INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search Window Size  (Read 8472 times)

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Search Window Size
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2004, 06:33:28 am »

I'd want it formatted a bit more.

Sure, a little more control over formatting would be nice, say being able to specify text color or other attributes like bold, italic or underline or maybe a background color or image, but that's about it. Configuration of the track/zone display area should remain as simple as possible.

The area in the top just isn't enough...

I think it's more than enough. I certainly don't want it taking up anymore vertical space.  Anything more than that and you might as well just switch to Playing Now with a track info vis that takes up a third of your screen.

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2004, 06:45:15 am »

On a side note, lots of things should be able to be turned off....if you only do audio, why have the 4 mode icons?...if you don't search, why see the search box...if you don't use the action window, why slow everything down by having it show?  That kind of functionality is what makes software packages like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and the like powerful.  Even Winamp and MediaPlayer allow the user to turn off items they don't want to see.

=-=-=-=-=-=My feling is that they through that it is better to put a max on the front...like it idiot users like me will know it is here..

But ,in fact it gives the opposite result , it is very confusing.

MC remeans me coffee table in old women flat : it is full of pictures , little porcelaines ect ect .
If you just want to put you cup of tea on it , there is no room

LonWar

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2004, 10:17:04 am »

Any word on when or if the search window will be changed?
-

LisaRCT

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2004, 10:28:58 am »

We don't have total flexibility on where the window is, but we may be able to do something.

Huh?  
You guys write the software and draw your own screen windows don't you have total control over everything here?
I am confused . . . again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2004, 10:32:24 am »

We don't have total flexibility on where the window is, but we may be able to do something.
You guys write the software and draw your own screen windows don't you have total control over everything here?

It's a long story.

LisaRCT

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2004, 11:03:44 am »

It's a long story.

LOL, OK wanna tell me over a cup of coffee??   ;D
I'll buy!

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2004, 05:48:58 pm »

I liked phelt's mockup, it is a step in the right direction.

However, the problem with a small search box comes in when building long Smartlist definitions - it's like doing keyhole surgery! I have a 42" screen, and I'm using a 1" x 3" area in the corner to write smartlists!

What would be *perfect* would be a searchbox as per phelt's mockup AND a smartlist wizard like the one in iTunes or Winamp5.

With a bit more work on Hairstyle, I have no further feature requests, really.

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2004, 06:15:05 pm »

And It Should Remember What I Typed Into It When I Go Someplace And Then Back Again

It does.  Use the back command. (backspace or back mouse button)
Well, I for one don't use a back mouse button - not everyone has one. Jumping to a keyboard where the point and click thing is so well integrated doesn't make sense either. I appreciate the concept of not to have too many methods to do something, however keyboard shortcuts should be only an accelerator, not just the only interface for a function (particularly one that well known in web-browser interfaces).

I'd really appreciate it if we had the old gui bar to do that (and also the customisable functions - although I know this is going back on old ground).

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2004, 06:16:44 pm »

It's a long story.

Seems to be common these days for J River to tell us that things are out of their hands.  Complaints about icons were "not open for discussion".  A request for a change to the Replay Gain was met with "no, sorry".  And now this.  What with all the talk of a big announcement a few months back, it's pretty clear that the product has been sold on to someone somewhere (presumably some sort of online music store) but it's increasingly frustrating to find that the people who write the software don't have control over where it goes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2004, 06:59:26 pm »

It's a long story.

Seems to be common these days for J River to tell us that things are out of their hands.  Complaints about icons were "not open for discussion".  [.... and so on]
Maybe we've been too open in our development.  Would you rather not hear anything?  I'd be glad to stop answering detailed questions about what we're going to do.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2004, 07:20:39 pm »

I'd rather hear what you ARE going to do, rather than simply shooting people's constructive suggestions down in flames for no reason other than "there's something going on that we're not tell you about".

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the feedback this forum allows, in both directions.  But it seems increasingly that perfectly good suggestions are dismissed out of hand for reasons that are never properly explained.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2004, 07:31:40 pm »

can we stop the bickering?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2004, 08:15:00 pm »

can we stop the bickering?
Why?  What's your point?  ;)

So did you see George Bush in Atlanta?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2004, 08:27:15 pm »

So did you see George Bush in Atlanta?
I was in class the whole time I was down there from 07:30-5:00Pm then I had home work. That was basically looking at a stack of paper that was about 10inches tall (A branch P&L) for a branch in F.L. and figure out what was wrong with it.

Basically it was off $250,000 in sales, Employee turnover and allowances sucked.

>> George Bush in Atlanta

Was all over the news down there.

The only thing I saw was the Highway signs, And the Company HQ as I was driving out trying to get out of there.

We stayed in a “Sleep Inn” 6 floors, it was nice they sent beer to the room everyday. I had to give my beer to someone else and drank diet coke. They had internet in the rooms, but i don't have a laptop. i did use the desktop computer they had there to get online.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2004, 12:21:43 am »

But it seems increasingly that perfectly good suggestions are dismissed out of hand for reasons that are never properly explained.

Just because in the past J River has chosen to be open about their development process, the reasons why certain decisions are made and incorporating user suggestions into MC does not mean they are obligated to continue doing so.

Rob

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2004, 01:53:38 am »

But it seems increasingly that perfectly good suggestions are dismissed out of hand for reasons that are never properly explained.

Just because in the past J River has chosen to be open about their development process, the reasons why certain decisions are made and incorporating user suggestions into MC does not mean they are obligated to continue doing so.

Rob

Erm ... they did ask us:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=17389

rocketsauce

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2004, 03:53:31 am »

Sure, they did ask. Probably many of those suggestions will eventually find their way in to MC too. However, I would still say they are not obligated, nor is it feasable for them to explain with detailed reasons why every feature request/suggestion is or is not going to implemented. In this thread, Jim has said twice that they don't have "total flexibility on where the window is". That should be enough. Whether or not he chooses to share the more detailed reasons why is up to him.

Rob

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2004, 04:31:44 am »

However, I would still say they are not obligated, nor is it feasable for them to explain with detailed reasons why every feature request/suggestion is or is not going to implemented.

I agree but we are not asking for detailed reasons for "every feature request/suggestion" ... just why the developers of the software cannot put back the functionality they removed.   If the number of responses on this subject is anything to go by it is a feature used by a lot paying customers hence J River should take note or risk alienating said customers.

In this thread, Jim has said twice that they don't have "total flexibility on where the window is". That should be enough.

Only if J River has the commercial or cash capabilities of Microsoft ... but they do not.   They need to listen to customers or else no-one will buy their software.

It looks like they are writing the software for someone else now or maybe even looking to sell the code on.   Users opinions no longer matter, which for an independant software vendor is a brave or foolish attitude to take depending on your point of view.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2004, 07:35:31 am »

Jamie,
I'm the CEO of the company.  It's Saturday morning at 7:30.  I'm listening.

We don't do everything you want because we sometimes don't agree and we sometimes have other requirements that conflict.

And sometimes you don't agree with each other.

Then sometimes we just haven't gotten around to it.

Jim

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2004, 04:58:25 pm »

Jamie,
I'm the CEO of the company.  It's Saturday morning at 7:30.  I'm listening.

Thanks, Jim. The fact that you are listening is just great and seriously appreciated by me!

If there is anyone out there who still doesn't understand - we already are getting some of the very best support I've seen from a commercial software development company!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2004, 08:52:09 am »

The latest beta of 10 has a larger search bar.

Smartlists have a separate, full width search bar.  

If you commonly need a wide search bar, keep a temporary smartlist around and use it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2004, 06:54:33 pm »

:'( ... it's ... beautiful ...

You've got a winner here, Matt. Perfect size for general searches now that smartlist criteria's have been decoupled (makes the location work, too). To top all that off, it does exactly what it should, that is, it allows you to (easily) drill down deeper in any view scheme / playlist / smartlist without destroying the very foundation that the list and society in general is built on.

I love you man!

10-27
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up