INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-rip feature ?  (Read 3775 times)

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
Re-rip feature ?
« on: October 16, 2003, 01:43:33 am »

Problem

I'm currently in the process of re-ripping my 5'000-odd MP3 files...

What is bugging me the most in this process is the need to fix the CDs' tag info to match those of my already-imported files before launching the ripping (I'm a bit of a maniac when it comes to tags and archival...). YADB lookup helps... but it very oftenly is incomplete or doesn't match my conventions (well, yes, the maniac again...)

I know the CDs tag info are saved in the library... but what if one has to clear the libary ? (had to do it when switching from 8.0 to 9.0 to 9.1: tag saving took an AWFUL lot of time until I rebuild my library from scratch/files tags)

And anyhow, when re-ripping, one is only interested in updating the file, not the tags (which may have changed since the original rip).

Proposed solution

It would be ideal if one could say "re-rip" when right-clicking on an album in the library (thus re-ripping the file and changing ONLY the tags related to bitrates/duration/audio analyze).

I think of a re-ripping window where one would have the library track/file, a checkbox (re-rip/don't re-rip) and a "CD track" drop-down list (build using YADB lookup) to make sure the library track/file and CD track match.

OR

(less ideal) fix CDs tag info with a kind of "import tags from album (-> select album) or files (-> select files)" when in CD/DVD view

Did I miss something ?

Did I miss THE MC 9.1 tool that would allow me to do that ?

So...

What you guys would think of that ?

Thanks for your feedback !
Great piece of soft, guys!

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re:Re-rip feature ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 04:03:14 am »

;)

This is why I'm glad I ripped my files to a lossless format.

not much of a help... but if you rip to a lossless format this time, you can do a batch convertion of your files.  Do all your tag changes to the lossless format, and then recreate your mp3s.  The other advantage is that you can convert to whatever format you want.

kiwi

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 04:37:24 am »

@ kiwi: well, of course... but I ain't got 200-odd GB of disc  (and more to add as more CDs come) ! I'd love to, and if possible RAID-1 mirrored ! But that gets $$$ !  :)

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 05:24:02 am »

I re-rip my complete collection too. And i've also looked for a possibility to keep my tags. But without success.

A 're-rip'-feature (as mentioned above) would be really useful.

GrumpyNick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 05:49:44 am »

This is exactly what I'm intending to do as well. I originally ripped my 300+ CDs to wma, mainly with Windows Media Player before I purchased MJ/MC.

I was painstakingly careful to ensure that all the files are tagged the way I want them. Then I bought an ipod. I've tried converting to MP3 on the fly but the tracks don't sound quite right to me. Since I bought the ipod , all new CDs have been ripped as High Quality VBRs using Media Center and they sound stunning.

What I need is a way to extract just the tags, then re-import them for the "re-ripped" tracks.

Nick

Listening to Zimbabwe from Pangaea by Miles Davis on my ipod
Cats like plain crisps

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 06:06:06 am »

If you pay attention to the various tech deals sites, you can find drives at really good deals.  A week or two ago, people got 200gb drives for $25 from Dell, with the use of some rebates.  You can often find them for $120 or so.  (well, 220 w/ a $100 rebate.)

As for backing up, I actually think that an offline copy of the drive is better.  Raid-1 gives you the benefit of redundancy, but you are using both drives the entire time.  Additionally, your data probably doesn't change that frequently, so you don't really take advantage of having the data being kept redundant the entire time.  I think that a better option for the backup is to just make a copy on a second drive and remove it from the system to keep it safer.  

The other thing to think about is how much time is involved in performing all of your ripping.  That time is worth money.  

I know that I never want to have to rip my collection again (if I can help it.)

kiwi

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 08:57:45 am »

@ kiwi: what about using the proposed "re-rip" feature to re-rip one's MP3 into WAV (or APE) !  ;D

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 09:25:15 am »

I put in on the list of features to consider for the next version.

Thanks for the idea,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 11:20:25 am »

JohnT,

Well, this feature has been asked again and again during the last two years or so, so it should already be on your to-do list! Just move it up the priority list.

I also would like to replace some 5000 images with 800x600 pixels by their high-resolution aquivalents. Don't really want to tag the same images again. Any chance of doing something like that: Replace an image by a higher resolution aquivalent?

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 11:41:14 am »

Definitely supporting Jaguu for images "re-rip" equivalent !

Actually, can images be "ripped" (scanned) in MC the same way as audio (never tried that so far). OTOH, image scanning take so many more operations than audio ripping (in order to reach the same quality level, speaking of color adjustement, cropping, etc...) that scanning and "archival" are usually 2 separate process (you would not want to archive a bad scan). Differently put, images "scanning+archival" can barely be batched (from my experiencing of scanning more than 1000 negatives... a nightmare !), while there is almost no problem with music (@ kiwi : this took me SO MUCH time that I actually archived the 12Mpx TIFF images instead of lower-res JPEGs ;) ).

Thus, it is more a question of replacing a file by another and updating the required tags (size, bitdepth, etc...). This would rather imply some modifications in the "Library Tools" section.

What about a generic "Synchonize tags" tool ?
I see a "Synchronize tags" window with 2 columns: "Tag", "Sync" and one line per modifiable tag.
"Tag" would be the tag name
"Sync" (drop-down list) one of the following: no-sync, file-to-lib (always), file-to-lib (if different), lib-to-file (always) and lib-to-file (if different)
Plus a drop-down list to quickly set "Sync" for all lines and a option to specify whether to use empty tags or not.

This would be useful both for images and audio ! And by the way, the code from the "Synchronize tags" object could be very handy to implement the "re-rip" feature (thus allowing the user to specify how to synchronize tags when re-ripping) -> complete flexibility !

;D

LisaRCT

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 03:44:51 pm »

Yup . . .  been there, done that!

I originally ripped all my CD's to MP3,
re-ripped later to VBR/MP3's,
finally got more HDD's  . . .  .
and guess what?
Re-Rip to APE  
  :-\
sheesh

I am finally getting my tags in order and would love this feature when I re-rip any other MP3's I have missed.

kiwi

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 05:21:33 pm »

@ kiwi: what about using the proposed "re-rip" feature to re-rip one's MP3 into WAV (or APE) !  ;D

Yup... that would work.  Guess it's really two separate issues.  And, beind able to "update the content" could be very useful.

kiwi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Re-rip feature ?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 12:42:43 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up