INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 36064 times)

canaro99

• World Citizen
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2003, 03:02:50 am »

Steve,

I just ran a "synch" for 1165 files -- 1157 were mp3 and 8 were ape. I deselected the "force file conversion."

Result: 1157 files transferred successfully WITH playlists and 8 unsupported files types (ape) not transferred.

My conclusion: Something in the file conversion on the fly does not work.

Do I convert my ape files to mp3 and forget any formatother than mp3 if my primary use of MC outside of my computer is the iPod?

Thanks
Thank you,

John

Vivvy

• Recent member
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2003, 10:11:34 am »

Reinitialized again.  Confirmed PC playlists still do not download to iPod, regardless if synch or drag 'n drop.  Now, another problem (v.308) of purchased downloads resident on PC will not download (or synch) to iPod.  Error 3.  I'm only using MC with iPod.

« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2003, 11:44:40 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vivvy,

Remember you are on the support page here, so you are seeing people who are having issues, not the people who everything is working for. In regards to the reinitialize, when people are having problems, very often they are related to the iPod's interaction with other programs and the hardware itself. In order to quickly flush out these problems, a reinitialize helps to establish as near to a baseline as I can to troubleshoot.  If you are interested in solving a problem you are having, which may or may not be MC's fault, you have to be willing to establish where the problem is. This requires more effort than "It didn't work, fix it".

« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2003, 09:13:56 AM »      
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve,
"Reinitialize" is a recurrent instruction that appears just about every day, regardless of product version being supported.  The "last known stable version" yields the suggestion as frequently as the beta versions do.  Reloading thousands of songs with each new problem is less inviting a solution than one would expect for a commercially released product.  Has it only been within the past 30 days that I've been paying attention, or has "reinitialize your iPod" been a staple of JRiver's support portfolio all along?

« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2003, 01:19:04 PM »
Vivvy,

Reimported into MC. When MC installs it imports files from your PC. You can manually reimport and if you delete files that are in MC and then reimport them into MC while the files are still on iPod, it would explain what you are seeing. Try the reinitialize again.

Steve

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2003, 12:53:28 PM »      
Vivvy,

More info please. Synching or drag and drop? Have you reimported tracks? Have you reinitialized?

Drag and drop.  Reimported from where?  These were loaded from MC.  Reinitialized before initial install of MC.

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2003, 03:52:37 AM »      
On .305 and still having the problem with PC playlists not downloading to the iPod with tunes.  I have to manually add the downloaded songs to the iPod playlists (which have the same playlist name as their PC counterparts.)  Why?

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2003, 10:46:47 am »

I've been using iTunes for a while and this past weekend decided to give MC9 another try.

So I reformatted the iPod, installed latest build, (whatever it was on Sat.), reformatted the iPod, and started from scratch.

I synched my iPod, but afterward found that my Audible files would not play. They appeared on the iPod, but would not play.  

I like MC9, but I switched back to iTunes. I'll check back later when the bugs are worked out.  (I'd stick around to help particpate in the troubleshooting, but since I had to pay $40 just to try MC9.1, I'll pass :)

This has been discussed on the board previously.  In order to play purchased/protected content, you need to first sync one track with iTunes.  This creates a key file on your iPod to allow protected content playback.  After that, no more iTunes.

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2003, 12:20:44 pm »

Steve,

build 308 309 v76; forced file conversion deselected:

I synched 3,414 songs to my iPod. 287 did not synch (all were ape files and this was expected). All playlists were in order (albeit with the annoying (and short lived-- I hope parentheses)).

My conclusion, unless something is wrong with my ape files (they play fine on my computer) there is something "haywire" when the force file conversion option is used during a synch (at least with ape files).

Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Thank you,

John

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2003, 02:19:14 pm »

Bryan,

I would not suggest renaming stuff yet, because we don't know where the problem is. I would suggest creating playlists and populate them with more and more files, synching after each add. See if you can then narrow down when the problem occurs. The characters I would be concerned about are '|' and '\'.  Also if you see the problem, send me the iTunesDB so I can look at it.

John,

At this point you have a problem in the middle of doing on the fly conversions of ape files at file 254. Synching when not converting .ape is fine. Create a playlist (not smartlist) and add 20 .ape files and then sync them doing conversion. If all goes well, add 20 more. Resync. Repeat until you see the problem. Today I created 50 .ape tracks, and converted them on the fly to iPod without a problem.

parannoya,

I synched my iPod, but afterward found that my Audible files would not play. They appeared on the iPod, but would not play.  

Please try bdjohns1 suggestion. iTunes does some weird permission things for .aa files on iPod.  I know that if I Format my iPod from Windows so that it is truly clean and then transfer .aa files with MC they play fine. I think bdjohns1 suggestion can work as well.

bvm,

does the "Import iPod data into MC" item on the iPod device's right-click menu perform the first step of what a full Synchronize does when "Sync data to MC" is checked

Yes. I will modify the message so as not to alarm.  In regards to the delete time, that does seem too long. Can anyone else confirm what bvm is reporting?

Vivvy,

Error 3 means the system cannot find the specified file.  What happens if you try to play that file in MC? My guess is the path is messed up and it won'd play (or transfer to iPod).  Do not use the 'Last known stable version' it is old. Use the latest.  I really don't want to debate your stance on the reinitialize. As I pointed out, this is the best way to solve problems. If you want to solve your problem, please follow my suggestions.

Please do the following.

1) Reinitialize iPod.
2) Create a playlist in MC and add 10 files to it.
3) Play the playlist from within MC to verify that all files playback. Once a track starts to play you can skip to the next track.
4) Drag and drop the playlist on the iPod drive letter.
4) Upload files.
5) Post the results of this test and what Operating System you have.

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2003, 06:42:03 pm »

Steve,

I built a 10 song ape file playlist. Selected force conversion on synch to: mp3 320 BR.

10 songs uploaded and ALL playlist names gone. Selected synch again with no additional songs and MC crashed within 10 seconds.

I deselected file conversion and resynched. Playlist names reappeared and ape files were not uploaded.

I don't get it.

I don't think I should have to forget ripping files into any format except mp3 but I can't figure it out and the time being wasted is really frustrating.

Thanks.
Thank you,

John

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2003, 09:50:28 pm »

All-
Long time no speak.  I've been away using an older beta, and was satisfied with its syncing abilities (playcounts only, on my 1.3OS 10 gig Ipod).
I upgraded to the newest beta last night (309), and now, despite several attempts, get the old "crazy numbers" on my play counts.  Huge negative and positive numbers like 80244880 or whatever.
I've formatted with Windows, Restored using the Apple Updater, Initialized in MC, no luck.
I tried searching for the old solution to this, but I must be using the wrong search queries.
Can some please repost the way to get out of this cycle?  Please give me every detail, as I remember that setting the date and time was crucial in the past....
And thanks in advance.

jniz

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2003, 10:04:02 pm »

I thought everything was going fine & I went to try to download more songs to Ipod & as soon as I press handheld or letter f I get error message saying runtime has ask to terminate program in unusual way? Any suggestions please??

Vivvy

• Recent member
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2003, 11:49:20 pm »

I agree with this comment:

"I like MC9, but I switched back to iTunes. I'll check back later when the bugs are worked out.  (I'd stick around to help particpate in the troubleshooting, but since I had to pay $40 just to try MC9.1, I'll pass"

I'm quitting MC before the 30-day trial is up.  I'm not about to provide free debugging services to help make a commercial product better.  That's what software companies are supposed to do before release.  Back to MusicMatch...

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2003, 12:04:21 pm »

Further to the missing playlists saga:

Today I inserted my iPOD for a sync and got the 'ding' that says a new USB device has connectet.
Clicked on 'F' and the list expanded. No playlist, no albums, no artists and no genre.

Ejected iPOD and everything was there.

Re inserted and this time waited a while for MC to fully recognise the iPOD. Everything OK.

I have noticed before that MC is a bit behind all other software when recognising the iPOD.

I find that iPODsync, Anapod Explore and Windows Explorer see it correctly almost immediately. MC takes its time.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2003, 01:01:36 pm »

I know that there are some characters that the iPOD doesn't like in tag names but are there any that should be avoided for Playlist names?

Also, I know that playlist are sorted alphabetically, numbers before letters, but where do other characters end up? Start or End?

Thanks

SteveG

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2003, 03:02:10 pm »

John (and anyone converting more than 10 files at a time on the fly with disappearing playlists while synching)

Good news. I think I found the root of your problem. I have fixed it, but it will not be available until the next build of MC which won't be until next week. Sorry for the delay and for the aggravation.

mclaugh,

When you say you get the crazy numbers, is that when you have selected 'iPod' in the tree and are viewing the files on iPod from MC or is it in MC after the sync?  I am unable to duplicate it with 1.3 firmware. Try this, close MC and from within Windows Explorer, go to your iPod\iPod_Control\iTunes directory and delete your 'Play Counts' file. Without opening MC, disconnect your iPod and play some files. Reconnect iPod and see if the playcounts are displayed correctly.

jniz,

Your iTunesDB is probably corrupted. Please try the following..  (you may end up losing all your data on the iPod, but hopefully not)

1) From Windows, go to your iPod\iPod_Control\iTunes directory and delete your iTunesDB file. When you view your iPod in MC you will not see your files listed. Your files are still there, they just are not recognized by MC.

2) Right click on your iPod drive letter and select 'Rebuild Database from iPod'. This will reconstruct your iTunesDB but will not recreate playlists.

3) If you want your playlists back, resync your iPod with your Playlists selected. This should go relatively quickly because MC will not need to retransfer the files, but only the Playlist data.

Ashley,

Any time delay you see is most likely attributable to the retrieval of  the data from iPod's database, not the hardware connection iteself. You can verify this by deselecting the right click option 'Show files at root'. With this deselected, MC should recognize your iPod when it connects at virtually the same time as Explorer recognizes the iPod.

In regards to the playlists, the characters to watch out for are '|' and '\'. Monday's build will fully safeguard against any possibility of creating playlists with these characters. Currently MC does not support '\' in a Playlist name and if you have '|' in a playlist name it will be converted to a '?' character. What will change Monday is that you will no longer be able to manually create a playlist directly on iPod with those characters.

In regards to iPod's sorting of non alphabetic or numeric characters, I would have to test to be sure, it is determined by the firmware on iPod.

Everyone,

If you followed any of Vivvy's posts, let me make a few comments. I am always available to work with whatever problems users are having. The combination of layers of hardware, drivers, competing software solutions, the necessity for our own software to evolve, and no documentation on iPod from Apple,makes solving problems difficult and frustrating at times, but generally not impossible. In order to productively move towards solutions, it is necessary for users to cooperate with suggestions and be patient, I intend to return the same courtesy. Vivvy seems to want me to somehow solve his problems without his cooperation. I wish him well and look forward to helping others in whatever way I can.

Steve

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2003, 03:26:38 pm »

I performed a playlist sync today and all of my ratings reset to 0!

Has anyone else experienced this?
If so what is the cause?

SteveG

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2003, 03:34:58 pm »

Ashley,

Were the ratings set to 0 on iPod? When you looked at the ratings for the files on iPod from within MC, did they have values other than 0?

I must go for the day, but will take a look at your reponse on Monday.

Steve

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2003, 03:39:21 pm »

Everyone,

If you followed any of Vivvy's posts, let me make a few comments. I am always available to work with whatever problems users are having. The combination of layers of hardware, drivers, competing software solutions, the necessity for our own software to evolve, and no documentation on iPod from Apple,makes solving problems difficult and frustrating at times, but generally not impossible. In order to productively move towards solutions, it is necessary for users to cooperate with suggestions and be patient, I intend to return the same courtesy. Vivvy seems to want me to somehow solve his problems without his cooperation which is way too frustrating. I wish him well and look forward to helping others in whatever way I can.

Steve

I have been following Vivvy's post and fully understand his frustration. What I guess he misses is that we are working on a Beta and should expect the odd niggle causing frustration.

IMO contributing to MC and in particular the iPOD plug-ins development is a privilege and represents an excellent model of customer service: we have a problem - Steve helps fix it. We have an idea - Steve does his best to implement it.

How many other products give this level of service.  I for one enjoy being involved, in a small way, in the development of such a great product. It is only through our problems and requests and Steve's responses that the product is of the form it now is.

Keep up the good work Steve, and everyone at J River.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2003, 03:47:33 pm »

Ashley,

Were the ratings set to 0 on iPod? When you looked at the ratings for the files on iPod from within MC, did they have values other than 0?

I must go for the day, but will take a look at your reponse on Monday.

Steve

Steve,

I don't set ratings on the iPOD, just in MC and I didn't look at the ratings on the iPOD. I just noticed that my Smartlist for 1 hours worth of rated 5 was empty. Then I found that all my ratings were gone.

Sorry to be vague. If it happens again I'll take more notice. I'll keep playlists containing the rated songs so that I can easily restore them should they get lost agian.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2003, 03:52:03 pm »

Ashley,

Any time delay you see is most likely attributable to the retrieval of  the data from iPod's database, not the hardware connection iteself. You can verify this by deselecting the right click option 'Show files at root'. With this deselected, MC should recognize your iPod when it connects at virtually the same time as Explorer recognizes the iPod.

Where can I find this 'Show files at root' option. I can't see it when I right click on 'F'.

Would it be possible to include the volume adjustment dialogue on the sync dialogue? It would seem neater to me to have all sync options in one place.

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2003, 04:15:29 pm »

Steve,

Thank you. I look forward to the fix. Will this also solve the crashing problem I've described?

BTW, frustrations aside, I echo Mindracing's comment about support. I've not encountered any company (beta or otherwise) that is as responsive as the JRiver folks -- thank you!

Thank you,

John

btvillarin

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2003, 05:13:26 pm »

John (and anyone converting more than 10 files at a time on the fly with disappearing playlists while synching)

Good news. I think I found the root of your problem. I have fixed it, but it will not be available until the next build of MC which won't be until next week. Sorry for the delay and for the aggravation.

Awesome!  Good job Steve!

SomeOneWho

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2003, 07:39:36 pm »

Would it be possible to move the iPod/iTunes thread to a separate discussion board?  I like to keep up with what's going on in this area but it's becoming increasingly difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff as the thread(s) grows longer.  Searches on this topic are also becoming difficult.

I think the number of posts is a strong indicator of the level of interest in this area.  Perhaps a forum for iPod as well as all other such handheld devices Media Jukebox/Media Center supports would be more appropriate?

Thanks!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2003, 10:18:28 pm »

Just to add a little backup to the Vivvy issue.

I really think a lot of his discontent stems from not being familiar with the interactive development approach of MC9.

When I first started using MC9 I was uncomfortable as well with the approach.  I felt like I was a non-payed QA department.

But I kept with it and soon I was able to see some of my recommendations make it into the software.

Neat, thought I.  This is fun.  And as the product has progressed I've found it quite an enjoyable experience.   Worth treble the money I paid for the software.

True, it's not for all.  Some folks prefer the the standard approach: you get what they give you--no input at all (or very little).

I prefer to have my voice heard and see fast results.

So, hats off to you Steve, don't let 'em get to you.  ;D

Adam

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2003, 10:43:36 am »

Hi,

I would appreciate some help with an iPod sync problem I'm having.

I have been syncing successfully (always latest MC build, 40Gb iPOD) for a few weeks - no music transfer, just updating a few playlists / ratings.  Yesterday I added 3 new CDS to MC,  which were automatically included in some of my smart playlists.  I synced as normal (with both 'delete files not in sync' and 'transfer data to MC' ticked), and the files appeared to transfer successfully.

After disconnecting, I had no playlists - only a single 'entry' in the playlist screen which was an empty space.  This 'playlist' was an empty list.  Also, the 3 new albums were not to be found no matter where I looked on the iPod.  I reconnected, and the 3 albums DID show up in the g:\ view on MC.

I deduced there must be a problem with the DB,  so I selected the 'rebuild iPod DB' option.  This completed in about 15 seconds (I have about 35Gb of music, so surprised it was so quick!).  I then did another sync, and ALL my files transferred again to the iPod.

Would like to understand what is going on, and if I can try to avoid this in future!  I'm not bothered about the odd resync, but it took ages to redownload all my music!  By the way, I am not using any other iPod software on the PC.

Thanks,

Mark.

PS Sorry for the long post - I tried to be as detailed as possible, in case that helps.

jniz

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2003, 05:57:07 pm »

mclaugh,

When you say you get the crazy numbers, is that when you have selected 'iPod' in the tree and are viewing the files on iPod from MC or is it in MC after the sync?  I am unable to duplicate it with 1.3 firmware. Try this, close MC and from within Windows Explorer, go to your iPod\iPod_Control\iTunes directory and delete your 'Play Counts' file. Without opening MC, disconnect your iPod and play some files. Reconnect iPod and see if the playcounts are displayed correctly.

jniz,

Your iTunesDB is probably corrupted. Please try the following..  (you may end up losing all your data on the iPod, but hopefully not)

1) From Windows, go to your iPod\iPod_Control\iTunes directory and delete your iTunesDB file. When you view your iPod in MC you will not see your files listed. Your files are still there, they just are not recognized by MC.

2) Right click on your iPod drive letter and select 'Rebuild Database from iPod'. This will reconstruct your iTunesDB but will not recreate playlists.

3) If you want your playlists back, resync your iPod with your Playlists selected. This should go relatively quickly because MC will not need to retransfer the files, but only the Playlist data.

Ashley,

In regards to the playlists, the characters to watch out for are '|' and '\'. Monday's build will fully safeguard against any possibility of creating playlists with these characters. Currently MC does not support '\' in a Playlist name and if you have '|' in a playlist name it will be converted to a '?' character. What will change Monday is that you will no longer be able to manually create a playlist directly on iPod with those characters.

In regards to iPod's sorting of non alphabetic or numeric characters, I would have to test to be sure, it is determined by the firmware on iPod.

Everyone,

If you followed any of Vivvy's posts, let me make a few comments. I am always available to work with whatever problems users are having. The combination of layers of hardware, drivers, competing software solutions, the necessity for our own software to evolve, and no documentation on iPod from Apple,makes solving problems difficult and frustrating at times, but generally not impossible. In order to productively move towards solutions, it is necessary for users to cooperate with suggestions and be patient, I intend to return the same courtesy. Vivvy seems to want me to somehow solve his problems without his cooperation. I wish him well and look forward to helping others in whatever way I can.

Steve

jniz

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2003, 06:05:03 pm »

My bad!!I got things working again thankyou Ashley and Adam  I refromated my ipod & it worked fine. Can you tell where to go, to make mc9 most compatibale with xp pro I have read a lot of different things. I have gen 3 with new update should I get rid of ipod manager? Things like that ect. I do like this program

btvillarin

« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2003, 06:20:23 pm »

Mark:

There's been this bug that we've been having to deal with, which was exactly what you described.  Plus, the steps you took to rebuild the database is what's needed to be done to get the playlists to show up again.

Quoted from Steve on 01:02 PM CST Friday, November 21, 2003

jniz:

Get rid of iPod manager because...Adam (Shawley) said to.  I forget the reason, but I know it's a good one.   ;D  Everything else should be fine.

Keep track of this MC9 forum (not just this thread) for the latest builds.  I'm running Windows XP Pro as well, and other than that playlist bug, MC9 runs very well on my system.

Cheers!

Bryan

BoothUK

• Recent member
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2003, 10:34:22 am »

In the last few months I've noticed that you can't disconnect your iPod using the Windows "Unplug or Eject Hardware" proggy that appears in your system tray while MC is running. This never used to be a problem - but I'm sorry I don't know what version the problem was introduced in as I missed out a whole load.

Also - if you try to use the Eject Ipod function within MC, the iPod correctly goes to "OK to disconnect" but it appears that Windows wasn't aware that the device has been ejected because when you remove the iPod from its dock, Windows slaps your wrists and says that it wasn't properly dismounted and you risk loosing data.

Therefore - the only way to correctly remove your iPod at present is to quit MC and then use the Windows "Remove hardware" thingy. This definately never used to be the case...

Media Center Registered 9.1.309 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1797 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 261 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2003, 11:29:08 am »

BoothUK,

Im running XP Pro and have no problem ejecting the sys tray app while MC is running. Check that nothing else is 'hanging on' to the iPOD.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2003, 11:32:28 am »

My bad!!I got things working again thankyou Ashley and Adam  I refromated my ipod & it worked fine. Can you tell where to go, to make mc9 most compatibale with xp pro I have read a lot of different things. I have gen 3 with new update should I get rid of ipod manager? Things like that ect. I do like this program

In my experience the only way to be totally reliable is to run nothing else except MC with the iPOD. I only need to use Audible Manager to download the aa files from Audible bu I use MC to sync them and this works fine.

If you do have Audible Manager check that it's not running iPOD manager in the background as I've found it doesn't exit sometimes when you exit AM. Best to just remove iPODManager all together IMO.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2003, 12:16:04 pm »

I am having new problems with my iPod.

When I dock the iPod, Windows picks it up. MC does too, but there's another listing in my Handheld list (called "Lyra" -- I had a Lyra about a year ago, but I haven't plugged it into my computer since last winter, and it just showed up all of a sudden). You can see a screenshot below. I have Restored my iPod, and when I come back into MC and right-click the iPod, all I get is "Format" (also visible in the screenshot).

Here is the screenshot:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/384749/ipod(Medium).JPG

By the way, the screenshot was taken before I Restored. Notice that it shows no songs on the iPod, even though they are there. Along the bottom, it shows that there is only 5.1 gig free (of the 30 gig). Even after the Restore, it shows only "Format" on the right-click menu. EDIT: I just looked at the screenshot again, and it was taken AFTER my Restore. But it did act the way I described before the restore. Thanks.

What is going on?

Thanks for any help,

crow

Media Center Registered 9.1.309 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2253 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 240 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive E:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-40125S         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

BoothUK

• Recent member
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2003, 05:11:08 pm »

Mindracing,

I don't think anything is. I've got iTunes installed but I don't use it and the iPod Manager service is disabled. Besides - it always works as soon as I quit MC - so surely it's MC that's causing the problem.

Other than this MC works perfectly for me! ;)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2003, 05:28:56 pm »

When you install iTUNES it removes iPOD Manager as it's not needed. Did you reinstall it?

If you didn't it may be that your iTUNES installation's not wuite right. Try uninstalling it and iPOD manager and then see what happens.

Can you eject the iPOD from within MC OK?

Niro

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2003, 07:21:38 pm »

After removing a few songs and adding a few others to the MC9 library...I synch'd my ipod, after that synch there were no playlists on the ipod (except "on the go") and also there were no songs on it when browsing.  Going to settings/about listed 0 songs...but still 24 gigs occupied.  I then rebuild the ipod database from MC9, which restored all my songs but not the playlists...then I had to resynch again to get the playlists back.

I'm using MC9.1.306.
Oh yea..I looked at the itunesdb file on the ipod, it was completely empty (0 bytes).

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2003, 08:02:39 pm »

OK,

I got it to work. I had to turn off "Enable WMDM detection" in the Plugin manager. Then it worked -- I was able to initialize and sync.

But I got a "file type not supported" error for my iTMS files (m4p). The "iscinfo" file is on the iPod....

crow

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2003, 09:14:55 pm »

Nevermind,

A reinstall fixed it.  Sorry for wasting board space  :-[

crow

BoothUK

• Recent member
« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2003, 07:50:32 am »

Sorry yes - it's not iPod Manager - but the iPod service that accompanies iTunes that I disabled in the Services control panel. Therefore I'm sure it's not iTunes which is causing the problem.

It was definately an upgrade of MC which started this behaviour. I'm just surprised more people aren't seeing it.

I'll try completely removing iTunes when I've got a minute and see if the problem persists.

Thanks!

SteveG

« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2003, 10:15:31 am »

Everyone,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, the whole Vivvy affair was a drain. Also, thanks to all for helping field questions over the weekend, that is a big help.  Also, this thread has grown large again. I will lock this one and start a new one.

Ashley,

Update me when you can if you see the ratings issue again. Try to confirm that it was the sync that caused the ratings to go away as opposed to something else.  The show files at root should be available as a right-click option at the root letter. If not, try getting the next build and then you should be able to see it.  In regards to the volume adjustment, this option is iPod specific and the sync dialogue is not, so for now it is best to leave it in the right click.

John,

Hopefully. It is hard to say what the crash was all about as I could not replicate it here.

SomeOneWho,

Not at this time.  Sorry.  After this post, I will open a new thread and close this one so it is not so cumbersome to navigate.

Mark,

The fact that the rebuild went so quickly and the files all retransfered leads me to believe that when you synched with 'delete files not in sync' checked, you may not have had all the playlsits you wanted selected, or MC did not recognize them, or perhaps you had reimported files which were already on iPod. Any of these situations would cause the files to delete on iPod which would be consistent with what you saw. Hard to say. If you see it again, please view your iPod from Windows and check if the music files are on the iPod. Also, copy and send me your iTunesDB so I can see what you are seeing.

BoothUK,

I am unable to duplicate this. Please update me when you remove iTunes and see if anything changes.

Niro,

I am not sure. I cannot duplicate this. Have you seen this consistently or was this a one time thing? If you see it again, please send me the iTunesDB.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up