INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 9 Preview XII...  (Read 8819 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Jukebox 9 Preview XII...
« on: October 22, 2002, 02:58:14 pm »

There's an update version of the Media Jukebox 9.0 preview here, but FIRST PLEASE READ THIS:  

IMPORTANT-- This is only a preview -- some things don't work, some things crash, and your data may not be safe. Don't use this preview with files that can't be replaced. If you don't consider yourself an expert with Media Jukebox, please wait for a later release. Backup your database (and files) before doing anything else.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download the preview here:  

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90069.exe  

Changes

1. Changed: Album grouping view now always sorts by "Artist/Album".
2. Fixed: Playing Now display bars do a better job of staying synchronized with the display.
3. Fixed: Media Jukebox could crash when switching to "Image" display mode in Playing Now.
4. NEW: MusicMatch fields automatically created / imported if they're detected in files.
5. Changed: Removed "Update new fields" from "Update DB" dialog. (didn't make sense anymore)
6. NEW: Added customizable "External Tools" Send To menu.
7. Fixed: Skinning engine wouldn't skin list headers that didn't have pushable buttons.
8. Fixed: Filename sorting wasn't always performed correctly.
9. Fixed: Non-audio files could be added to the "Analyze Audio" tool.
10. Changed: "Analyze Audio..." now in the file property tools menu.
11. Changed: Can now do lossless JPEG rotation on more than one JPEG at a time.
12. Fixed: With certain smartlist queries, Media Jukebox could prompt to save changes, even if no changes were made.
13. Fixed: Media Jukebox could sometimes dead-lock when switching tracks.

Keep in mind that at this stage in the game, we're getting more bug reports than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.  

Thanks for your help, support, and patience.  

-Matt  
JRiver
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Jukebox 9 Preview XII...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 03:04:23 pm »

> 6. NEW: Added customizable "External Tools" Send To menu.

This one is a lot bigger change than Matt suggests.  It allows you to organize in MJ and play in WINAMP!  That really Whips the Llama's Arse.

I saw it today but haven't played with it yet.  It will allow you to drag files onto the "drop target" (top of the tree on left side) to get it to happen.

Some day we will write instructions.  But then the Mystery of MJ will be gone.

Lise?

sekim

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 03:19:54 pm »

Does it work for encoding also? Say Matt's frontend for monkey?

That sounded wierd....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 03:29:19 pm »

Probably not yet, but anything is possible.  It will need some tuning to work perfectly.

nila

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 03:36:52 pm »

anyone awake still?
I wanna install this and play with it for a little bit but then go back to v8 so I can have my good old reliable jukebox with all the plugins.
What'd I have to do so I can keep all my old settings and stuff for 8 after I get rid of 9 again?

Anyone know? :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2002, 03:39:46 pm »

Nila,
When you install V9, your data files are backed up and converted.  If you take a look in the data folder in MJ's program directory, you should be able to see them.

Jim

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2002, 03:43:26 pm »

Problems fixed (ones I reported, anyway)...

• If you right click on the drop target and select "External Tool", then "Configure External Tools..." it literally puts the string "Configure External Tools..." in the drop target.  Kinda fixed  It still puts the string "Configure External Tools..." in the drop target but now you can click on the drop target and get the dialog to actually configure the tools.  How about just popping the dialog box up in response to the menu and skip the "clicking on the drop target" step?

• Sorting by filename returns the following results...

C:\usr\music\Pete Townshend\Psychoderelict (Music Only)\01 - English Boy.mp3
    C:\usr\music\Pete Townshend\Psychoderelict\01 - English Boy.mp3
    C:\usr\music\Pete Townshend\Psychoderelict\02 - Meher Baba M3.mp3

Fixed

• Changed: "Analyze Audio..." now in the file property tools menu
    OK, I didn't report this but thanks anyway.  Fixed

Things not fixed:

• 12. Fixed: With certain smartlist queries, Media Jukebox could prompt to save changes, even if no changes were made.
    Still does this for "needs audio analysis" and "empty properties"

Problems remaining open...

• I started playing with the Auto Album Artist thingie.   I took a mix cd that was previously "Various Artists" for the artist and renamed the artist for each of the tracks to the actual artist keeping the same album title for all.  The Auto Album Artist picked this up nicely and I got a new entry in the media view for "(Multiple Artists)".  The problem is that when I then renamed the tracks so they fall in the correct artist directories, I lost the "(Multiple Artist)" tree entry and I now get single album/tracks under the original artist.

• You can't "group" album artist in a view scheme.  You can check the "Add a grouping level..." box but the size field is not unprotected and the box check isn't remembered.  So I can't use both the cool new grouping feature and the cool new auto album artist feature at the same time unless I create 2 view schemes.

• I get
    Application popup: MEDIA JUKEBOX: Media Jukebox.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00535140" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
    exceptions whenever I edit smartlist sort criteria and enter an unrecognized database field. Given my typing skills, I get this a lot.

• There's an inconsistency between "last played" and "number of plays".  I have last played times within the past 24 hours that have numberplays set to 0.  The "Top Hits -- listened to today" smartlist highlights this.

• Discs with only 2 tracks are showing up as incomplete albums:

Bob Dylan, Love and Theft (Disc 2)
     Mother Love Bone, Mother Love Bone Bonus Disc
     Sade, Lovers Live (Bonus CD)

(The fact that the word "Love" appears in each album name has to be a coincidence, doesn't it?)

• Using the ASIO DirectX Driver, tracks won't automatically advance.  When track 1 finishes, track 2 starts permanently buffering.  (may be creative problem, can't tell)

• Using the Creative ASIO driver, I get an immediate blank popup when playback starts.  (may be creative problem, can't tell)

• In "File Naming and Location" you can't enter paths with leading or trailing periods.  I.E.  If I try to enter a path for track images like "m:\.coverart" the period gets stripped out as soon as I move the cursor out of the entry field. Any valid file system path should be allowed.

• When collapsing "Auto Smartlists (audio)" after selecting one of the random or favorite lists, the app hangs for about 10 seconds while spinning the cpu at 100%. (maybe not a "problem", but it's still a pain)

• CD-Text is not being read  

• For data CDs the directory structure is literally written as "ARTIST\ALBUM" instead of the actual artist and album names.

Current Wish List:

• Bulletproof Party Mode
  • Replay Gain: customizable default for unanalyzed files and manual track specific adjustment.
  • Burn Lists:  Save cd cover layout and track by track crossfade and equalization settings, etc.
  • Burn CD-EXTRA format.
  • Customizable context menus.
  • Parallized ripper EAC Style.
  • Optimizing for SMP machines (without hurting single cpu machines of course)
  • Selectable "Wave Out" or "Master" for volume control.
  • Auto down-conversion and customizable buffering for media server.
  • Use full MJ client as a web remote client.  I.E. Media server except play at server instead of streaming to client.
  • more to come, i'm sure.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.69
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1774 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 350 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2002, 03:47:49 pm »

Remy,
You win the Doof/Zrocker Crown for Main Beta Man.

It's a good thing.  Zrocker drove us crazy no version 7.  Then Doof took over for version 8.  It seems that each version finds a new star.

We appreciate ruthless bug hunting and, even more, detailed reporting.  

A Big Thanks,

Jim

RemyJ

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2002, 03:52:35 pm »

My own development teams are just happy i"m looking at someone else's code for a change.

Have you ever considered using something like Bugzilla to keep track of this stuff?   It has it's own set of issues, but it might be worth it.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2002, 03:55:48 pm »

Bugzilla?  

No.  It's probably my own character failing.  I tend to gravitate toward organized chaos.

Thanks again!  (We're expecting big things from you now!)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2002, 03:55:56 pm »

Yeah, I've been really slacking in my duties on this version. :P

I've actually got a jumbled mental list of things I've noticed, but I never get around to writing them down. I think it's the whole "Preview" thing that's confusing me. I start drooling when I see the word "beta". ;)

It allows you to organize in MJ and play in WINAMP!

Jim, you sound a little too excited about us using another player to listen to our music. :P

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2002, 03:58:16 pm »

I start drooling when I see the word "beta". ;)

Thanks for the reminder.  We'll change it tomorrow.

It's kind of like Junior High School/Middle School "Graduation", isn't it?

nila

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2002, 03:58:48 pm »

Hmm, first complaint :)
Got a big prompt at the beginning saying it needed to upgrade my db - continue: yes or no
I chose no only to find that what this message actually means is: do you want to run MJ, yes or no.

What I'd like it's hidden meaning to mean is:
Do you want to use your old db or start with a fresh empty one which you can then import all your files into.
That'd be a much nicer question in my opinion :)

I'll keep posting things as I discover them so as to kind of give the feedback that most users will have as they try it for the first time ever. Give you an idea of what will go through your customers heads :)

------------------
Second complaint:  the - please wait, upgrading file info window stays ontop of ALL my windows making it a bit hard to do other stuff while my 7000 songs upgraded.

sekim

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2002, 04:06:39 pm »

I'll keep posting things as I discover them so as to kind of give the feedback that most users will have as they try it for the first time ever. Give you an idea of what will go through your customers heads

Huh?

Discs with only 2 tracks are showing up as incomplete albums:

Bob Dylan, Love and Theft (Disc 2)
 Mother Love Bone, Mother Love Bone Bonus Disc
 Sade, Lovers Live (Bonus CD)

(The fact that the word "Love" appears in each album name has to be a coincidence, doesn't it?)

Remy,

Do you have Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick? I haven't downloaded this one yet. But am curious to see what a single track album does with this.

RemyJ

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2002, 04:13:52 pm »

Remy,

Do you have Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick? I haven't downloaded this one yet. But am curious to see what a single track album does with this.

Don't have this one (I should) but I do have the Allman Brothers, Live At Ludlow Garage (1970) Disc 2 which has Mountain Jam as the only track.  Works fine.  2 seems to be the magic number.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

RemyJ

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2002, 04:18:29 pm »

Bugzilla?  

No.  It's probably my own character failing.  I tend to gravitate toward organized chaos.

Thanks again!  (We're expecting big things from you now!)

"I have not yet begun to debug"
Just wait until the new burning engine is out.  I've got 3 different burners each from a different vendor each with a different connection method each on a different class machine.

http://www.bugzilla.org/about.html
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2002, 04:21:22 pm »

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

I've got it -- pretty good stuff.  And it should show up as a complete album.  The album analyzer is pretty smart.  Even one track albums should show up as complete if they're long enough.  However, the analyzer assumes that files with the same album name, but in different directories, are really different albums. (since most people keep albums together)

Does it work for encoding also? Say Matt's frontend for monkey?

Sure.  You should be able to set up any tool you want.  We haven't figured out how to deal with multiple files yet, but we'll get that one too before long.

Version 8 and Version 9 both installed at once (from a while ago)

Sorry, this is pretty tricky so we won't do it.

Preview vs. Beta

I dunno.  I like the words "alpha" and "preview".  Then when I screw up, I can say "hey, what did you expect from a preview?"

Jim and WINAMP

Oh boy...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2002, 04:41:55 pm »

Pity we cant have them both side by side.
For me it basically means v9 testing and trying out is something I do once a blue moon as I have too many problems with it for me to consider using it as my main organiser.

Anyway, this test is over already and now I have to uninstall and get v8 up and running again.

this v9 for me is dying instantly the second I try to load it. It did the db upgrade now just dies the second I try to start it up.

RemyJ

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2002, 04:52:56 pm »

The album analyzer is pretty smart.  Even one track albums should show up as complete if they're long enough.

It just has a problem with the number "2".   ;)

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2002, 04:54:09 pm »

Hmm, before I uninstalled the v9 I deleted all the old data files and tried it again and it worked.
Must have been something corrupted in there.
Maybe you should add a check to check the data files and if they're corrupted then warn of it. It'd save anyone else having the problem I just had after an install.

First suggestion - I just re-imported all my music, worked great, still think the HUGE list of file types might be a bit much for beginners and especially now that we have different types of media it supports it might be better if it had basic options:  images/movies/audio all of which could be checked or unchecked independantly or expanded to show all the individual file types.

Next: After the import it had a BIG (989) list of files it failed to import. If these could be broken down into file types for me it'd be a LOT more use to me to try make sense of and read. Also, an option to export this list to either just save it as a list or to export say to excel format would be great.
Right now it's tooo hard to read the list properly in that little window.

Hmm, just noticed that I've lost all the playlists etc that you guys set up in v9 when I deleted the data files.
Might be nice to have an option to 'recreate playlists and media views'
People might delete them at the beginning when they find them too much but want them back at a later time.
Especially with the great selection u guys made if I remember. Seems a bit extreme to have to re-install to get the playlists back.

GRRRRR - Did a reinstall to get back the playlists etc, now got the message: Have to upgrade your db again - I didn't delete the old library it made after I did the fresh import last time. Now I gotta wait for my songs to all be upgraded (1000 less according to the wizard than I had when using MJ8.

GRRRRRRR - HUGELY fried - JUST SPENT THE LAST HOUR PLAYING WITH MJ AND WRITING BUG REPORTS AND SUGGESTIONS, DID 'Save' to update this report and got an error saying the post was too long, tried going back to make it shorter as it suggested and found I'd lost EVERYTHING I'd added. An hours worth of suggestions, bug reports etc :(

dylanstan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love MJ V9! At last cover view! Big Kiss!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2002, 05:22:31 pm »

In the past preview, the album view was unsorted, now the general album view is well sorted alphabetically (Artist/Album) , but not like i've sorted my general view (Artist/Year/Album/#/Name). I don't have too many records of the same band, but for people who have complete discographies of Rolling Stones (for instance), it can be rather messy, if they are waiting to see the view sorted for year. This only happen with album view (when you see all the songs of the same album with one cover), not in the other two views.
In general it's working really good. I don't even consider to switch back to v.8.

Edited: i've just read again the presentation and i've read that album grouping view is always sorted Artist/Album. So, it is not an error, isn't it?. i'll have to deal with it. Question of use it  :D

nila

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2002, 06:24:14 pm »

Quick recap of the points I tried to make that got lost.
The ones I can remember at least:

Analyse audio - doesn't update the properties page after a track is updated.

You guy should consider adding an option after tracks are imported asking the user if they want their audio analysed - this would make the user aware it's there as a feature straight away (great for beginners) and would also help them to set up their library to be as powerful as possible. Would also be good for power users just to remind them that the new music needs it done still.

'Save search' and 'load search'
Could these be brought to the main menu instead of being in a sub menu as these hardly seem like 'advanced' tools to me and I could imagine beginners using these as well as more power users and the power users would want to be able to access them quickly.

The Send to menu - Love the ability to configure external tools and the way it adds these to the list at the top - could we also be able to configure the send to menu itself so that we can choose items we want to appear on the top of it.

Send To/Playlist - this is totally useless to me although would be a great tool. The fact it's all thrown into one big list makes it shoot off my page and takes ages to navigate. (See Screenshot which just goes from A-E and fills my screen).
http://www.phaze-clothing.com/temp/screenshot1.jpg
It needs to follow the same cascading setup as I have created in the Main window so all these would appear only in their sub folder.

Playlist pane - When I heard about this I thought it was going to allow us to easily view what's in each playlist while still in other windows in the main screen and would allow us to easily add or move files around between playlists. It doesn't seem to do either of these though and I cant work out what it does in fact do.

LOVE the new feature of 'View Scheme Groups'
Also LOVE: Grouping
TRUELY LOVE: wizard to create Search criteria - this really opens it up to everyone and just makes it soo much more powerful, easy to use and self explanatory.

The addition of 'Help' to this menu is great too to explain what it does. The 'help' might be even better served by adding a little ? after the search text box so that users could instantly see it if they were wondering what it is without having to feel intimidated by pressing a button. I know some of beginner friends to computers hate pressing buttons they dont know of in case it 'kills their computer' type thing (paranoya) - a ? they would click though as it says 'help' all over it.

Plug in's could be brought so much more to the surface and emphasized to users by giving them a menu next to tools where all plug-ins automatically get added and listed making it very easy to jump to them. Their own toolbar as suggested several times in the past where they can install themselves would also be greatly welcomed.

There's now a big lagg between me typing in search criteria and it actually showing the results. In v8 it was instant and updated as I typed.

Could 'Find and Replace' be extended to include: 'Remove X characters from position Y from Start/End.
This could allow us to trim parts that appear in all the files selected.

DSP studio - would LOVE this to be dockable like properties.

Toggle List Style - could this be implemented like: View Filter so I can actually see what the options are rather than just having to click blindly.

Changing the list style is erasing my search criteria - HUGELY not welcomed.

None of my cover art is displayed unless it's specifically set. Couldn't a feature like AV2's to find the covers be added?
All my covers are in the album dir's and it seems pointless for me to have to manually spend days adding the covers for 500 albums when the program could do it for me in a minute.

Got a: 'saving tag changes' message when leaving a view - this is SCARY when I didn't change anything. Makes me want to know what on earth MJ is doing to my songs. PLEASE give us an option to have MJ ONLY update tags when we specifically click apply - Some of us dont trust computers and I'm one of them. Dont want anything changed unless I SPECIFICALLY tell MJ to do it. just force killed MJ as it was 'updating tag info' for quite a while and I hadn't asked it to. Not sure what it was doing and am scared!!

k - that's scaring me too much. Uninstalling v9 right now. Just opened MJ again after force crashing it to find it 'updating tag info' automatically on restarting and my hard drive screaming. Not sure what it's doing but hope it's not messing up years of tagging and organising of my music. Going back to 8 - My baby :)

PLEASE, Pretty please, give a 'paranoid' option in MJ where tags are only updated upon specifically choosing to: Apply Tag Changes
I dont want to loose weeks worth of work because I accidentally change something in properties windowwhich is then applied automatically.

nila

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2002, 06:33:46 pm »

Ooh - just found the cherry on the cake.

Got my baby, My True Love, v8 back on and all my old View Scheme's are gone :(
Everything else is intact from the backup but they're missing :(

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2002, 06:44:30 pm »

4. NEW: MusicMatch fields automatically created / imported if they're detected in files.

So, where does it SHOW the MMJB Tags at ? when they are imported ?
Im not seeing anything under Extended .. No new tag type in the Options/Tree View/Columns ....

12. Fixed: With certain smartlist queries, Media Jukebox could prompt to save changes, even if no changes were made.

I still have this problem when moving from TASK -- Needs Audio Analysis to anything else .. just selecting that smartlist and going to any other creates the prompt

RemyJ

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2002, 07:55:50 pm »

There's a typo in the "Favorites -- listented to today" search criteria.  

"lastplayed<=1440" should be
"lastplayed=<=1440".

Doesn't work otherwise.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

dragyn

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2002, 10:50:31 pm »

i'm the silent type..and you caught my eye...but I never thought...I'd be replying tonight..how was I to know...i'd need to let the bugs known...and that yours tonight were gone...

nila

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2002, 03:04:46 am »

Hmm, another thing, this might seem minor but it's pretty important to useability.

Imported/Modified/etc Date - the format they are in gives way way too much info for my liking.

Last played especially gives too much info. All I want to see is this format:    X days. That's it
Short, informative, useful, easy to read etc.

Obviously some people wont want to see it like this, they'll want more info and so for this reason I really think all date fields need to be totally customisable. Also, I could be wrong but having 7000 songs all updating their 'last played' time by a second every second is gonna be putting alot more CPU and memory strain on my system than is necessary. It'd be acting like a big huge clock that has 7000 displays that need updating.

RemyJ

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2002, 06:54:37 am »

Here's an oldie but goodie...

Started an audio analysis on 700 mp3 tracks last night.  This morning I found that the analysis stopped about half way and MJ had consumed all 2gig of my virtual memory (512mb physical).

I was able to cleanly exit out of MJ (or so I thought) and the memory was released but when I went back into MJ, my library was wiped clean.   An attempt to restore from a backup made 2 days ago gave a "Failed to restore info" message.

I'm attempting to re-import my library now.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

NoCodeUK

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2002, 07:27:31 am »

I have had this problem too when doing audio analysis.  Definitely a real memory sucker.  My whole PC slows to a standstill and memory is just sucked away - 384MB Physical and not sure how much Virtual...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2002, 11:49:19 am »

Hmmmph ... Just had the same happen .. did an Audio Analysis on about 1000 files ... came back to the PC .. used up ALL mem .. Filled virtual Mem .. went to ~2Gigs of mem .. then locked up .. ...

REBOOT !
Database GONE!
Restore from Backup -- "FAILED TO RESTORE INFO" ...
*SIGH*
Close MJ - OPEN Backup ZIP files ...
Manually unzip files to MJ Data directory ...
TADA !! Database restored ...

NoCodeUK

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2002, 01:13:36 pm »

The problem with switching in Playing Now appears to be fixed.  But now that it is working would it be possible to implement scroll bars in the playing now view for Track Info/Artist Info ;D

I know some people are never satisfied.  Great build though guys.  I will give it a more thorough going over tomorrow!!!

Cheers

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2002, 01:20:23 pm »

Just found another fix...MJ is remembering the column orders and is able to keep them seperate for images and music.  This was my biggest request.  Makes things a lot easier now.  Thanks guys.  You're fantastic as always...

Adam

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2002, 02:24:05 pm »

Alright, here's what I have so far.

Bugs

• Tree View : Album Artist is not able to use Groupings (A-C, D-F, etc.)

• Slideshow : If, while watching a slideshow, I doubleclick a file in Playing Now to display it at just the right moment when MJ is going to transition to a new a file, it will skip the file I double clicked and display the one following it.

• Playing Now : The Playing Now bars show Image as the Display Plugin Type and NA near the Image Change buttons. Shouldn't this show the name of the currently displayed image\video? It doesn't always stay updated for visualizations the way it should, either.

• When viewing images and listening to music, if Playing Now contains a video, playing that video will clear all images from slideshow.

• MJ has a toolbar button available for Recently Imported that currently has no real function.

• Ever since Tree View got the ability to display individual items in the tree, Quick Play acts all funky. I can't choose an individual file to play from Media Library without also telling the Tree View to display track names. Why anybody would want to do that (or display track numbers, etc.) is beyond me.

• MJ doesn't sort numbers correctly in the tree. For instance : Track Numbers (not that I can understand why'd you want to display these in the tree) sort as 1, 10, 12, 2, 3... BPM sort as 100, 102, 19, 20, etc. It appears to be treating these as character strings instead of integers.

• I realize that the Smartlist Wizard isn't finished yet, but right now some things are just flat out broken. For instance : I cannot add a keyword after adding a rule. The keyword becomes part of the Rule's criteria. Also, Rules like dateimported should have a cleaner way of entering criteria other than number of minutes. Maybe some sort of years/months/days/hours/minutes type of dialog box?

Requests

• Vis Bars : I'd (still) like to see seperate hide modes for each of MJ's display modes (Internal, External, Fullscreen). I'd like to have them never hide in Internal, but autohide in Fullscreen & External, for instance.

• Replay Gain : MJ really needs Album Gain. If Playing Now contains a full album, use Album Gain, otherwise, use Radio Gain. If it's a mix between a full album and mixed tracks, check to see if the tracks belonging to the album are all in track order. If so, use Album Gain on those tracks. If not, use Radio Gain on the entire Playing Now list.

• Image List View : Can there be some "missing image" image? Like the MJ logo in place of a blank square? Or a red circle with a line through it? Or better yet, an image that we can specify for all missing artwork?

• Image List View : For the single image album art view, there needs to be a way to see the tracks belonging to that album. Maybe a multipaned view that shows the cover image on the left and the track names on the right? Or even a tooltip balloon like the ones that Rhino is using in his AlbumView plugin.

• Content View : Can all views remember their own view settings? Basically, what I'd like to see is Playing Now being able to just display Artist, Album, Name, and Track #, but have Media Library display more detailed information, like filename, BPM, etc. I'd also like to be able to specify that an Album view scheme display the album art view, but an Artist view shows the regular text view, etc. Playing Now should be able to be independently set to always show list view or image view, etc.

• Slideshow : How about an option to display the filename of the current file in Fullscreen mode?

• Ripping : I'd also like to see MJ be able to rip a CD to one wav\ape\mp3 and create a CUE sheet. Being able to create the relevant APL or whatever files in addition would be great along with an option to either import the full album wav\ape\mp3 or not.

• Visualizations : Can these remember what Display Quality to use based on what mode (Full Screen, MEGA-ME, mini-me) MJ is in?

• Can we get an option in Skin Manager to close Skin Manager on skin change?

• For the Rules Wizard, I think "Type" should be changed to "File Type" to better seperate it from "Media Type".

System Info

Media Jukebox  9.0.69
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1651 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 366 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2002, 03:25:54 pm »

I'm sorry, Remy, but we need the crown back.  Well maybe we can have it cloned.  ;)  Doof -- GREAT WORK!

Matt?  Nikolay?  JohnT?  We're going to have to go on a reduced bathroom break regime tomorrow.  Don't drink too much coffee.

RemyJ

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2002, 03:44:23 pm »

I'm sorry, Remy, but we need the crown back.  

It's still early yet, we've just barely left the starting gate with V9.

Oh yeah,

• The Details message after an import always says "Media Jukebox did not find any new files to import" even after importing 12,000 files.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2002, 03:58:40 pm »

The Details message after an import always says "Media Jukebox did not find any new files to import" even after importing 12,000 files.

picky

RemyJ

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2002, 04:45:37 pm »

and...

• The title of the Organize Favorites dialog box is "Manage External Tools" instead of "Organize Favorites".

• A View Scheme consisting solely of Album always has an empty "(unassigned)" entry
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

sekim

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2002, 04:48:20 pm »

k - that's scaring me too much. Uninstalling v9 right now. Just opened MJ again after force crashing it to find it 'updating tag info' automatically on restarting and my hard drive screaming. Not sure what it's doing but hope it's not messing up years of tagging and organising of my music. Going back to 8 - My baby :)

Go into options and uncheck update tags when file info changes. It's in there somewhere...

Did the same thing to me in an earlier version. This cured it. I basically think it's updating to the v9 db. It didn't seem to do much when I checked the tags.

sekim

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2002, 05:13:59 pm »

When do we get to choose our sound? The button flashes real nice though.  :P

Replay Gain shows a $ sign in the values. Check DSP studio.

RemyJ

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2002, 05:27:48 pm »

Replay Gain shows a $ sign in the values. Check DSP studio.

Only if there's nothing playing.  Otherwise it's showing the radio gain for the current track. (for me anyway).
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

RemyJ

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2002, 05:30:05 pm »

and another one... (correction: another 2)

• When I try to access either my zip drive or smart media adapter from CD, DVD, & Handhelds, I get the following error followed by an MJ crash:
    "Invalid list operation.  standard list data object doesn't have a media file info array.  (programmer error)"

• Converting MP3 to WAV (as a test) with the results directed to a new directory.  The wav file is created in the new location correctly but then MJ attempts to copy it over the original mp3 file with the mp3 file extension. I.E.  I get a pop-up that asks if I want to replace file "original name.mp3" with size 5mb with "original name.mp3" with size 52mb.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

sekim

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2002, 05:41:27 pm »

Hmmm. Must be right Remy. Now it shows zeroes where they are supposed to be.

Listening to: 'Step On It' from 'Robben Ford & The Blue Line' by 'Robben Ford & The Blue Line' on Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2002, 07:29:53 pm »

• Image List View : This doesn't select files correctly. If you select one file, then hold control to select a view more, that works. If you hold down shift and select a range, that works as well. But holding down Control + Shift to add a range of files to the currently selected files, all of the currently selected files become unselected.

• Content View : No matter where on the headers you right click to add a column, the new column is added at the beginning. Wouldn't it be more user friendly if the column was added where the right click occured?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2002, 08:23:15 pm »

• Clean File Properties : If run on Filename with Title Case selected, the resulting filename comes out like E:\documents\my Music\complete Albums\pink\missundaztood\pink - Just Like a Pill.Apl.

• Content View : You can now right click on a filename and rename the file right from MJ. Cool. The only problem was that I accidentally (ok, it wasn't really an accident) renamed a file to Pink - Just Like a Pill.Apl2 (note the 2 at the end of the extension). When I tried to play this file I received the following VERY helpful message:

followed by:

http://doof.webryders.com/MJ/Screenshots/ape.jpg

When I then used the same method to rename the file back to what it was (with just .apl) I received the following message:

After which MJ's link to that file was broken. While MJ's database has the filename listed with .apl, the actual filename is still .apl2. Once I manually renamed the file in Explorer, everything worked fine again.

• Playing Now : Deleting the currently playing file from Playing Now stops playback. Clicking NExt or Previous does nothing, and clicking Play results in an error message that says "Please select file(s) to play."

NoCodeUK

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2002, 12:32:13 am »

• Similar to Doof's problem but not exactly the same, if you do a rename files from properties but MJ fails to rename the files for whatever reason it still changes the names in the DB.  This means the DB is then linking to files that do not exist.  More to the point I could find no reason why the files would not rename as they were not read only or in use.  Very strange.
  • Selecting configure external tools from the drop target needs a double click to bring up the dialog box.  You select it in the menu and it changes the title of the drop target but does nothing.  You then have to click again on the target to bring up the dialog box
  • I can't think of anything else at the moment but wanted to use the last star in my list....

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2002, 10:43:09 am »

In the Sound Recorder the Split Track button no longer appears to do anything...  Tried to split my track and it just carried on recording number 1 :(

Hope this is fixed as I use the Sound recorder quite a lot...

Adam

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2002, 10:55:10 am »

1. Audio analysis is not functioning at all in this build.  Although, it appears to run, some files only progress to 99%, bpm and intensity not analyzed at all, and replay gain changes are not saved.  

2. As of the last build, a max of 50 files are analyzed before MJ crashes or just stops the analysis.  

3. The option to clear the recently imported playlist on exit no longer applies.  I'd still like to have a recently imported playlist that isn't time or volume related.

4. Custom fields are not in the advanced find keyword list.

Shelly

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2002, 11:12:09 am »

• The option for "Clear "Recently Imported" playlist on exit" seems a bit useless now.

• Trying to download any kind of plugin or skin results in a message of "Failed to connect to a server." This is after it prompted me for my username, password, and domain to get through our firewall. This has worked in the past, but has always been problematic.

• I've heard rumor that some of the options dialogs are going to be redesigned. This is, IMO, a GREAT thing. I'm going to suggest changes as I see them, so to start, here's one that's bugged me for quite a while.

• In order to change the Sorting options, you need to 1. Select the field you want to move. 2. Click Edit. 3. Click Move Selected Up/Down. Wouldn't it be simpler to allow dragging of items? Or even two arrows (up/down) beside this box that would move the items?

• Also, what does "Track # for Albums" mean and why would I want it checked? Why would I want it UNchecked? I've never seen it make any difference either way. If it actually has a purpose, it should be more clearly explained. And can somebody explain it to me? :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2002, 11:28:26 am »

Just finished the recording...in fact it was splitting the tracks but the display in the recorder was just timing one so I did have individual tracks.  Has this always been this way for recording direct to APE or is it a bug?  In the past I have recorded to WAV then converted to APE bu thought I would cut out the middle man so to speak.

Definitely thumbs up for drag and drop sorting.  And could it be possible to have a dialog where we could sort the display fields using Dragn Drop also.  Have u ever tried moving the filename field in the list view.  Believe me I have and it is not pretty...

Cheers Guys

Adam

sekim

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2002, 04:37:20 pm »

Bug, maybe...

Options > Playback, check position of crossfade slider. Click OK, and see if slider moves from default of 4.0 seconds to 0.1 seconds. I can't see what it is switching to in the dialogue box though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up