaced. If you don't consider yourself an expert with Media Jukebox, please wait for a later release. Backup your database (and files) before doing anything else.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download the preview here:    

MediaJukebox90070.exe has been replaced by:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90071.exe

(The newer build should fix the beta expiration problems reported.)

Changes  

1. NEW: Added wizard-style search modifiers -- no more remembering cryptic keywords. (limits, db location, etc.)
2. NEW: Added special search wizard for numeric fields.
3. Fixed: Handhelds working (mostly) again.
4. Fixed: ~sort= modifiers with invalid fields would crash MJ
5. Fixed: Empty parenthesis could trip up the MJ search engine in certain cases.
6. Fixed: Typo in "Favorites -- listented to today" auto-smartlist.
7. Fixed: Sorting could not work correctly in some cases if the first album in a list was empty.
8. Fixed: "Organize Favorites" had the wrong dialog title.
9. Changed: Several optimizations to make view creation and switching faster. (over 3 times faster than before)
10. Changed: Tree drawing now faster and more efficient in skinned mode.
11. Fixed: Media Jukebox could sometimes crash when switching views in thumbnail mode.
12. Fixed: Last "Send To" item could be changed to "Configure Tools..." if you selected it through the bar at the top of the tree.
13. Fixed: Data CD folder naming was using actual keywords (i.e. ARTIST\ALBUM) instead of the what the keywords mean. (i.e. Dylan\Hits)
14. Changed: Database upgrade prompt now states that Media Jukebox 9 can not run without allowing it to upgrade.
15. Fixed: Import report dialog works again.
16. Fixed: If the first file in a playlist failed to play, Media Jukebox would not behave properly.
17. Changed: Media Jukebox now displays a warning if playback stops because multiple consecutive files have an error.
18. Fixed: Drop target highlighting wasn't working during drag-n-drop.
19. Changed: Readable file sizes now use "203 bytes" instead of "203Bytes" and "3.450MB" to "3.450 MB".
20. Changed: CD filenames displayed better. (i.e. (0x34302123):\\1.mp3 now Greatest Hits\1.mp3)
21. Fixed: Typing a search fast enough, followed by an [Enter] could cause the wrong files to be played.

Keep in mind that at this stage, we're getting more bug reports than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.    

Thanks for your help, support, and patience.

-Matt    
JRiver
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview XIII...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 10:49:48 am »

The fact that we keep using the same message over-and-over sort of waters down the "thank you" part, so let us say it again:  thanks so much for all of the help and support!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 10:55:20 am »

Thanks so much for giving us such an awesome piece of software. :)

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 10:58:49 am »

3. Fixed: Handhelds working (mostly) again.

Sweet!  I can't wait to get home and try out Steve's iPod plugin with v9!  Life keeps getting better and better!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2002, 11:24:04 am »

One strange thing I've been meaning to ask about for a long time is...

Each time I download a new version of MJ from JRiver' site, IE 6 produces a totally blank page.  I simply delete the page & all is well & the download is normal from that point on.

The first few times this happened, I thought the download had failed until I discovered the download screen was hiding under the blank IE6 screen.

Anyone know how to stop this very rude thing from happining? ?

It seems to only happen on this forum as I have not noticed it on other sites.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2002, 11:52:54 am »

I love the new Search Wizards. Very easy to use, very elegant. One question though.

Is Sort not finished? Because right now, all it will let me do is stick a number in the box. I have no idea what the number means. I put in 3 and it doesn't seem to really do anything. So I'm guessing that it's not finished and that eventually we'll see some sort of fancy, multiple field sort dialog box, right? :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2002, 11:56:31 am »

Sort isn't done, but it's just an accident that it's "numbers only" right now.  Doh.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2002, 11:57:55 am »

DocLotus> I think what you're seeing is IE spawning a window that then launches a script to begin the download. Usually that window closes automatically. It does on mine at least, as soon as the Save dialog box appears.

michel

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2002, 12:51:57 pm »

It does on mine at least, as soon as the Save dialog box appears.

It closes also on mine.
(Using IE6 SP1)

RemyJ

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2002, 01:54:24 pm »

Current Status...

Problems fixed (ones I reported, anyway)...

• The title of the Organize Favorites dialog box is "Manage External Tools" instead of "Organize Favorites". Fixed
  • I get
    Application popup: MEDIA JUKEBOX: Media Jukebox.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00535140" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
    exceptions whenever I edit smartlist sort criteria and enter an unrecognized database field. Given my typing skills, I get this a lot. Fixed
  • When I try to access either my zip drive or smart media adapter from CD, DVD, & Handhelds, I get the following error followed by an MJ crash:
    "Invalid list operation.  standard list data object doesn't have a media file info array.  (programmer error)" Fixed
  • 12. Fixed: With certain smartlist queries, Media Jukebox could prompt to save changes, even if no changes were made.
    Still does this for "needs audio analysis" and "empty properties"  Fixed
  • The Details message after an import always says "Media Jukebox did not find any new files to import" even after importing 12,000 files.  Fixed
  • For data CDs the directory structure is literally written as "ARTIST\ALBUM" instead of the actual artist and album names.  Fixed

Problems open...

• Right-clicking on a CD and selecting "Update from CD Database" doesn't actually go out to YADB.

• Converting MP3 to WAV (as a test) with the results directed to a new directory.  The wav file is created in the new location correctly but then MJ attempts to copy it over the original mp3 file with the mp3 file extension. I.E.  I get a pop-up that asks if I want to replace file "original name.mp3" with size 5mb with "original name.mp3" with size 52mb.

• A View Scheme consisting solely of Album always has an empty "(unassigned)" entry

• I started playing with the Auto Album Artist thingie.   I took a mix cd that was previously "Various Artists" for the artist and renamed the artist for each of the tracks to the actual artist keeping the same album title for all.  The Auto Album Artist picked this up nicely and I got a new entry in the media view for "(Multiple Artists)".  The problem is that when I then renamed the tracks so they fall in the correct artist directories, I lost the "(Multiple Artist)" tree entry and I now get single album/tracks under the original artist.

• You can't "group" album artist in a view scheme.  You can check the "Add a grouping level..." box but the size field is not unprotected and the box check isn't remembered.  So I can't use both the cool new grouping feature and the cool new auto album artist feature at the same time unless I create 2 view schemes.

• There's an inconsistency between "last played" and "number of plays".  I have last played times within the past 24 hours that have numberplays set to 0.  The "Top Hits -- listened to today" smartlist highlights this.

• Discs with only 2 tracks are showing up as incomplete albums:

Bob Dylan, Love and Theft (Disc 2)
     Mother Love Bone, Mother Love Bone Bonus Disc
     Sade, Lovers Live (Bonus CD)

(The fact that the word "Love" appears in each album name has to be a coincidence, doesn't it?)

• Using the ASIO DirectX Driver, tracks won't automatically advance.  When track 1 finishes, track 2 starts permanently buffering.  (may be creative problem, can't tell)

• Using the Creative ASIO driver, I get an immediate blank popup when playback starts.  (may be creative problem, can't tell)

• In "File Naming and Location" you can't enter paths with leading or trailing periods.  I.E.  If I try to enter a path for track images like "m:\.coverart" the period gets stripped out as soon as I move the cursor out of the entry field. Any valid file system path should be allowed.

• When collapsing "Auto Smartlists (audio)" after selecting one of the random or favorite lists, the app hangs for about 10 seconds while spinning the cpu at 100%. (maybe not a "problem", but it's still a pain)

• CD-Text is not being read  

Current Wish List:

• Database backup file names should include the library name.
  • Bulletproof Party Mode
  • Replay Gain: customizable default for unanalyzed files and manual track specific adjustment.
  • Burn Lists:  Save cd cover layout and track by track crossfade and equalization settings, etc.
  • Burn CD-EXTRA format.
  • Customizable context menus.
  • Parallized ripper EAC Style.
  • Optimizing for SMP machines (without hurting single cpu machines of course)
  • Selectable "Wave Out" or "Master" for volume control.
  • Auto down-conversion and customizable buffering for media server.
  • Use full MJ client as a web remote client.  I.E. Media server except play at server instead of streaming to client.
  • more to come, i'm sure.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.70
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1774 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 350 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2002, 02:01:05 pm »

Hi guys;

Thanks for the reply for IE6 blank screen closing.

Does anyone by chance know which one of the zillions of options for IE6 I can change to get the blank screen to automatically close when downloading? ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2002, 02:24:31 pm »

Current Status...
Problems fixed (ones I reported, anyway)...
  • Discs with only 2 tracks are showing up as incomplete albums:

Bob Dylan, Love and Theft (Disc 2)
     Mother Love Bone, Mother Love Bone Bonus Disc
     Sade, Lovers Live (Bonus CD)

(The fact that the word "Love" appears in each album name has to be a coincidence, doesn't it?)

Woah.  I have a CD-Single with only two tracks.  It shows up as an incomplete album, even though the two tracks are tagged as tracks 1 and 2.  Tags:

Artist:  The Sundays
Ablum:  Love (Single)
Track 1:  Love (LP Version)
Track 2: Love (Fade)

Do we have a "love bug?"  ;D ;D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

RemyJ

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2002, 02:41:56 pm »

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

RemyJ

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2002, 03:02:57 pm »

I think the view schemes aren't handling the CD database correctly in this release.

I rebuilt my entire database the other night so my removables database is clean.   After seeing the "Volume Name" change in this release, I took 4 CDs and let MJ recognize each and download from YADB.

If I go to the top level "Media Library" and put "~d=c" in the search criteria, I see all tracks from all 4 CDs.

If I create a view scheme with "~d=c" in the search criteria, I only get entries for 2 of the 4 CDs in the tree.  If I click on the individual CD entries I see all tracks from that CD.  If I click on the view scheme itself (which I named CD), I see only 1 track from each of the 2 CDs.  Oddly enough it's track 6 from 1 CD and 14 from the other.  Doesn't matter how I organize the view scheme; I only see 2 CDs.

I tried deleteing my removables.jmd file and re cataloging the CDs but it didn't help.

I also went back to my other machine which still has 9.0.69 and repeated the steps and it works fine.  I see all 4 CDs.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2002, 05:39:42 pm »

Hi Matt,

Has the CD submission been fixed?  When I submit a CD to YADB, the titles are updated incorrectly.

Also, can MJ9 do a verification on the update?

If we do not submit the CD, will MJ9 keep it locally, so that we still have our own database?

This is important in upgrading to 9.0.

Alternatively, can MJ8 and MJ9 coexist, with each its own database instances?

RemyJ

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2002, 08:06:07 pm »

• Analyze Audio isn't handling tracks under 10 seconds very well.   BPM is left at 0 and gains are set anywhere from -20db to +159db.   This would be OK if there were a way to manually adjust the gain and peak level values instead of just being able to clear them.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

sekim

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2002, 03:58:33 am »

Burned a data cd with XII yesterday, and the files still are being burned as all track #1, all track #2, etc. This is a burning bug that needs to be looked at.

Best way to test this is drag albums to the drop target. Burn disc. Play them back in an mp3 cd player. Most of these players are dumb, they playback whatever is next on the disc. So it should be all one album, then the next and so on. Not ordered by track number.

MJ 8 will do this without shuffling the tracks.

Note: Not that this is bad, I can live with it for now, but it makes searching for an album on the player difficult.

RemyJ

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2002, 08:23:21 am »

• If you connect to a media server with a V8 database, V9 asks if you want to upgrade the database and re-analyze the files.   It should simply return an error message saying you can't connect to a server with a downlevel database.    If you press cancel on the upgrade message, MJ crashes.

• Minor visual bug:  Once you pause and resume a track, the play/pause button retains the "pause" image until you press the stop button.  Skinned or unskinned.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2002, 03:33:57 pm »

;DHey Matt,
                  I've been sitting in the background, not doing much posting, but doing A LOT of playing around, with MJ9. You, as well as the whole MJ staff, are to be highly commended. This is turning out to be one H... of a fine piece of software. The "improvements" you make, with each build, just seem to make it more pleasant to work with. Congrats again to you and the guys, for giving us such a beautiful piece of workmanship. ;) ;)
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2002, 03:41:48 pm »

For Matt, Nikolay, JohnT, Gateley, Steve, Yaobing, and many others....Thanks, Terry!

It's especially nice to get a "thank you" without a "but could you".

We are approaching 100 man-years we've invested in MJ now.  

dragyn

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2002, 03:44:47 pm »

Here's some quirks..

I'm able to open mega-me and mini-me from the task manager. It's a really cool feature (bug). I can do it in v8 also. I have a pic of it but need somewhere to host it. The only thing that doesn't work is the content view. I'm saying this is becase I can select the songs in mega-me from the tree and it will play in mini-me too. Cool stuff..

EDIT: Here's a temporary pic of MJ in MEGA-ME, mini-me, and Full Screen (307Kb..may be slow (my server))

I was copying CDs for backup and noticed that if both CDs are in the drives, MJ will get confused as to what is in there. Playing songs in Drive E, will start up the disc in Drive F. Terrible time getting YADB to do anything. Had to remove the CD entries in the database to make it work again.

When resizing a column (to nothing), the play icon dissapears if it was in the column to start with.

When viewing properties in windowed mode, the search bar at the top of the content view dissappears.

Multiple Artists/Albums are not working correctly. Files that are in APE/APL format show incomplete. The APE image file is what's doing it. Removal of this file corrects it.

I also ripped an old Metallica CD and it was listed as a multiple artist even though the Artist/Album fields were correct (same). Not sure what happened there.

When erasing a smartlist (ie nothing), MJ will not prompt to save and will revert to what it was previously.

CPU: AMD Athlon 807 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 50 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

2 monitors
Current desktop: 2080x1024 (0,0 - 2080,1024)

Monitor 1
Settings: 800x600, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 1280,0 - 2080,600. Workspace: 1280,0 - 2080,600

Monitor 2
Settings: 1280x1024, 32-bit color, 85 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 0,0 - 1280,1024. Workspace: 0,0 - 1280,994

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2002, 03:26:57 am »

Find Does Not Seem To Work Correctly

I Have A Folder Named

C:\My Music\No Tags\

Typing In "No Tags"

Does Not Find The Files In The Folder

This Worked On Version 9.0.069

If you type In F:\ MJ now does not find any files on drive F: this worked in 9.0.069
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2002, 09:05:41 am »

when i select "disk writer" as an output MJ crashes

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1798 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 259 MB, Free - 90 MB

'Hocus Pocus' Charted At 09 In 1973
Listening to: 'Hocus Pocus' from 'Moving Waves' by 'Focus' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RemyJ

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2002, 11:47:29 am »

when i select "disk writer" as an output MJ crashes

In earlier releases it was writing to one huge wav file.

With the new burning engine almost here hopefully "diskwriter" is on it's last legs.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2002, 12:13:23 pm »

Thank's for a great program but.....

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2002, 03:09:41 pm »

Previously repoted issues:
  • Audio analysis is not functioning. Resolved
  • A max of 50 files are analyzed before MJ crashes or just stops the analysis.  Resolved
  • Non-media files randomly are added to the media library. Resolved
  • Failure to import files.  Resolved
  • Incorrect report of number of files imported in 'detail.' Resolved
  • Attempts to import while in thumbnail views causes MJ to lock up. Resolved
  • The image tasklist does not always accurately report those files that are missing artwork. Resolved
  • Cover art does not import. Resolved

A lot of quirks appear to have been the result of the upgrade process.  A clean install and import of media files has resulted in increased stability and speed.

• The option to clear the recently imported playlist on exit no longer applies. Pending
  • Custom fields are not in the advanced find keyword list. Pending
  • The problem with random sorting is present in all [thumbnail] views. Pending
  • Unable to save images to some files.  Within the same album, some images are stored internally and some externally.  Internally stored images may be lost at random.
    The reason for this appears related to the media type being 'unknown,' even though the file type is displayed accurately as mp3. Attempting to search on the media type of 'unknown', does not return any files.  The unknown media type appears in files which were upgraded from v8 and to a lesser extent, newly imported files.  Once all the files reported as 'unknown' were deleted from the database and reimported, the media type was correctly displayed as 'audio' and the image art was able to be stored internally.  Pending
  • Balloon tips in thumbnail views are not sticking long enough to view, especially those on the right side of the screen. Pending
  • Notes do not import or upgrade from v8 database and/or are not viewable. Pending

New Issues:
  • On a clean install, there is no 'Cover Art' subdirectory in the data directory, even though that path is the default for storage of cover art.
  • Open to the appropriate directory when selecting cover art.
  • After selecting a drive letter in the import media dialog, the directory listing does not change to reflect that drive.

Previously requested:
  • Toolbar button for 'Analyze Audio.' Pending
  • Customization of thumbnail text descriptions.Pending
  • Pick list for the genre field Pending

Shelly

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1694 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 151 MB

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2002, 04:02:45 pm »

Bugs for Media Jukebox ver. 9.0.70

• This build will not tranistion from audio to video. It either just freezes up, or it closes automatically. Playing just videos works fine, however. So is going transitioning from a video to an audio file.

• Transitioning from a Quicktime file (mov) results in a crash.

• Tree View : Album Artist is not able to use Groupings (A-C, D-F, etc.)

• Slideshow : If, while watching a slideshow, I doubleclick a file in Playing Now to display it at just the right moment when MJ is going to transition to a new a file, it will skip the file I double clicked and display the one following it.

• Adding images and music to Playing Now isn't consistent. If audio is already in Playing Now, then adding images just tacks them onto the end of Playing Now, but if images are played first, and then music is added, the desired result of images and audio simultaneously is acheived.

• There is currently no way to see what images are in the current slideshow if they're being played simultaneously with music.

• Playing Now : The Playing Now bars show Image as the Display Plugin Type but the actual image name only updates sporadically. Usually, leaving Playing Now then returning will make it show the correct filename, but then it won't change again.

• When viewing images and listening to music, if Playing Now contains a video, playing that video will clear all images from slideshow.

• MJ has a toolbar button available for Recently Imported that currently has no real function.

• The option for "Clear "Recently Imported" playlist on exit" seems a bit useless now.

• Ever since Tree View got the ability to display individual items in the tree, Quick Play acts all funky. I can't choose an individual file to play from Media Library without also telling the Tree View to display track names. Why anybody would want to do that (or display track numbers, etc.) is beyond me.

• MJ doesn't sort numbers correctly in the tree. For instance : Track Numbers (not that I can understand why'd you want to display these in the tree) sort as 1, 10, 12, 2, 3... BPM sort as 100, 102, 19, 20, etc. It appears to be treating these as character strings instead of integers.

• Image List View : This doesn't select files correctly. If you select one file, then hold control to select a view more, that works. If you hold down shift and select a range, that works as well. But holding down Control + Shift to add a range of files to the currently selected files, all of the currently selected files become unselected.

• Content View : No matter where on the headers you right click to add a column, the new column is added at the beginning. Wouldn't it be more user friendly if the column was added where the right click occured?

• Clean File Properties : If run on Filename with Title Case selected, the resulting filename comes out like E:\documents\my Music\complete Albums\pink\missundaztood\pink - Just Like a Pill.Apl.

• Content View : You can now right click on a filename and rename the file right from MJ. Cool. The only problem was that I accidentally (ok, it wasn't really an accident) renamed a file to Pink - Just Like a Pill.Apl2 (note the 2 at the end of the extension). Attempting playback now works, but when I then used the same method to rename the file back to what it was (with just .apl) I received the following message:

After which MJ's link to that file was broken. While MJ's database has the filename listed with .apl, the actual filename is still .apl2. Once I manually renamed the file in Explorer, everything worked fine again.

• Playing Now : Deleting the currently playing file from Playing Now stops playback. Clicking NExt or Previous does nothing, and clicking Play results in an error message that says "Please select file(s) to play." Double clicking another file in Playing Now will restart playback.

• Trying to download any kind of plugin or skin through our proxy server/firewall results in a message of "Failed to connect to a server." This is after it prompted me for my username, password, and domain to get through our firewall. This has worked in the past, but has always been problematic.

• I've heard rumor that some of the options dialogs are going to be redesigned. This is, IMO, a GREAT thing. I'm going to suggest changes as I see them, so to start, here's one that's bugged me for quite a while.

• In order to change the Sorting options, you need to 1. Select the field you want to move. 2. Click Edit. 3. Click Move Selected Up/Down. Wouldn't it be simpler to allow dragging of items? Or even two arrows (up/down) beside this box that would move the items?

• Also, what does "Track # for Albums" mean and why would I want it checked? Why would I want it UNchecked? I've never seen it make any difference either way. If it actually has a purpose, it should be more clearly explained. And can somebody explain it to me? :)

System Info

Media Jukebox  9.0.70

CPU: AMD Athlon 1664 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 267 MB

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2002, 04:10:09 pm »

I'm putting this in another post, because Interact thinks my bug report is too long. :P

Requests

• Vis Bars : I'd (still) like to see seperate hide modes for each of MJ's display modes (Internal, External, Fullscreen). I'd like to have them never hide in Internal, but autohide in Fullscreen & External, for instance.

• mini-me Skinning : Kerensky had a whole list of skinning features that are currently found in other media apps (like Winamp 3 and Sonique 2). I'd like to add my voice in support of these. Here's the list for reference.

• Mega-Me and Mini-Me should have the same skinning features/abilities.

• Skinning engine should have all the features that Winamp 3.0 has.

• Mini-me skins should be able to display the left media tree pane, instead of just the playlist pane.

• Instead of having to use standard fonts, include support for skinned fonts. This is where, with .bmps, you can map out a alphabet, and numbers that the player would use instead of a regular font. Quintessential, Coolplayer, and Winamp 3 already support this with their skinning engines and it's one of the coolest features I've ever seen.

• When the mute function, I'd like a way to keep the mute button displaying the down .bmp while the player is muted.

• With playlists in mini-me mode, there should be the ability to customize what info in displayed. The default seems to be Track # - Artist - Song Name - Song Length. This may be possible already, but I haven't been able to find out how. Personally I'd just like to display Track # - Song Name - Song Length.  

• When displaying the elapsed or remaining time, allow skin authors to specify how many digits are displayed at any one time. Right now from what I can see, MJ displays only as many digits as is needed (with most songs usually m:ss), but for instance in one of my skins I'd like to specify that the elapsed time be displayed like hh:mm:ss always even is the unused digits only display 0's when not being used.

• Add support for Windows XP features like ClearType font smoothing and Alpha Blending Window edges.

• Include ability to specify the background color of the currently playing song.

• Include ability to change the icons throughout MJ.

• Include ability to use the media library search bar in skins.

• Replay Gain : MJ really needs Album Gain. If Playing Now contains a full album, use Album Gain, otherwise, use Radio Gain. If it's a mix between a full album and mixed tracks, check to see if the tracks belonging to the album are all in track order. If so, use Album Gain on those tracks. If not, use Radio Gain on the entire Playing Now list.

• Image List View : Can there be some "missing image" image? Like the MJ logo in place of a blank square? Or a red circle with a line through it? Or better yet, an image that we can specify for all missing artwork?

• Image List View : For the single image album art view, there needs to be a way to see the tracks belonging to that album. Maybe a multipaned view that shows the cover image on the left and the track names on the right? Or even a tooltip balloon like the ones that Rhino is using in his AlbumView plugin.

• Content View : Can all views remember their own view settings? Basically, what I'd like to see is Playing Now being able to just display Artist, Album, Name, and Track #, but have Media Library display more detailed information, like filename, BPM, etc. I'd also like to be able to specify that an Album view scheme display the album art view, but an Artist view shows the regular text view, etc. Playing Now should be able to be independently set to always show list view or image view, etc.

• Slideshow : How about an option to display the filename of the current file in Fullscreen mode?

• Ripping : I'd also like to see MJ be able to rip a CD to one wav\ape\mp3 and create a CUE sheet. Being able to create the relevant APL or whatever files in addition would be great along with an option to either import the full album wav\ape\mp3 or not.

• Visualizations : Can these remember what Display Quality to use based on what mode (Full Screen, MEGA-ME, mini-me) MJ is in?

• Can we get an option in Skin Manager to close Skin Manager on skin change?

• For the Rules Wizard, I think "Type" should be changed to "File Type" to better seperate it from "Media Type".

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2002, 07:55:05 am »

Can we get the artist-name to display when playing streaming audio, and feed these values to the slideshow display for dynamic slideshow building?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2002, 12:25:54 pm »

Adding a video to playing now after audio does not only not transition but sems to crash MJ almost instantly.

Also a question - I have a view scheme for my Audio set like this Artist/Album/Name.  Is it possible to have the name field sorted by Track No?  At the moment it is sorted alphabetically.  I also have a similar video view scheme.  I would like my Simpsons episodes for example sorted by Track No (ie position in series) rather than alphabetically?

Possible??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2002, 12:47:23 pm »

Weird error.  I removed the images from my playlist.  Changed to visualizations and the spectrum analyzer wasn't visible.  Added some images to playing now, re added CD - Spectrum analyzer was back again!!

Still think that adding images to playing now should not automatically stop music playing.  Could this be an option e.g. adding images shows in playing now, but keeps exisitng music playing, images show and music restarts, images show and music is replaced.  Personally I would prefer images and music to play independantly of each other and adding images / audio to playing now does not affect the other but understand some may prefer this another way which is why it would have to be an option...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2002, 12:51:29 pm »

:-[ :-[ :-[

Just realised the reason it was replaced was cause I right clicked and selected play instead of double clicking thus replacing the playing now field.

This still confuses me every time :)

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2002, 12:53:35 pm »

Images still don't seem to rotate on my system.  Are there any stipulations as to what will/won't rotate?  I am trying to rotate a jpeg...

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2002, 12:56:30 pm »

Cool - scroll bars are available in playing now now.  Were they always there and I never noticed them or is this a new feature... I do hope the option to enable them wasn't there all the time  :-[

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2002, 01:04:54 pm »

Okay - another wierd one...Was viewing playing now screen, went to enable scrollbars for the track info display, MJ's window had some MSN search box appear with a search for "cannot find page", tried to change playing now view to something else - result: Runtime errror...

Not good - I'm afraid it didn't give any more details than that...

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2002, 01:41:03 pm »

Each time I upgrade MJ seems to lose the ability to display some of my covers.  They are listed as being insode the file but do not appear in thumbnails, visualizations or the standard playing now view... its getting quite tedious having to update the tags after each upgrade...

Adam

UPDATE: This may have been when I audio analyzed.  It seems that this stops MJ from showing the cover art tho I do not understand why...

NoCodeUK

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2002, 01:51:13 pm »

Changing tags of files not currently playing is stopping  playing now tracks - I thought this had been fixed but it seems to have come back :(

NoCodeUK

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2002, 02:09:12 pm »

MJ started to get really sluggish so I restarted my PC hoping to clear some memory.  On restarting MJ it tried to connect to a plug in server and failed (although I had not asked it to get a plug in).  I then thought I would clear and reimport my library to see if this would bring back the missing cover art.  The first files imported were video files - only problem MJ has imported them as audio files.  If you try and play the files MJ crashes.  These worked fine before clearing the library, however they had been tagged in the previous version (9.0.69) and had had proprietory dbase tags added to them by me.  Could this have caused the problem??

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2002, 02:12:00 pm »

Having tried again got stuck in an eternal loop trying to dl the mystery plug in.  Only way to stop this was to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del - End Process... This build seems to be the buggiest ever for me so far :(

Adam

UPDATE: Okay I have been thinking about this.  The video files are Div X encoded AVI's.  To play them I use DIVXG400.  Up until now MJ has always recognised these as Video files and has then simply started DIVXG400 and played them internally.  They are always listed as Windows Media Files in playing Now but they have always registered as videos in the tree.  For some reason with the new version they are showing as audio files.  It seems to be these files that are causing the strange "Please donwload plug in" behaviour listed above although this has only come about since trying to clear and reimport the library.  This has never been a problem in any previous builds...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2002, 02:29:01 pm »

Nocode,
Try a reboot, reinstall if you haven't.  Something's goofy.  This build is at least as stable as the previous builds (for me).

If the problems persist, please start a new thread.

Jim

NoCodeUK

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2002, 02:33:19 pm »

Removing the files from the DB and then reimporting appears to get them correctly entered as video files.

When renaming files from properties the database is still changed even when MJ fails to rename a file making its internal link to the file not work.  I have reported this with the last three builds but it is still happening

dragyn

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2002, 07:16:37 pm »

I sure hope searching isn't even near completed yet because I'm having a terrible time getting it to do what I want.

I can't add AND or OR or () without retyping the whole thing. Any time you you add a character, it will refresh the display. This isn't fun with a lot of files loaded into the database and a slower computer.

Will there be an option to not use the wizard (like in v8)?

--that smily dude is supposed to be v8 but vCOOL works too.

dragyn

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2002, 08:39:04 pm »

First time printing out a library and noticed that & turns into _. Other than that and having to redefine the content view everytime you want to print, I think it does a great job.

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2002, 06:00:27 am »

Bug (i think): Exporting a playlist to HTML format and selecting All Fields does not result in all fields being printed to file.

Media Jukebox  9.0.69

CPU: Intel Pentium III 588 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 44 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

TimB

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2002, 02:53:51 pm »

~a doesn't appear to work correctly as a search modifier in either 8 or 9.

-=Tim=-

(Boy do I LOVE MJ9!!!)
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

RemyJ

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2002, 03:01:58 pm »

~a doesn't appear to work correctly as a search modifier in either 8 or 9.

-=Tim=-

(Boy do I LOVE MJ9!!!)

Workin ok here.    Pick one of the smartlists like "Duration -- tracks longer than 10 minutes" and stick an ~a on the end.  You should now see all the tracks on any album that has at least 1 track over 10 minutes.

How are you trying to use it?

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

TimB

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2002, 04:54:13 pm »

Workin ok here.    Pick one of the smartlists like "Duration -- tracks longer than 10 minutes" and stick an ~a on the end.  You should now see all the tracks on any album that has at least 1 track over 10 minutes.

How are you trying to use it?

Media Type:audio Duration: >600 Modifier: Full Albums
produces Zero results

Without the ~a produces 121 files

Nila (I think) also confirmed the same bug in a thread on MJ8 that I created.

CPU: Intel Unknown 797 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 1046 MB, Free - 649 MB

-=Tim=-

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2002, 07:33:45 pm »

Send To -> Create/Select Playlist sometimes crashes MJ

TimB

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2002, 02:59:14 pm »

Start Audio Analysis.  Minimize Audio Analysis window.  Click restore and it doesn't restore until you select the restore item.  It doesn't feel right, is this intentional?

FYI.

-=Tim=-

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2002, 07:02:06 am »

CD Labeler does not see cover art stored internally, requiring browsing for image or unchecking of 'store images inside files' in properties.  

Shelly
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up