INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some good ideas from other players  (Read 1444 times)

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
Some good ideas from other players
« on: January 09, 2004, 09:44:07 pm »

While none of the competition can match MC for overall features, other players out there have some ideas MC could implement to good advantage.

A couple of examples:

From QCD:
  • Click on tray icon to pause, restart.
  • Show track info by mousing over tray icon.
  • When double-clicking on files that have not yet been imported, optionally add to end of current playlist but continue playing current track.
From RealPlayer 10:
  • Wizard for creating new auto-smartlists.
  • Ability to show Now Playing in a persistent pane while working in other playlists, etc.
  • Sticky window (always in front) for showing file tag info on the currently playing track (updated as track changes).
I find these all to be useful features I would like to see in MC 10.
From the desk of: wonmug

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Some good ideas from other players
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 12:26:33 am »

Thanks wonmug.

Click on tray icon to pause, restart.

Clicking on a tray icon almost always shows / hides a program.  However, we have a right-click menu there already with lots of handy stuff.

Show track info by mousing over tray icon.

Already there.

When double-clicking on files that have not yet been imported, optionally add to end of current playlist but continue playing current track.

In Explorer, with right-click you can "Play" and "Add to Playing Now".  Just use the latter.

Ability to show Now Playing in a persistent pane while working in other playlists, etc.

MC 10 > Action Window > Play Files

Sticky window (always in front) for showing file tag info on the currently playing track (updated as track changes).

We may allow switching of whether an AW should track the selected files or the playing file.

Thanks again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 01:33:18 am »

When double-clicking on files that have not yet been imported, optionally add to end of current playlist but continue playing current track.

In Explorer, with right-click you can "Play" and "Add to Playing Now".  Just use the latter.

Yes, I know about that; but I'm talking about a different situation. Suppose I were to download some MP3s from a Usenet group. From the list of files in my newsreader, I now want to add some to the MC playlist (current). But clicking on the file name in the newsreader immediately starts playing the newly added file, whereas in QCD I have the option to define this action as "add but keep playing current track." This is the option I would like in MC. In other words, I'm talking about files that are neither in MC nor in the Explorer (except in some obscure temporary file location), which I'm opening from a different application.

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 03:12:16 pm »

Show track info by mousing over tray icon.

Already there.

I just receive a tool-tip/balloon that says "Media Center"

Sticky window (always in front) for showing file tag info on the currently playing track (updated as track changes).

We may allow switching of whether an AW should track the selected files or the playing file.

Yes, Please.

Brian

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 11:03:14 am »

Is there a file currently in the 'Playing Now' ?
Mine shows the playing track with mouse-hover, unless there is nothing in the Playing Now window in which case it says nothing.

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 06:08:49 pm »

Is there a file currently in the 'Playing Now' ?
Mine shows the playing track with mouse-hover, unless there is nothing in the Playing Now window in which case it says nothing.

Just an update on my own experience. I was confused by this behavior of MC: The only way to get MC to show a tray icon is to select the "Minimize to tray" option. This is something I don't like to do, since I use Alt-Tab to switch among programs, and  minimizing to tray takes the program out of the Alt-Tab list. So my actual request is for an option to show an MC icon in the tray without also minimizing to tray (that is, the tray icon is alway shown even if Minimize to tray is not selected). The workaround for now is just not to minimize, of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up