INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for recording the DVD audio soundtrack with Media Recorder  (Read 2176 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...

Hi all,

Last night I was playing around a little with Media Center and DVD playback.

I started "ripping" to mp3 VBR-high the audio soundtrack of a Concert DVD using Media recorder, setting the source to "mixer" and the Creative Audigy2 to "what you're hearing (or something like this in english)". The results were very satisfactory to me.  Since most of the concert DVDs don't have its counterpart in CDs, it will be great to, at least, have the soundtrack in mp3 to listen to them using Media Center, so I assume I can "rip" the audio of all my concert DVDs this way.

Anyway, at this point I would need some advice.

What is the best way to get the whole thing splitted into tracks?

1.- I can start playback, record with Media Recorder and apply "split track" every time the track changes in order to generate a new track... but this will be time consuming and cannot be done unattended. Cannot use the "gap" feature since there are no gaps between tracks in this kind of DVDs.

2.- Can I "rip" the whole thing in one only track (unattended) and then split it into tracks using "Media Editor"? Is that easy?

3.- Any better suggestion?

By the way, I don't have a special shortage of hard disk space so it would be great to rip the audio AND the video altogether... but I think this is not especially easy, is it not  :)? Ripping the audio soundtrack would be enough at this time, but if anyone has a suggestion as to easily achieve both at the same time (even if it means to have the DVD copied into the dard disk) I will be happy to know it.

Thanks for your time.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Advice for recording the DVD audio soundtrack with Media Recorder
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 11:06:39 am »

See...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=9689

I don't see a way in EAC to generate a cue sheet from the resulting wav. If it can be done (with some other program), then you could use EAC>Tools>Split wav by cue sheet. This assumes that the gaps are silent enough between tracks to be set as index points.

10-27

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 12:58:47 pm »

Thanks for the info, Xen. I'm gonna take a look at that thread and the link provided by sraymond.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 01:04:13 pm »

Have you tried ripping the audio out instead of recording it through a line out to a line in?

You can give it a try by reading up www.doom9.org.

The steps in ripping a DVD audio would be to ripped the VOB file out using SmartRipper, then run DVD2AVI (to grab the AC3 stream if applicable) and then you can use software like headac3he to convert the AC3 stream to the appropiate format.

I have used it to ripped live concert from DVD and I would presume that it should be a much better way of getting audio off the DVD as everything is done digitally thus reducing the chance of degrading the audio.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't Panic!

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 03:12:07 pm »

2.- Can I "rip" the whole thing in one only track (unattended) and then split it into tracks using "Media Editor"? Is that easy?

It should be fairly easy using File/Save Selection As in Media Editor.

You might also be able to find a free or cheap audio editor (like Audacity) that will let you insert cue points into a large wav and then automatically split on those cues. I use Cool Edit 2000 to do this. Unfortunately it is no longer legally available.

Rob

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 03:48:51 pm »

I have a SB Live Platinum with Optical In/Out. I had a play with recording a snippet of highly intelligent Schwarzenegger speech into Cool Edit Pro by setting the record source to Optical In.

Sounded pretty good...

I've tried using various tools to rip the soundtrack froma DVD, but it seems like rather a big pain in the buttocks to me.

Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up