INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Search Window Size  (Read 8471 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Search Window Size
« on: January 08, 2004, 08:48:23 am »

We've seen some requests for increasing the size of the search window.  We'd like to change this, but can you explain what you want?  Or a link to an existing thread on this?

Thanks.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Search Window Size
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 08:55:03 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 08:58:08 am »

We don't have total flexibility on where the window is, but we may be able to do something.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 10:18:10 am »

This is just a quick and dirty representation, but it would work for me. About 500-600% larger than current default. In this position, I don't think it should be expandible. For those that need that, perhaps a popup to keep the interface clean?

http://www.glows.com/mediacenter_examples/mc_searchv1.jpg

Since the search acts as a filter for everything from the panes down, I placed it above the panes. Seems pretty logical moving top to bottom:

1. search filter
2. Then panes filter
3. then results....

I added the text "Search" to make it clearer to the new user what the mysterious bar was for, style and or word could be changed.

Just one possibility...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 10:26:03 am »

This is just a quick and dirty representation,

i like it :)

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 10:38:28 am »

The swallows always return to Capestrano...

Quisp's placement is where 9.0 had it many moons ago (well, sometimes), which seems to be the best spot. If smartlist creation/editing could be handled like View Schemes are now, then the size of the Search Box is not so critical (but placement of said is...IMO).

10-27

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 10:40:36 am »

i like the dirty represenatation too, just like it was, just made more sense for me.
Rich

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 11:01:31 am »

Agree with the representation.  It could also be made so that it appeared on a click that way panes would look as they were and when the search button was clicked the searcbar slides down...like iTunes does with their panes...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 11:07:01 am »

As I said, we don't have full flexibility in where it goes.

What about size?

xen-uno

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 11:36:57 am »

OK...but you really can't do anything about the size if it stays in it's current position...can you? When "We don't have total flexibility on where the window is" is taken into account, then where can it go? Does it have to stay in the "curved bezel portion"...as it is now?

10-27

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 11:53:53 am »

We don't have total flexibility on where the window is...
who has?  ;D

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 11:56:16 am »

Apparently there is a defined structure or grid that is dictating where things go and how they work, etc. If we knew what our options were, it would save a lot of time rather than having to guess with, "How about here? no? What about here? No?" - Know?

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 11:59:26 am »

Apparently there is a defined structure or grid that is dictating where things go and how they work, etc. If we knew what our options were, it would save a lot of time rather than having to guess with, "How about here? no? What about here? No?" - Know?
Don't shout "Jehova" - It may hurt... ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 12:19:05 pm »

I Don't Care Where It Goes

=========================

And It Should Remember What I Typed Into It When I Go Someplace And Then Back Again.

Please...
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 12:28:33 pm »

And It Should Remember What I Typed Into It When I Go Someplace And Then Back Again.
The next build will remember where you left your socks.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2004, 12:28:52 pm »

As possibly the easiest change, I like the v9 placement, ie 'quick and dirty'.

This get a bit philosophical from here on, but I really liked the way that Sam envisioned it here with his search/filter area. I dont think its exactly what Sam had in mind, but I think a vertical search area which puts a criterion on each row gives a nicer visual representation of the 'filtering' effect than a bar. Maybe it would fit better within the UI constraints? It would pretty much cover all the basic searches I do, but not so good if your search includes lots of brackets, ANDs and ORs though.

The philosophy is the difference between a 'filter' (=view scheme?) and a 'search' (=subsearch). The mechanism is the same for both, and so I think the interface should be the same, even if one is in a dialog and one is on the main window. I start to babble when I think of this too much, as you can tell, but I thought Sam expressed it visually very well - much better than I am doing. I really think this is a fundamental MC strength, though, and one of the most crucial things to get right in the interface. Constraints permitting, it should have as much space as it needs.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2004, 12:46:28 pm »

The next build will remember where you left your socks.

Thats why i have about 50 Pairs of socks so i don't need to keep up with them and they are all white in case i lose one it matters not.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2004, 12:52:25 pm »

Mine are all black so I don't have to wash them...

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 01:01:19 pm »

Mine are all black so I don't have to wash them...
Do they have the right size? Remember those Red Hot Chili Peppers performances.... :-X

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 01:07:51 pm »

Can you move the Media Mode buttons?

I'm just thinking that if you shrunk the display window down (where it shows the currently playing track), then you could make the search bar bigger. But then the media mode buttons would look kind of odd. So moving them to over the tree (where it really makes the most sense in my mind) would help with that.

Whatever you do, I really hope the search bar just winds up big enough to actually be usefull. It's almost pointless in its current state, especially given that it's also the only way to edit a smartlist.

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 01:17:01 pm »

How about moving the search box to the opposite side, so it is next to the play buttons, and move the media mode buttons like Doof said to over the tree.
Rich

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 01:22:56 pm »

And It Should Remember What I Typed Into It When I Go Someplace And Then Back Again

It does.  Use the back command. (backspace or back mouse button)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 01:59:00 pm »

OK, another idea based on some of the suggestions above.

Again, quick and dirty, like my socks...

http://www.glows.com/mediacenter_examples/mc_searchv2.jpg

1. Media Mode buttons are above the tree. This seems to make the most sense since clicking on these buttons has an immediate, and within your visual focus, effect on the tree. Also, look how easy it would be to create a pseudo tab like tie-in to the rest of the interface. Seems like a lot of confusion as mentioned in other threads would be lessoned by making a strong visual link to the changing of modes and the changing of interface. Also, since the mode buttons are next to the tree, users will be more likely to see that the tree is "filtered" when the mode buttons are selected. (I must admit that it took me a couple of days to figure out what the big deal was with the mode buttons, because I completely missed how it was effecting the tree and other parts of the screen.)

2. Play buttons moved to the right. I mainly did this for visual balance. If they were above or below the relocated mode buttons the screen would get too busy and crowded.

3. Search remains where it was before, if possible. Bigger and placed in what I think is the most logical position, not taking into consideration, technical/physical issues I'm not aware of behind the scenes. I forgot to change the search header to reflect the way it works now. I like the fact that the search text acts as a head and then disappears once you begin to use the search box. Even more room for searching.

One other thought, if the Zone indicater were made less prominent/ didn't take up a line, then the progress meter, artist playing, etc. box could be made vertically narrower and maybe the search bar could go under this. Might be a little visually confusing, but I'm sure that could be worked out with a nice three-d blue outline effect of some sort...

Edit: Option 3: http://www.glows.com/mediacenter_examples/mc_searchv3.jpg

phelt

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 03:36:21 pm »

Quisp's comments and mockups are mostly in line with my own thoughts about placement of UI elements. Put controls near the things they control.

With regard to mockups 2 and 3, I don't like the move of the play control buttons to the right. I see this attempt to keep things "clean" in a few UI designs, and I understand the motivations, but I think they are sometimes misguided. Increasing the distance to frequently accessed targets and widely separating primary controls is not necessarily a good thing. IMO, the v3 mockup would be sweet with the play controls returned to their current position. The volume slider acts as a simple delineator between the play controls and the media mode buttons.

With apologies to Quisp for "liberating" his mockup, something like this would be fine with me:
http://69.73.147.182/mc/mc_searchv3_phelt-mod.jpg

Obviously more effort would have to go into the spacing, delineation, etc. but I think it's it's fairly logical in terms of grid layout and control positioning.

I'm sincerely not trying to be a smart*ss, but I am puzzled by JimH's comment that they do not have "full flexibility" in positioning of the search bar. It used to be in a different place, then it got moved, so I guess I don't understand why it can't be moved again in a beta for a full version change.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2004, 03:41:26 pm »

phelt, change the media mode buttons into tabs and I think it's perfect :)

-John

rocketsauce

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2004, 03:47:12 pm »

The only thing I use the Search bar for is occasionally altering smartlist rules, so it's size is not that important to me. Although, it would be nice to have it be a little bigger, but I really, really dislike how the autosizing of the Search bar makes the track info/zone display smaller. Since I rarely use Playing Now view, I have the track info/zone display configured to show most of the info that would normally be shown in a Playing Now Track Info visualization and the autosizing of the Search bar messes this up.

So, my vote is to find a way to make the Search bar bigger that doesn't include autosizing or making the track info/zone display smaller.

Rob

edit: Just took a look at phelt's mockup, and it looks like the perfect solution to me. :)

phelt

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2004, 03:47:14 pm »

Hi skeeterfood,

May I ask why tabs, particularly? Is it for better state indication (ie, this is the thing that's currently selected)? I'm not disagreeing, it's just that might always be a better way... sometimes tabs can be slightly busy/wasteful in a small area. Perhaps button highlighting to indicate selection? Please elucidate.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2004, 03:49:09 pm »

both look good to me.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2004, 03:54:03 pm »

May I ask why tabs, particularly? Is it for better state indication (ie, this is the thing that's currently selected)? I'm not disagreeing, it's just that might always be a better way... sometimes tabs can be slightly busy/wasteful in a small area. Perhaps button highlighting to indicate selection? Please elucidate.

Actually, I don't really care if it's tabs, or something else, as long as I can easily see what mode I have selected.  Right now, there are only minor changes to the tree (nowhere near the button you pushed) that show you actually did something.  The feedback on the mode change needs to be tied closely to the button you pushed and be easily visible at all times...

-John

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2004, 04:16:24 pm »

rocketsauce> How are you seeing the search bar autosize? It doesn't autosize for me at all. It's always only as wide as the Media Mode buttons. If it were to autosize based on what search criteria are in there, or based on what I type, I wouldn't have a problem with it. As it is, it's completely unuseable.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2004, 04:17:31 pm »

rocketsauce> How are you seeing the search bar autosize? It doesn't autosize for me at all. It's always only as wide as the Media Mode buttons. If it were to autosize based on what search criteria are in there, or based on what I type, I wouldn't have a problem with it. As it is, it's completely unuseable.
It does re-size.  Maybe the skin you're using?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2004, 04:20:30 pm »

Oh, I see... it DOES resize itself when I type a search into it.

And when displaying a smartlist... at least it is here...

I'm so confused. I'm positive it doesn't do this at home.

But then again, I'm using 10.0.28 here at work, and 10.0.30 at home.

So is this a difference due to the different versions I'm using? I could have sworn it's been acting like this for far longer than .28...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2004, 04:24:26 pm »

It's been one of those days, I think.

I know for a fact there was one point where I was trying to edit a smartlist and I couldn't because the search bar was so small and I couldn't get to all of the search criteria.

Am I remembering this wrong? Or was this the case at one point?

And if it was, when did it change?

I don't know... maybe I didn't have the window sized so small that it wasn't resizing.

Regardless... forget everything I've said in here. As long as it does this, I'm content.

I think I need a nap.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2004, 04:28:37 pm »

phelt,

your mockup is great....  large enough search bar and the media buttons where they belong (in my opinion...). skeeterfood's comment about making it more obvious which mode is currently selected would even improve it.
(and can we please have that media mode be sticky again?)

Ingo

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2004, 04:29:51 pm »

I really like Phelts modification of Quisps modification.   ;D

As far as Jim's question about size, with all of the different available variables, you really need a search box that can display something like 4 or 5 of the search criteria at a time.  Scrolling through the search box to find the variable that you want to change is beyond annoying, it makes it useless.

The mode buttons really should be over the tree area.  And can we have a different Icon for the ALL mode.

i'm starting to get off topic, so I will stop here.

Thanks for listening.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

dragyn

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2004, 04:31:48 pm »

I never did like where it is now. Takes too much space for one and not enough space to see what you're typing. I'd rather have no search window than a small one where it is now.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2004, 04:34:12 pm »

phelt, change the media mode buttons into tabs and I think it's perfect :)

-John

Agreed!

Edit: Though I still would be a bit worried that it would be too easy to click accidentally on one of the media mode buttons while adjusting the volume, but spacing can easily be tweaked. My reasoning behind putting the play buttons on the left were many, one being workflow order, but I admit I'm coming from a western mindset--top to bottom, left to right.

phelt, Nice job! I like the balance a lot better than any of my other mockups.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 05:07:07 pm »

Yeah, I think phelt's mockup is ideal. IMHO, that's where the media mode buttons should be.

I also really like the suggestion of being able to hide the search bar in that mockup with a toggle-type button. Like the "Find" button in Outlook XP and 2003.

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2004, 05:22:52 pm »

I just have to ask..

Use the back command. (backspace or back mouse button)

Matt , What is a back mouse button?  

There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2004, 05:38:31 pm »

I have to agree with rocketsauce, whilst I like the fact that the search bar now autosizes, I dislike it completing with playing now info... not only can it block text, but also looks visually inconsistent to me (having the playing now info constently resizing).

I'm not sure where it -can- go, but as for size - if it's going to be locked in size, it should be at least 3-4 variables wide if not more... however I love the placement of it over the panes (eg phelt's mockup), since this makes full use of window width & -seems- (with my limited knowledge) a more logical position for it (and doesn't really compete with anything else.)

I also agree that the 'Media Mode' buttons should be placed over the tree, I think this would make the changes more obvious to beginning users. Oh, and having the play buttons on the left too... so basically phelt's mockup of Quisp's mockup :)  (basically I very rarely venture over the far right of the screen, so I only want rarely used functions over there, eg maxamise, min, close, dsp, filters, etc... not the play buttons... nor the search bar).

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2004, 05:41:38 pm »

I just have to ask..

Use the back command. (backspace or back mouse button)

Matt , What is a back mouse button?  

I was wondering the same thing, and i guess i don't have one since nothing i do can bring up what was once typed into the search bar.

So maybe he was pulling our leg

Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2004, 05:57:27 pm »

A back mouse button is a button on the mouse that's been configured to issue the Internet Back command. Many of the newer mice (with more than 2 buttons) allow you to configure what the 3rd (and 4th, 5th, etc) buttons do.

For instance... my mouse has 8 buttons on it.

So I have the following command configured:

Left Click
Right Click
Double Click
Back
Forward
PgUp
PgDn
Task Switch

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2004, 06:23:57 pm »

Please, This Reminds Me Of The Game Twister From The 60's

That Was Fun When Played With A Bunch Of Girls.

Buying a new Mouse with 45 buttons just to remember what was typed into a search don't sould like the same game.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2004, 08:01:16 pm »

some programs use windows that can be moved, docked and removed so the user can move the windows around to meet there needs.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

doGman76

• Recent member
  • I'm a... dogman!
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2004, 12:18:19 am »

http://69.73.147.182/mc/mc_searchv3_phelt-mod.jpg

I also think it would be a perfect solution for the next version. (And a sticky media mode again please...)

rocketsauce

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2004, 01:03:12 am »

Anyway, for me, I've always felt that the huge "Playing Now" area (with the location bar, the shuffle and repeat buttons, and song info) is a huge wast of screen real estate.  There is always a ton of space both to the left and right of the text in that box.

It all depends on how you have the display configured:

The display area is far more useful to me and I would hate to see it get smaller. I rarely use the Search bar.

Rob

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2004, 01:50:04 am »

KingSparta:
Buying a new Mouse with 45 buttons just to remember what was typed into a search don't sound like the same game.

Note he said "backspace or the back button".
Use the back command. (backspace or back mouse button).
You -should- have a backspace key on the keyboard... I've tested it, it brings back the text... however it also brings back the previous view scheme.  I believe you were looking for something that remembers the text and allows you to change the view scheme, no?

PS: The internet back button on the mouse can be replicated with "alt-left cursor" ("alt-right cursor" for the forward button).

rocketsauce

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2004, 05:33:10 am »

It is not easily scanable to a users eyes.

Well it is much easier to read when it's full size rather than shrunk down to fit into this forum.

That much data would be better served in the Playing Now Window

That's the whole point. I can see relevant info about the currently playing track, see which tracks have been added to Playing Now (via the action window), and still browse my library. There's really no reason to have to switch to the Playing Now view. :)

Rob

nila

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2004, 05:37:16 am »

Smart idea!
Pity we cant make Track Info pages to define what shows there and how :)

TimB

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2004, 06:12:42 am »

I can't get the "my sox are black so I don't have to wash them" comment out of my head!  :o

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up