INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC and Litestep?  (Read 1484 times)

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
MC and Litestep?
« on: October 22, 2003, 04:30:21 pm »

Anyone out there use Litestep?

Litestep themes often use modules to access Winamp so that controls are integrated into the theme. Now I can figure out that given the automation that is provided from mjextman.exe and/or possibly Girder - that it should be possible to control Media Center in a similar way.

Has anyone out there done this? Simply?

Or is there some appropriate Litestep module out there, that I haven't found yet?

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re:MC and Litestep?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 06:36:05 pm »

This doesn't answer your question... but I was wondering how Litestep was running these days?  How stable is it?  How well does it work with WinXP?  I used it about 2 years ago, and while I liked it, it was not quite ready for prime time.

I'd love to hear whether or not I should try it out again.

Also, can it be setup so that one user in WinXP uses it, and others use the regular shell?

kiwi

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 07:07:02 pm »

This doesn't answer your question...

Damm! :-)

but I was wondering how Litestep was running these days?  How stable is it?  How well does it work with WinXP?  I used it about 2 years ago, and while I liked it, it was not quite ready for prime time.

I'd love to hear whether or not I should try it out again.

Well I've been using it for around 18 months or so. The best way of getting to use it is via the installer from http://beyondconvention.net/ohussain/lsinstaller/ which installs a setup with the latest 0.24.7 beta and a theme setup with the latest OTS2 (Open Theme Standard version 2) files.

To me this is pretty good, it downloads automatically modules from off the web when you don't have them. Has options to check for updated builds etc.

Also, can it be setup so that one user in WinXP uses it, and others use the regular shell?

Well actually I'm still running win2k, but this installer gives the option to decided whether things are global, per user etc. and also a way of restoring explorer.exe as your shell.

Give it a go. I am impressed with this particular release.

kiwi

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 05:12:10 am »

I'm downloading it and installing it now.  I imagine that if you can create a button that runs a program, you can use the mjextman.exe command to do most all of your controlling.  You won't get feedback, like time gone and stuff like that, but you should be able to play/pause/next/prev/stop w/o problems.

Play/Pause Button:
mjextman.exe /Command Pause toggles between play and pause states.

Stop Button:
mjextman.exe /Command Stop stops playback.

Next Button:
mjextman.exe /Command Next skips to the next track.

Previous Button:
mjextman.exe /Command Previous jumps to previous track.

Veldrin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 01:45:04 pm »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=15520

There's a link here to an MC plugin that makes apps that use the Winamp API think that MC is Winamp.  It's not perfect, but play, pause, forward, etc... all work.

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 01:59:54 pm »

Very cool.  

I downloaded LiteStep.  It appears quite nice.  I think that it in combination with ObjectDock could be my solution.  I also downloaded objectdock and it's great.  You have to get some docklets for it, but once installed, it is very powerful and easy to use.

I also have to find a good theme for litestep.

kiwi

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 04:21:27 am »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=15520

There's a link here to an MC plugin that makes apps that use the Winamp API think that MC is Winamp.  It's not perfect, but play, pause, forward, etc... all work.
Awsome! Just the type of thing I was looking for. Thanks for the tip - I hadn't seen that thread before!
(Makes mental note to read other forums!! :-\ )

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 04:28:20 am »

Very cool.  

I downloaded LiteStep.  It appears quite nice.  I think that it in combination with ObjectDock could be my solution.  I also downloaded objectdock and it's great.  You have to get some docklets for it, but once installed, it is very powerful and easy to use.
Yes it is really cool programming to make it do that. I guess I found it a bit distrating when I tried it last. (It also seems to chew CPU time doing the rendering on my laptop - a 800MHz PIII )

I also have to find a good theme for litestep.
Yes, that can be sometimes challenging. It depends on what you are looking for really. Have a look at http://www.litestep.net/ and also http://www.lsthemes.com/ if you haven't been there yet.

What sort of windows skins/themes/looks do you like?

kiwi

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 04:03:42 am »

Yes it is really cool programming to make it do that. I guess I found it a bit distrating when I tried it last. (It also seems to chew CPU time doing the rendering on my laptop - a 800MHz PIII )

Yeah.  I had to turn off the "auto magnify".  With kk-menu,   I get my start menu functionality and direct access to "My Docs".  I'm going to have to experiment with it a bit more.

Yes, that can be sometimes challenging. It depends on what you are looking for really. Have a look at http://www.litestep.net/ and also http://www.lsthemes.com/ if you haven't been there yet.

What sort of windows skins/themes/looks do you like?

I've looked in those places a bit.  

For the most part, I like clean and functional designs.  Thin borders, very little extra decoration.  Colors need to be reasonable to look at for long periods of time.  Have enough contrast between active and inactive windows to easily tell them apart.

From Linux, I like Enlightenment's AbsolutE

I don't mind well done Aqua or Metal themes.

Right now, in Windows, I'm using:
chrome4[XP] 2nd Gen

Reluna

I guess that I go for simple and attractive.  No more color than is absolutely needed and moderately dark colors, as they seem easier on the eyes.

kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up