INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC10-I'am disappointed cause i misunderstood  (Read 3493 times)

zevele10

MC10-I'am disappointed cause i misunderstood
« on: December 18, 2003, 11:42:43 am »

When i saw : MC 10: Remove 'All Media' Mode .

I was very please.
But ,playing with 18 , i see that ,it is just 'cosmetic'
The main thing who REALLY drives me mad is still here.
In tag info , there is not 'All Audio' option.

As far as i can see ,because Action windows does not go full screan  for now, if you want to see all the audio infos concerning a song ,you still go the 234567890 miles long panel with infos concerning all media.

Do you have any project to set a 'All Audio' 'All pictures' ect fonction?

MC10 is - on my bike- fast as light. Faster than the last 9.

Sorry to be grumpy , can be something to do with my hair style...

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:MC10-I'am disappointed cause i misunderstood
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 05:21:22 pm »

Zev, there is a way to do what you want.

In Options/Tree & View it is possible to choose which group a field belongs to (ie., General, Extended, etc). All you have to do is change the group of all the fields you want to General and change the group of the fields you don't want to Extended. Then set the Action Window/File Properties/Tag Info to only display the General group. It works quite nicely.

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 05:52:44 pm »

Thank you !!

It is the perfect example of one fonction buried like the autor does NOT want you to use it .

And i do not see the help files of any help.....

Anyway i still think that there is an HUDGE need for a kind of 'shortcut setting' from the action window.

People pay 40 bucks for a ride in the land of software running on Windows .
Not for a  ride in  'i feel i'am in Linux land'

Listening to nothing ,but posting with Opera

fex

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 12:56:05 pm »

Almost every day something new to learn for me. MC is incredible.

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 02:39:52 pm »

My feeling is that few things are to be in the front.
Most are ,by the way.

I can understand that to built a smart list of songs with the guitar solo starting at 2' 34" you may need to jerk MC for 45 hours.

But any fonction like setting interface needs to be on the front and easy to use.
Well if you whish to sell beyond the power user crowd.

I really think that what i say  make sens.

Me ,i'am ok now.I know how to do it and i did it

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 11:03:53 am »

I suppose I could make it more clear in the help file, but the information is there, although it is under "Tree View & Settings", because that's where you have to go to create a new field, and that's where you decide which category your field appears in.

Search for "custom fields" and in the result list, select "Tree & View Settings"

It's the section entitled "Configure Library Field Settings", and the info you want is under "General", Category.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 07:21:09 am »

Hey Lise1
First Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee !

I have to say that the help file was not enought for me to find out.
Nothing about setting the infos you would like to see in Tag window.
Nothing about setting group to General or other.

I do not say that there is nothing about it.Maybe there is using other words.
Just that ,for someone like me, it is just not enought explicite.

Do not take my comment hard.
You are very kind to JRiver and us to bother to write Help Files.

But i do think that it is not normal that it is you doing such a thing.
It needs to be someone from JRiver..

But ,they do not have time [well...] and they fly to hight to bother with telling how to use they creation...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 07:23:52 am »

You are very kind to JRiver and us to bother to write Help Files.

But i do think that it is not normal that it is you doing such a thing.
It needs to be someone from JRiver..
Zev,
For the purpose of the Help file, Lise is JRiver.  Or better.  The last person who should write a Help file is the person who wrote the program.

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 07:40:17 am »

JimH
 But ,MC is so complex , there is so much things that Lise cannot know everything and therefore write about them.

I do not mean to be rude. I ask ,i got an answer , i set MC and i'am fine.
So ,i can stop here , happy and satisfied.

It is just that i think i'am the type of customers that MC can attrack.
-Not a powerfull user ,for sure
-But not 100% computer idiot
-Knowing to much to go with another program
-But not enought to find out alone.
-Who need very explicite help files to find out

In the case of this subject:
With a plain help file , steep by steep , most [ if not all] asking for a MJ version of MC would not ask anymore.
Most [ if not all] of the ones saying that MC is a mess ,difficult to use ect ect would not say it anymore.

Because there is a way to set MC as you like in fact.

But it is not front end presented.

I do not think i'am idiot [ well not that much...] and ,honest i cannot find out on my own.

And i can tell you that i read the help files ,quite a lot.

I was not making any unfriendly remarks to Lise , I was just explaning that i did not find throught the help files.
Can be my fault. But in this case it means that many many will have the same problem.

toniann

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 03:01:39 pm »

[quote-JimH wrote, "... The last person who should write a Help file is the person who wrote the program ..."

Really??
My thinking is that the best person to write the help text is the program creator.  It is best for the programmer.  It is best for the user.  Hopefully the programmer is also a heavy user.

The programmer knows the 'claimed superior' paradigm he chose, and benefits from explaining it to others. Of course not everyone can program, and time is a valuable commodity. I suspect JRiver's resources are not sufficient to allow the programmer to also have the time to write instructions, hints, and guidelines, although I do think that at least a top level view of the design basics should be provided by the programmer.  Often what was thought to be a simple and elegant interface turns out to fail.  The sooner the programmer can deal with the gulf between wish and current reality, the sooner the design can be done anew.  I suspect JimH is trying to say he does not have the resources to let the programmer write the help text.  A compromise might be a top level introduction to the design paradigm written by the programmer.  This is a long winded way to say what Aesop said more elegantly below:

http://www.cimande.com/writings/2003/sept5.htm

Truth and consequences took a small step forward today, when after refusing prosecution's offering of a suspended jail term and confiscation of his compute equipment, 'DVD-Jon' Lech Johansen was vindicated by appeal court.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=696330
Bill Gates invented legal dots in middle of words because he was angry with his high school English teacher .. really.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 03:29:29 pm »

Of course not everyone can program

And not everyone can write.

And the set of programmers who can write is much much smaller than the set of programmers, just as the set of writers who can program is much much smaller than the set of writers.

j

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2003, 03:46:40 pm »

Ok,so let's put in in another way.
The one who writes has to do it with the help of the programmers who have to show him ANY fonction ,how to do it .The result of the manipulation and so on.

If you take in accompt than Lise writes Help files at home ,never having one of the JRiver Gang near her. And ,i'am sure ,not knowing 100% of the how ,when and why of MC, you can say that she makes a pretty fantastic job.

Anyway ,John, if all of you can stay away from internert Interact from 24th evening up to the monday morning ...,SURE you will have good time.
Only for this raison if not other...

I'am sure than ,sometimes we sound to you as 4 letters ------ [fill the cases]...

Good turkey anyway

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 05:43:24 pm »

Just to clear something up...

When I write the help file, I have access to everyone at J River. Every single programmer answers each and every one of my questions. Some even write their own sections, where I am lacking in the equipment to test.

Users of this board have also been very helpful. I always post a "help file" thread, and I ask questions that super users know the answers to.

There is no information I can't access.  If there are any errors or if anything is unclear, it is entirely my responsiblity.  
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 06:33:23 pm »

And the JRiver staff thinks Lise is a godess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up