INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugin Request: AllMusicGuide Keyword filler  (Read 9436 times)

udeups

• World Citizen
Plugin Request: AllMusicGuide Keyword filler
« on: February 06, 2003, 10:18:42 am »

I have an idea for a plugin, but have no idea if this would be practical. I have been filling the keywords field for many of my albums in MC9 with the values found in the "Tones" field provided for most albums and artists in AMG. See the following link for an example...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=3:02:33|PM&sql=Adykcikmkbb29

The format of the field is: Nocturnal, Sophisticated, Stylish, Detached, Earthy, Thuggish, Sensual

For the keywords field, obviously, the format needs to be: Nocturnal;Sophisticated;Stylish;Detached;Earthy;Thuggish;Sensual

Having these values in my keywords fields has proven enormously useful in terms of listening to similarly "toned" albums. Combined with the genre field, this makes for some really great view schems which allow me to get the mood just right for any given situation.

The problem is that this process of cutting from the AMG page and pasting into the keywords field, deleting the commas and spaces and replacing with semicolons is a time-consuming process. I've done about 300 songs worth and have about 9700 to go.

What I would like to see done is have a plugin with the ability to search through AMG's database (again, I don't know how practical this is), grab the values in this "Tones" field and put them in the respective songs' keywords field. Therefore, this would consist of two steps (grossly simplified):

1. given a song's artist and album fields, search all music guide for that album. If a "Tones" field for that album exists, grab the values in the field.
2. Find and replace ", " with ";" in the field and move it into the keywords field for all tracks which match that artist/album combination.

Is this a reasonable thing to do or am I hopelessly optimistic? If the latter is true, I will reclude to my computer for several hours of data entry... :)

Of course, this process would be simplified if keywords allowed ", " to be seen as a delimiter in addition to ";".

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
Re: Plugin Request: AllMusicGuide Keyword filler
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 02:07:12 pm »

Hear here!

I've been doing the same thing and stopped when I realized it would take about two years to tag everything I currently have and I'm only half done with my CD collection and I found my record collection (a few thousand) during a recent flood.

I've been putting everything in a main genre and then using the styles fields to break down further, works fantastic with the new panels view. I wanted to add the tones too but...read above.

Yeah, I don't agree with some of their labeling, but so what, I don't have time to argue and it's nice to blame someone else for bad categorization. So please, someone bring on the convienience!

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 09:10:17 pm »

Wouldnt it be better to use a new tag called TONES? to datafill?

Of course, I would want a STYLES keyword list as well :)

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 04:34:59 am »

Made'm. If I'm not mistaken, the request was for a way to easily populate them.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 05:01:25 pm »

As long as they are consistently wrong, it doesn't matter to me.

221bBS

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 02:46:49 pm »

I would think it would be easy to tag alot more then a few hundred songs in a day.

1) create custom tag "TONE" & "STYLE"
2) Start to "COPY" & "PASTE" whole albums (don't worry about getting rid of the "comma" and "space" atm. should be able to get at least 500-1000 songs in an hour doing this.)
3) Bring up the "Clean File Properties.." tool and check the "TONE" & "STYLE". Check the "Remove Leading and Trailing spaces" and press enter.
4) Bring up the "Find and Replace" tool. Check the "TONE" & "STYLE". In the "Find What" type ", "(That's a [comma][space]). In the "Replace" type ";" (That's a [semi-colon]). press enter.

I you're running 9.1 u can create 2 new view shemes to check to see if any mistakes were made

221bBS

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 04:11:04 pm »

Well I just followed my own advice and in about 1 hour 10 minutes was able to tag: 1255 song = 94 artists & 99 albums.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 08:08:00 am »

Well I just followed my own advice and in about 1 hour 10 minutes was able to tag: 1255 song = 94 artists & 99 albums.

Cool, I had 2 beers and watched a movie. It would be nice to do all three at the same time, and since I enjoy watching movies and drinking beer, I vote for automating the other thing. :)

scarnie

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 02:04:51 pm »

I'd be interested in writing it, as I have started doing it too - both style and tone :)

How do you envisage the interface?

Cheers,

Stu

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 02:29:01 pm »

Stu! It's good to hear someone else interested in working on this! I'm full of ideas about this but short on time and motivation to sit down and figure out how to write a plugin. However, I'd be willing to help out however possible.

As you mentioned, both style and tone are very useful to have associated with files. Also, it would be nice to get the AMG Review from a given album (I put it in the Notes field when I do it by hand). So, as far as interface, it would probably be best to let the user select which MC field to put information from each of those three AMG fields. KingSparta's Bio plugin is nice in that it's got a simple interface with not too many options, and just simply goes and grabs the bio from the page. I would imagine that getting a plugin to do this same thing for style, tone, and AMG review shouldn't be too hard (but this is coming from an EE, *not* a programmer :) ).  I would imagine that the setup consists of telling it what MC fields to put what information into and whether or not you want a given field harvested. Maybe an option to keep track of which albums certain information couldn't be found for.... I'll try to mock up some ideas in PaintShop Pro later.

thanks for your interest. Hopefully, this can become a reality and make tagging in MC even easier.

scarnie

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 03:47:20 pm »

Sure thing udeups - Some mock up screens would be great, as this alone is quite time consuming..  

I have done 300 songs, but I too found it quite tedious after a while..  I'm the type of engineer that likes to save time...  :)

I'm looking at the HTML data - it seems the style and tone will be easy to find and extract, however the bio / review may need some creative work..

I'll look tonight and over the weekend, and see if I can at least get the data extraction working.

Cheers,

Stu

scarnie

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 05:29:14 pm »

Thank you sir - I'll check it out..

Cheers,

Stu

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 10:09:02 pm »

It would be great to have such a plugin. I use the AMG Rating, Styles, and Type fields.  I'd add the data in tones to my database if it was qutomated.

I'd be happy to help test.

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2003, 01:01:12 am »

Hi all!

I'm working an a plugin that will do the things mentioned above:

It's in test-phase now and currently looks like that:

MCTagger Screenshot

If you have any ideas please let me know.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2003, 07:15:27 am »

That's great news - I can't wait to give it a try!

scarnie

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2003, 08:08:58 am »

Good stuff :)  I don't need to continue development then!

Sounds great!

Cheers,
Stu

Marko

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2003, 02:44:24 pm »

Hi all!

I'm working an a plugin that will do the things mentioned above:

It's in test-phase now and currently looks like that:

MCTagger Screenshot

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Relentless stream of good stuff from you to us....
Thank you.

As for ideas..., well, you already know I'm not good in that dept, the only things I can think of are things like..

create field if it doesn't exist - y/n/ask
overwrite if field populated - y/n/ask
:)

looking forward to testing the release candidate.
-marko.

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2003, 09:00:15 pm »

Thats great DJ_Hazelwood!  Your schreenshot pulls data from the artist page.  I presume you also plan to import album info from the album page.

S

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2003, 10:11:03 pm »

Thats great DJ_Hazelwood!  Your schreenshot pulls data from the artist page.  I presume you also plan to import album info from the album page.

S

Yes. I have planned to use the following logic:

1) Get infos from the artist-page
2) Get infos from the album-page
3) Store the infos: if there are detailed infos for the album, use this infos, otherwise use the artist-infos (for fields like styles and tones, which occur on both sites)

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2003, 10:16:19 pm »

create field if it doesn't exist - y/n/ask
overwrite if field populated - y/n/ask

In the current beta there are no options like this.
But i am working on it  ;)

Then you can define (for each field):

Get info yes/no (there may be fields you don't want to use)
Overwrite or append
Create field yes/no (i first must check if this is possible)

BTW: I will try to upload a test-version next weekend.

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2003, 08:33:44 am »

DJ, that plugin looks awesome! Nice work. I had never considered getting all that info that yours will get. But now that I look at it, it would be nice to have. Looking forward to trying out your version soon.

Paul

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2003, 11:55:09 am »

Wow. Between this and King Sparta's plugins, it's going to be a cakewalk to have a really complete media library. I can't wait until it's finished. :)

I was just thinking that Bios should be used for Artist Bios, and maybe create and Album Bio or something for individual albums. Would that be possible?

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2003, 09:13:04 pm »

I was just thinking that Bios should be used for Artist Bios, and maybe create and Album Bio or something for individual albums. Would that be possible?

I use the Notes field to store Album-specific reviews off the Allmusic.com site. Is that what you're talking about Doof?

I agree. This and King Sparta's plugins will make it a piece of cake to fulfill any metadata freak's desires! I can't wait.

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2003, 09:42:36 pm »

In my current version i have to additional fields you don't see on the last screenshot:

Release year (for albums)
Review (for albums)

Is there anything else we could 'grab' ?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2003, 05:17:20 am »

In my current version i have to additional fields you don't see on the last screenshot:

Release year (for albums)
Review (for albums)

Is there anything else we could 'grab' ?

Yeah, Review would be perfect.

What else? I suppose if people really wanted to get into the nitty gritty, you could grab the Credits, too... ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2003, 05:23:11 am »

I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to bring this to an end.  The Allmusic folks would not appreciate their data being siphoned off.  If you think I'm wrong about it, please contact them and ask if it would be OK.  If they agree, I'll open this up again.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up