INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Girder/Sendmessage question, for JRiver  (Read 4653 times)

Agonostis

• Junior Woodchuck
Girder/Sendmessage question, for JRiver
« on: October 14, 2003, 12:04:05 pm »

In the devzone site that discusses the different sendmessage parameters and what they do, there are some that have been added since the girder GML that's distributed with the latest builds.

I've been experimenting with these to see if any of them can further my Girder efforts.

One of them, command 10024 SHOW_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_MENU seems very promising, but I don't totally understand it's behavior.  It seems to simulate a right-click, and pops the menu up on a parametrized location on the screen, which is very cool.  But the menu applies to the "currently playing" file, not the curently selected file.  If it applied to the currently selected file, I could have all the different playback options on my remote control...my Girder holy grail.

Can anyone explain why it behaves the way it does, and if there is a way to make it do what I want it to do (oh so close!)

Thanks,
Robert

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Girder/Sendmessage question, for JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 12:57:46 pm »

Hi Agonostis
Wich tread in the devzone are you talking about?
I myself are messing around with Girder/sendmessage (specificaly i am looking for Hairstyle navigation - UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT etc...)

I know this doesn't help you at all but maybe its gonna help me - what do you say  ::)
Give me some Motörhead

Agonostis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 01:46:21 pm »

Not a thread, but a non-linked page:

www.musicex.com/mediacenter/devzone.html

I've been reading about your hairstyle quest here and at AVS, and to tell you the truth, I just send keyboard commands.  Not elegant, as you say, but functional.

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 02:52:32 pm »

Interresting... nothing there about the navigation but alot of exiting info. So far I've just been using the commands in the GML distributed with MC but this tread gives you more of an insight. Thanks!

So another question: when sending the keyboard commands, do you target MC directly (I couldn't make that work) or just to the foreground window? (this is what im currently doing).

I have this setup with "switchlogick" so the keys are only sent to MC if it's in focus. It's working fine, except for speed - its a bit sluggish compared to navigating myHTPC, thats why I'm looking for an alternative.
Give me some Motörhead

Agonostis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 01:18:39 am »

This is something I've also struggled with, and has changed many times with successive builds.  I've had the most success with simply targetting the pane window (drag the little target thing in girder to the panes).  Even though you get ~5 results when you click "find," trying to target each pane individually got me nothing but inconsistent behavior.

Unfortunately, in the latest family of builds, this doesn't seem to work anymore, and I haven't had time to mess with it.  I'm sure making MC play nice with remote controls is on somebody's list somewhere, but there are more pressing needs right now it seems.  The program is so amazing, it's pretty hard to complain...

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 10:02:14 am »

I agree - and am not complaining  :-X
Just looking to remove some minor annoyances from my own setup.

Also I'm only using the remote in hairstyle so the targeting is a bit different...

Thanks anyway
Give me some Motörhead

sraymond

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 11:40:50 am »

Guys,

I have no noticeable delay in sending keyboard events with Girder - certainly nothing more than myHTPC.  I send the keyboard event to "explorer.exe".  If you're interesting in seeing an example, look at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/Keyboard.GML.

Scott-

Agonostis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 06:21:01 pm »

This is very interesting.  I may incorporate some of this stuff.

However, I would still like an answer to my original question about that particular automation command.  Matt?  Anybody?

Please help.

-Robby

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2003, 06:23:18 pm »

That command shows the playback menu, which will always be for what's playing.

Simulating a VK_APPS (the menu button) will show the context menu for whatever has the focus.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Agonostis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 11:13:34 am »

Is there a windows message number associated with that command?  I can't find anything on the DevZone page about it.

Sorry to be dense, but now it seems like I am very close to what I want and would love more detail.

Thanks so much Matt!

Best,
Robert

sraymond

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 09:12:17 pm »

If the abscence of a response to my posts in the threads:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=12361;start=msg80392#msg80392
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=12359;start=msg80389#msg80389
is any indication, the answer is "no".

Scott-

P.S.  You might want to go with a simple keyboard event for this...  it's better than nothing.

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 12:35:33 am »

Hi Scott.
The simple keyboard event is my current approach.

I have it set up so that the simple keyboard events are only sent if MC is the foreground window - and it's working perfectly.

I was just wondering if there is another more direct way (read prettier) to accomplish this.

The Girder plugin for MJ seemed to do the job (read about it in the threads you mentioned), but since this is not working in MC I guess there is no solution at the moment, so I will just move on to other tasks on my list...

thanks for your reply  :D
Give me some Motörhead

sraymond

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 09:51:19 am »

I guess there is no solution at the moment

Yeah...  I can't imagine why JRiver doesn't just add this command to the MCC list.  I would have thought it was an oversight - but having pointed it out, I don't know why it wasn't added.

JRiver?

Scott-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 10:55:22 am »

Use this:

MCC: MCC_KEYSTROKE, VK_APPS
or another way
MCC: 27000, 93

Hope that helps.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sraymond

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 04:24:13 pm »

Matt,

Maybe I've started to confuse myself...  I thought that VK_APPS was also supposed to toggle hairstyle and full-screen.  But using the MCC 27000,93 doesn't do this.

I've also noticed that sending the APPS key via Gider (or pressing the menu key) sometimes pops up the menu context for my Sygate firewall.  It doesn't happen all the time - but maybe once every five times or so.

Might it be possible to use another key for toggling hairstyle?

Scott-

Agonostis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2003, 02:39:57 am »

This is very good.  Thank you very much Matt.

However, I still agree with sraymond, MCC commands that expose all the different types of Add to Playing Now would be best.

Can we have this?  Is it difficult?  He does have a point when he shows his unanswered threads...

Thanks so much for your help and the great program!

Best,
Robert

jleerigby

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2003, 03:04:37 am »

This is very good.  Thank you very much Matt.

However, I still agree with sraymond, MCC commands that expose all the different types of Add to Playing Now would be best.

Can we have this?  Is it difficult?  
I hope you get your wish and I would use this too on my desktop toolbar, but surely the first priority should be to expand the list of functions provided within MC's own Remote Control plug in before they expand the list of functions available to Girder users?  I mean - show some encouragement for those of us who are using MC for our remotes rather than another program.  I'm beginning to despair at the thought of ever getting Ratings added to MC's remote control settings.

sraymond

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2003, 02:08:05 pm »

but surely the first priority should be to expand the list of functions provided within MC's own Remote Control plugin before they expand the list of functions available to Girder users

Are these two (Girder and the Remote Control plugin) mutually exclusive?  I'd have thought that even the Remote Control plugin uses Windows Messaging to effect its commands.

I think it's great that JRiver is packaging a built-in Remote Control plugin for basic users - but I hope it doesn't have to be at the expense of HTPC types (though there are certainly others that use Girder!).

Scott-

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2003, 10:55:08 pm »

I think it's great that JRiver is packaging a built-in Remote Control plugin for basic users - but I hope it doesn't have to be at the expense of HTPC types (though there are certainly others that use Girder!).

I second that!
Give me some Motörhead

Agonostis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2003, 03:43:38 pm »

I third it.

Girder controls my whole system, it doesn't just listen to IR commands.  MC's Remote plugin is a totally different animal.

sraymond

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2003, 01:49:38 pm »

Might it be possible to use another key for toggling hairstyle?

Bump.

sraymond

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2003, 10:55:15 am »

Bump.
Pages: [1]   Go Up