INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elements of the ideal online music service  (Read 22374 times)

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Elements of the ideal online music service
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2004, 07:19:32 am »

That might be true when you don't know the original source of the files, ie. random downloads from P2P, for example. But really, even then it still isn't any sort of reliable indication of quality because for all you know a 192kbps file could have been transcoded from a 128kbps file. :o

However, for VBR files you encode yourself or download from a service where you are able to know the encoder settings, (and I'm going on the assumption here that high quality VBR settings are being used, ie. LAME --alt-preset standard or extreme), there is no need to judge quality by the bitrate because you already know that the files have been created using the highest quality settings. Further, you are delibrately limiting the quality of files you encode yourself by not using VBR.

Rob

PS - I'll shutup now. :)

bebop

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2004, 12:09:04 pm »

just a note...those of us here in Canada already pay taxes to the music industry every time we buy blank recording media, regardless of using it for data or audio/video and there is talk about adding a tax for every portable  player. Also, we are left out in many of the pay  services...seems they are mainly for US customers only. I discovered all this as I  tried to get some real oldies for my Mom...she's 70 and just discovered the joy of a cd player and taking your tunes with you!  ..but guess what...they were no longer available and the records..yes...she still has them..are in terrible shape and most unusable to try to get a decent rip of.   To my dismay, none of the on line services  had what I wanted, or didn't allow Canadian users.  So, having a globally available service and an extensive catalogue would be really nice as would being not geting soaked for the service!

ShockValue

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2004, 02:36:45 pm »

This is the type of service I would use (In order of importance):

1: Download lossless albums (either by track, or full album with a CUE sheet so I could split it myself.)  I don't care what format, since it's lossless I can convert it to my desired format.

Price?  Less than what I pay for CD's normally.  Say less than 1$ per track.

2: Stream unlimited albums for cheap monthly fee (Mostly as a tool to see what albums I would buy from #1.)    Decent bitrate here, but wouldn't need to be insanely high since I would just be using it as a "preview tool".

3: No DRM.  I don't swap, but I want to be able to do what I want with the music that I purchase.  Portable, burning mixed CD's, MC playing, etc.

4: Deep selection.   I don't care that you have Britney Spears' latest album.  I do care that you have selections from lesser known but quality artists.

I'd be the first to sign up if I saw a service like this :)

FCRay

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2004, 07:02:50 pm »

As long as RealOne leaves Rhapsody alone, I'll continue to subscribe.  They constantly add content, and it's not all new music.  They are adding music from almost every genre and time period.  It's great to be able to sign on and play music I've never heard without having to worry whether or not it's worth buying the album.  It's obvious that the people behind the scenes love music and are doing their best to get the most music out to the people as they can.  The suggestions and album descriptions have helped me find music I would have never been exposed to otherwise.  It's a great way to really broaden your musical tastes.    But it's too expensive to download from.  That's where [web site removed].com becomes useful!!  Pay as you go, so I only pay for what albums or songs I really want to have on my IPOD when I'm away from my PC and want to avoid the wasteland of FM radio.

Vermaje

• Junior Woodchuck
  • En français, ce serait mille fois mieux !
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2004, 04:51:17 am »

Good Idea !

For me, I want not pay per month, but at each download.

But, whet price for that ?

With classical music, for exemple, a symphony of Beethoven, whate price please ?

Price for all tracks ?      Price for each track ?

Jean-Marc

sysra

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2005, 05:05:16 pm »

Good Idea !

For me, I want not pay per month, but at each download.

But, whet price for that ?

With classical music, for exemple, a symphony of Beethoven, whate price please ?

Price for all tracks ?      Price for each track ?

Good Idea !

Ingrid Johansson

Re: Elements of the ideal online music service
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2006, 01:32:14 pm »

::)Hello!
I wounder if someone can help me. First of all, I wounder if someone can translate the information on the player in swedish or an another scandinavian language?
My english isnt the best and I have just began to download music. I wounder if I can or how I do to plugin or download music I paid for?
Windows media player have that sytem.

Regards from Ingrid in Sweden

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2006, 03:52:54 pm »

It's possible to create a Swedish translation.  Please search for language.txt to read how.

blargman

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2006, 03:55:52 am »

two words
FLAC DRM

altho i love the sub services. give me flac ppl(ok no drm in that, wma lossless is fine) . i don't want this lossy wma nonsense!
even when you buy songs thru yahoo. you get 192kbps WMA. :S

jordan

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2007, 06:57:12 pm »

I'm very glad about it and I hope it works out this time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up