INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced Ripping Settings Question  (Read 1244 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Advanced Ripping Settings Question
« on: October 15, 2003, 01:35:20 pm »

In the Advanced Ripping Settings under Copy Mode you can select from the following:

Digital Large Buffer
Digital Small Buffer
Digital Unbuffed
Digital Error Correcting
Digital Secure

Can someone explaine what the differences are, and what would be the best setting.

Thanks
-

JohnT

Re:Advanced Ripping Settings Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 02:16:53 pm »

Digital Large Buffer

unless you have damaged CD's or a CD drive that's not great at getting good rips, then use:

Digital Secure

which will take at least twice as long to rip (much longer for badly damaged CD's)

The other modes are for some special cases with very old CD drives.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 02:30:48 pm »

So Digital Secure is the best setting?
What does it do?
-

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 02:38:22 pm »

Digital secure rereads the disc to make sure there are no errors.  It's the only setting I use.  It's slower  (those rereads take time), as John mentioned, but I've never had a bad rip using it--so for me, the piece of mind is worth the extra time.  For what it's worth, I've had bad rips on CD's that I at least thought were in good condition  (and I have a fairly decent CD burner) using other set ips; I just use digital secure and don't have to worry about it.

And when you take into account that whatever filetype you encode to (mp3, Ogg or whatever) is only going to be as good as your original rip, digital secure is more appealing...And encoding takes more time than the rip anyway, even in digital secure.  And if you're just ripping so that you can burn a CD, digital secure doesn't take THAT much longer...Just my 2 cents.

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 02:51:26 pm »

Thanks all..

If anyone is interested I found this in the Contents under Help in MC..

Advanced Ripping Settings
·      CD Drive.  If you have more than one CD drive, select the one you want to view/edit options for.

·      Copy mode. Choose between digital ripping modes or analog ripping.

o  Digital Large Buffer. This is the default and fastest mode - use it unless you are having problems. Multiple sectors are read from the CD at once to improve performance.

o  Digital Small Buffer. Try this first if you are getting "Aspi" errors. Some CD-ROM drives can’t handle a large buffer.

o  Digital Unbuffered. This is the slowest digital method and should only be selected if you are having problems with the buffered methods. It reads one sector at a time from the CD and may work better on older systems that have slower CPU’s.

o  Digital Error Correcting. Use this method if your recorded tracks have clicks or pops in them. This indicates that your CD-ROM drive does not position itself accurately during digital ripping leading to a defect called "jitter". In error correcting mode, the software reads overlapping sectors and then synchronizes the data before writing to disk.

o  Digital Secure. This method does multiple read passes to ensure the extracted data is correct. It will generally be half the speed of other methods and possibly much slower than that if the media is damaged or the computer is very busy doing other tasks.

o  Analog.  If none of the digital modes work for you, you may have a CD-ROM drive that is not capable of digital ripping. In this case you can choose analog mode and set the recording volume as described below. This is the slowest ripping method and will take the same amount of time to rip a track as it would to play it. Note that analog ripping only works if your CD-ROM drive is connected to your sound card. If you can listen to audio CDs on your computer then analog ripping should work.

Analog Settings. If you choose analog mode for CD copying, Media Center will play the tracks and record them with your sound card. The recording volume should be adjusted to get adequate volume without distortion - too low and the background noise will mask the signal, too high and there will be unpleasant clipping distortion. If it’s adjusted correctly, the sound may be just as good as on a digital copy. Put an audio CD in your drive and press the "Settings" button. Press the "Start Test" button and in about 90 seconds Media Center will automatically select the best volume. Or you can set the volume level yourself.

·      Read Speed. This is the drive speed during ripping. Normally you should leave this at Max, but if you experience problems during ripping try lowering the speed. This has no effect on some CD drive models.

·      Auto Rip CD Database lookup options.  This is used in conjuction with Media Center’s auto-rip feature.  It establishes how Media Center looks for the CD information from YADB.

·      File Management.  You can have Media Center automatically overwrite existing files that have the same name.  If this is unchecked (default), Media Center will append a number at the end of the file name, when it encounters duplicates.

-
Pages: [1]   Go Up