INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 9 Preview X  (Read 1772 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Jukebox 9 Preview X
« on: October 17, 2002, 07:55:38 am »

[replacement for Matt's announcement that was lost when Interact died.]

There's an update version of the Media Jukebox 9.0 preview here, but FIRST PLEASE READ THIS:      

IMPORTANT-- This is only a preview -- some things don't work, some things crash, and your data may not be safe. Don't use this preview with files that can't be replaced. If you don't consider yourself an expert with Media Jukebox, please wait for a later release. Backup your database (and files) before doing anything else.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download the preview here:      

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90067.exe    

1.  Changes from Preview IX were mainly fixes for problems that IX created.  Image thumbnails and file association problems were both fixed.

Keep in mind that at this stage in the game, we're getting more bug reports than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.      

Thanks for your help, support, and patience.      

-Matt      
JRiver

RemyJ

Re: Media Jukebox 9 Preview X
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 08:38:01 am »

67 was stable enough on my test server that I installed it on my main server and let it convert my library (everything's backed up of course).

Problems fixed (ones I reported, anyway)...

• Still having problems with track entries not being written correctly in Media Library.  Several have now reported this problem.   Track 1 looks like it's being written under the column headers on the first draw of the list. FIXED
  • The "Random" lists are all sorted by the sort order from Tree and View Settings which in my case is artist, album and track #.  Not very random.  You can send them to playing now or a device and rearrange them, but that's not very convenient.  FIXED
  • Folders in "My Computer" are all empty. FIXED
  • "Clip Protection" is the only option for "Overflow Handling" in the DSP Studio. FIXED

New Problems. These are ASIO related and may be the drivers fault, but I have no way to tell at this point.  Using a Creative Audigy Platinum Ex with the latest drivers.

• Using the ASIO DirectX Driver, tracks won't automatically advance.  When track 1 finishes, track 2 starts permanently buffering.
  • Using the Creative ASIO driver, I get an immediate blank popup when playback starts.  Probably says something like "Unable to open playback device".

Problems remaining open...

• If you right click on the drop target and select "External Tool", then "Configure External Tools..." it literally puts the string "Configure External Tools..." in the drop target.

• In "File Naming and Location" you can't enter paths with leading or trailing periods.  I.E.  If I try to enter a path for track images like "m:\.coverart" the period gets stripped out as soon as I move the cursor out of the entry field.  Any valid file system path should be allowed.

• When collapsing "Auto Smartlists (audio)" after selecting one of the random or favorite lists, the app hangs for about 10 seconds while spinning the cpu at 100%. (maybe not a problem)

• CD-Text is not being read  

• Column resizing still not working.  Auto-resize is off.  Only saves the first of 2 resize operations.  For example, resize a column and change views and the size isn't saved.  Resize a column, then immediately resize it again and the first resize is saved.  

• For data CDs the directory structure is literally written as "ARTIST\ALBUM" instead of the actual artist and album names.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.67
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium II 397 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 413 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.00.3502.1000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.00.3315.3727
Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.3502.5332
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 12:04:41 pm »

BUG:  In IMPORT, MJ does not import Replay Gain info from tags.

(BTW, can anyone tell me what the 9 proprietary MJ tags are in my files???

4 Replay Gain  
+ 1 Imagefile location
+ 1 Rating
+ what (# plays ?) )

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 12:10:08 pm »

>> BUG:  In IMPORT, MJ does not import Replay
>> Gain info from tags.
Mine has been saving.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 12:15:15 pm »

I just did a test.

Took a file that is currently showing Replay Gain values in MJ.
Copied it to a diff directory ... and IMPORTED files from that dir.

Picked up one new file (yay!) ... unfortunately, No Replay Gain info ..

Checked the file in a tagging util to make sure the tags are still there .. they are ..

I'm doing an UPDATE of my library with the second option"Update NEW tags" set to see if it clears up anything  ?!

Did some more testing ... found that I could just COPY files (right-click, copy ... same dir .. just adds COPY OF to the name) ... and IMPORT the file .. Im getting diff results ... sometimes it imports ... sometimes it doesnt ...

RemyJ

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 12:42:39 pm »

Hmmmm.  I didn't have any problems with replay gain values at all.

When I first loaded V9 on my test machine, I copied my library (12,000 files) to the test machine and imported into a clean V9 database.  The files had all been written with V8.  No problem.

The other day, I upgraded my main server to V9 by installing 9.0.67 over 8.0.388 and letting it do the library conversion.  No problem.

I'll try a few more tests tonight.

Last night, I blew away the test machine's library and it's database, then pointed MJ at the networked library of the main server and did a mass import.  Again no problem.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2002, 01:14:59 pm »

WOOHOO !!! I'm SPECIAL !!! ...

I like being special .... Like I said .. Im getting sparatic results ... Ive dont some of these files with PREVIOUS version of the 9.0x builds ... so, maybe they didnt record properly in the TAGs ... Some of them are importing with PARTIAL replay gain tags (2 or 3 of the 4 replay gain values) ...

Its pretty strange ..

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2002, 12:15:54 am »

Now we have a Preview X area again I will reenter this problem.  When cycling through the playing now options i.e none, image, visualization, cover art MJ usually crashes after a complete cycle.  I could send XPs crash log file if that would help.  This is consistent each time I cycle thru these options.  I have a clean version 9 install after deleting version 8 and removing reg entries.  Can't post system info as I am not at my home PC...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2002, 05:52:28 am »

My curiosity got the best of me and decided to take the plunge to v9.  The conversion went fairly smooth with the following exceptions:

1.  The upgrade dialog reported that 17456 files were being imported, when in fact I have slightly over 10,000 files.

2.  All of my coverart was stored internally and the only art remaining after the conversion is that associated with .mpc files.  All of the mp3 cover images are absent.

3.  Notes are absent in all files.

5.  Most files indicate 0 times played; 11978 days, 13 hours for last play.  However, a limited number of files show times play in the range of 1-293 times and days since last play in the range of 1 to 295 days.  From what I can tell all the statistics are innacurate.

6.  Vertical and horizontal scrolling works sporadically.

7.  Screen redraw is quite slow.

I deleted a couple of files from the database and reimported them.  Notes and coverart are still missing, but additionally, the custom fields did not import.

I think v9 has a lot of potential and will be worth the growing pains.  I'd love to hear that there's an easy way to get my coverart and notes back, other than manual editing of all the files.    :-/

Shelly

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.67
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1694 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 167 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2002, 06:09:29 am »

I think the coverarts problem has been sorted in the latets build which I think is 9.0.68.  Try and downlaod again and this should sort it out.  The scrolling is something I have reported with each new build but I guess it is low priority at the moment.

Any idea on that crash in playing now guys?  Let me know if I can send info to aid with sorting it out...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2002, 06:12:47 am »

Sorry latest build is 67 according to this post and on my machine the cover art problem had been fixed with this build.

Stumped...

Adam

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2002, 06:14:08 am »

I can't find the Recently Imported playlist.  There's an icon for it in the toolbar, but it's not listed in any of the menus.

Shelly

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2002, 06:19:01 am »

I think it is a smartlist now.  Should be listed in audio smartlists.

Adam

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2002, 06:23:13 am »

Shelly,
Try rebooting and installing again.  Don't uninstall first.

Jim

NoCodeUK

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2002, 09:07:07 am »

New Bug: left MJ on pause for about an hour cam back to unpause MJ froze.  No way to restart the track.  Pause tooltip remained on the screen.  Had to close MJ...

Adam

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2002, 09:14:18 am »

I just installed .067 on a freshly formatted system and found that, for some reason, mjextman.exe isn't being copied to the installation folder.

So now my Girder setup is useless. :P

I'm going to try and copy mjextman.exe from my work PC to my home PC and see if that works. But why isn't it being installed normally?

RemyJ

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2002, 09:54:32 am »

Don't get me started...

For some as yet unexplained reason, mjextman is now installed in c:/winnt/system32 along with a few other MJ files.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2002, 10:32:55 am »

mjextman.exe needs to be in the system directory from now on. (in version 8 also)

Just update your Girder profile.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up