INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MC keeps stealing associations...  (Read 9786 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
MC keeps stealing associations...
« on: January 13, 2004, 08:32:46 am »

Perhaps there is a way to control this but it keeps bugging me...

When I install MC it steals association for all kinds of video codecs that I dont want it too... When I set it to scan library I only set it to scan for audio formats and no video ones yet every time I install (and install betas) it keeps insisting it should control a hole host of file formats and I have to manually set them back...

Most other apps give you a set of tick boxes to change associations but MC seems to just assume I want it to be associated with video files and image files..

How do I stop this...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

nila

Re:MC keeps stealing associations...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 08:37:34 am »

YOU can set file associations in the Options Dialog :)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 06:45:24 pm »

How do you do that before install ??
HTPC Front ends  

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 07:18:02 pm »

Hmm... interesting.

The installer used to ask you what file associations you wanted. It doesn't seem to do this.

Kind of lends some credence to all of those claims that MC steals file associations. Now I feel like an idiot for refuting those claims.

When did this change?

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 08:39:50 pm »

I haven't had any problem with MC stealing any associations on my machine... are these files associated with anything else on your machine (I guess they are, but the only thing I can think of is it stealing 'untaken' associations).  Other than that I've got no idea :(

NB: I haven't done extensive testing, so this could be because I installed from 9.1 and just reinstalled over the top (up to 10.0.32 now)... though I think I've installed a v10 on another system and it didn't steal... though I could just have a faulty memory :)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 08:48:30 pm »

Yes I have MC associated only to audio...

WMV to WMP9

DVD to TheaterTek

All other video to Zoom Player

It seems to do it on each beta install as well which is mighty annoying... Of course I had not set associations in options before this so dont know if that will stop it...

Either way its not 'polite' to just grab everything without a question.
HTPC Front ends  

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 09:03:10 pm »

Hmm... weird, I haven't touched the associations in the options menu myself (though this may solve your problem) or -recall- changing any associations when I installed 9.1 (though I could be wrong, was there something about audio cds?)... and I don't change anything when I install the betas... just a standard install.  Yet nothing on my system is associated with MC... got audio associated with Winamp and movies with BSPlayer (I also use Zoomplayer, depending on my mood).  I feel no need to use associations to MC myself, since if I want to play a file in MC I'll just find it in MC :)

So it seems (with my system at least) that the default was to leave the associations as they were... though without testing I cannot confirm this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 09:05:53 pm »

PP,
I don't believe MC is grabbing everything without asking.

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 09:21:07 pm »

The only filetype I have associated with MC is Media Playlist (mpl), but once in awhile it steals back the Audio Playlist (m3u,pls,xpl,bpl) association. I haven't been able to figure out what causes it to do this, though.

Rob

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 11:02:41 pm »

Well not only has it stolen them once but it stole them again when I reloaded the MC10 beta on my main desktop...

Of course as this is an 'on install' issue its hard to see what happens on clean install as it is on all my machines...

Thinking about it tho... I just put it on a laptop... Yep all video files are linked to MC10 on that machine now...

I keep manually resetting them back and will report after the next time i load a new beta but it is happening and it is annoying... Perhaps changing the options will avoid this...

Also you do all get the install stage where is starts install and then flashes through what look like various install choices screens without waiting for any confirms... Perhaps that is linked to my problems.
HTPC Front ends  

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 11:14:39 pm »

I have to manually set them back...

Did you deselect the checkboxes from MC Options? I think if you have there something selected, next time you install MC it assumes you want them to be associated with MC.

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 03:05:09 pm »

You do get the option to do a custom install ('Custom' from the second screen you see... after accepting the licence)... this -shouldn't- skip any options as far as I know.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 04:57:32 pm »

You do get the option to do a custom install ('Custom' from the second screen you see... after accepting the licence)... this -shouldn't- skip any options as far as I know.

Actually, I think it's MIA from the last few builds.  I hadn't noticed it before, but I looked for it when I installed 10.0.35 and there was no associations page in the install wizard.  This was with a custom installation...

-John

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 02:19:03 am »

I should have said "shouldn't skip any options that are there" :)  I don't recall seeing an associations page either... just didn't want PhatPhreddy thinking he couldn't look at that stuff that flashed by :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 11:19:39 am »

you also need to check the scheduler because if you have that setup it will keep taking your associations.

it should be in the lower right corner
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 04:12:20 pm »

The first occasion I've had in a year or so on stealing associations was today.  I didn't look very carefuly at it, but for the first time ever, clicking on a .wmv file on a website went into MC.  It's pulled up WMP9 as I wanted it too every other time I've ever done it.

I installed the latest version yesterday.

And, yes, Doof is right... it doesn't give you the associations options in the install anymore.

Dan "da Man"

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 05:13:26 pm »

it doesn't give you the associations options in the install anymore

I thought it did, If you use "Custom Install"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 05:26:01 pm »

It doesn't ask you that anymore like it used to. I'm not sure when it stopped.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 07:14:26 pm »

And not to belabour a point but even that it too little... It should not require a custom install to stop MC taking control of associations... Default controls should offer this setup task.
HTPC Front ends  

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 12:43:52 pm »

And not to belabour a point but even that it too little... It should not require a custom install to stop MC taking control of associations... Default controls should offer this setup task.

I can't say that I agree with that. An express install, by it's very definition, means that you accept all of the default install options. That means location, icon creation, and file associations. If you want to customize your installation options, then you choose a custom install.

RemyJ

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2004, 01:11:27 pm »

I can't say that I agree with that. An express install, by it's very definition, means that you accept all of the default install options. That means location, icon creation, and file associations. If you want to customize your installation options, then you choose a custom install.

Yeah but...  If you've already installed once successfully and have modified your association options, should you have to keep using the custom install options to keep your associations (assuming it gets fixed) every time you upgrade for the rest of eternity?   Upgrading doesn't overwrite any other customizations.   Unlike locations and icon creation, associations aren't solely an install option.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2004, 02:38:55 pm »

From what I understand, in that case, the installer defaults to however you have it set in options.  I can't really comment if it's working that way, though, since I have MC associated with everything by choice.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2004, 03:09:37 pm »

10.0.38 again stole the .WMV.

In my opinion, WMP9 views streaming video better, or at least has a better interface.  So I like to keep it that way, if possible.  Are you listening, Matt and JimH?

Dan "da Man"

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 04:34:37 pm »

This was our error and should be fixed in the next build (42).  You will still need to set the file associations one more time with WMP and then the next time you install you won't need to.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2004, 09:43:22 am »

This was our error and should be fixed in the next build (42).  You will still need to set the file associations one more time with WMP and then the next time you install you won't need to.

Found my way over to this thread from the 10.0.42 beta discussion.  I've re-set all associations in WMP9, and removed _all_ associations in MC10, but internet streaming is still taken over by MC.  What's worse is that MC can not play the video stream I'm trying to access--it either errors out or does nothing.  Even if I wanted to use MC to view it, I can't.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 09:49:00 am »

Found my way over to this thread from the 10.0.42 beta discussion.  I've re-set all associations in WMP9, and removed _all_ associations in MC10, but internet streaming is still taken over by MC.  What's worse is that MC can not play the video stream I'm trying to access--it either errors out or does nothing.  Even if I wanted to use MC to view it, I can't.
What version of MC are you using?  Did you set the file associations AFTER you installed?  Are the types unchecked in MC's file associations?

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2004, 10:05:14 am »

Using MC10.0.42.  As I said, ALL associations in MC are UNCHECKED.  All associations in WMP9 are checked, for purposes of testing.  

I've been using Mediacenter since v9 first came out--never had any problem with MC taking over any associations until downloading v10 beta (I believe the first 10beta build I downloaded was .36.)  

As for when I set the associations, I've always had MC set ONLY for .mp3 and playlist file types, I never used it for anything else other than to manage my music collection.  I never changed anything when installing v10, and furthermore, actually disabled _every_ file association listed in MC10, but the behavior continues.

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2004, 10:07:16 am »

For the record:

In my 2+ years stint with using MJ/MC, installing beta after beta, hundreds by now I'm sure, I have never once come across MJ/MC stealing file associations. Not once, ever.

Yes, somewhere back there it stopped asking at install, but it still doesn't steal my files associations, not once.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2004, 10:07:59 am »

I realize that you said the file associations were set correctly, but I asked about the order in which it was done.

The problem should have been fixed in build 42.  

Did you reboot?

Try installing again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 10:09:58 am »

For the record:

In my 2+ years stint with using MJ/MC, installing beta after beta, hundreds by now I'm sure, I have never once come across MJ/MC stealing file associations. Not once, ever.

Yes, somewhere back there it stopped asking at install, but it still doesn't steal my files associations, not once.
True, but we made a change that had a side effect of causing this problem.  It happened in one of the recent 10.0 builds.  We're trying to correct it.  We don't want to set file associations in any way other than what you want.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2004, 10:13:21 am »

I've reinstalled and rebooted, same behavior.  I'll try it again...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 10:20:07 am »

I just checked this and it works as it should.

I set file associations for WM Video in MC to off.
I set file associations for WM Video in WMP to on.
I then checked in Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/Files for WMV association and it said it opens WMV "Windows Media Player"
I then played a WMV file from Windows Explorer.  It opened WMP and played it.

Try going to MC Help and system info and then pasting it here.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 10:26:51 am »

OK, reinstalled and rebooted once more.  The good news is that the audio stream now at least plays in MC10--before it would hang or error out.  Video stream still tries to open in MC10, but will not play.  And regardless, neither will open in WMP, which is what I want.

I've checked a number of sites that I frequent for internet radio, and am having the same results everywhere, so it doesn't appear to be an isolated instance...

Thanks for your quick responses... hopefully a solution can be found soon.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2004, 10:33:45 am »

Jim,
I've already got everything turned off in MC10, and everything on in WMP9.  I also checked the associations in Windows Explorer, and it shows (properly) that WMV is associated with WMP (it also shows WMA and every WMP type properly associated.)

I don't have any WMV files downloaded to test that on, but when I select MP3s on my hard drive, they open in WMP with no problem.  

As soon as I try to stream any WMP audio or video, though, it will not open in WMP... it keeps going back to MC10.  Mind you, when I open the tools>options menu in MC, everything is still uncheck (except for .MPL playlists, which is automatically checked every time I open the menu.)

Here is a paste from the Help>System Info tab:

Media Center Registered 10.0.42 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2425 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 225 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive L:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive M:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive N:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive O:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive M: TDK      CDRW4800B          Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2004, 10:34:35 am »

Can you post a link that doesn't work?  Maybe other people could try it.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2004, 10:38:59 am »

I was going to post a link earlier, but it's a paid subscription site, and I don't think there is any free audio or video.  www.glennbeck.com.  I rely on the web subscription since the show is only partially aired in my market...

There is link for WMP audio on the homepage of the site, the link for webcam is behind the login page.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2004, 10:48:34 am »

Can you give an example that doesn't require a signup?

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2004, 10:57:27 am »

Not one that I know of.  There are only two subscriptions I pay for on the web: both are radio brodcasts, and both are behaving this way, and both only since installing MC10.  

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2004, 11:03:35 am »

Both sites' links to audio webcast end in:
type=windows_live

Such as:
http://www.premiereinteractive.com/cgi-bin/members.cgi?stream=live&site=glennbeck&type=win_videoHI_live

or

http://www.premiereinteractive.com/cgi-bin/members.cgi?stream=live&site=glennbeck&type=windows_live

I don't know web programming or CGI scripting, so the technical stuff is over my head.  But perhaps that can help you identify the association problem.  Barring that, maybe the webmaster could help you identify the problem?

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2004, 12:53:01 pm »

Jim,

Will there be a way to fix this?  Thanks.

(I've installed 10.0.43--problem still exists.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2004, 01:10:52 pm »

Mark,
I'm not sure what you're seeing is the same problem or not.

Can anyone else duplicate this problem with build 43 or higher?

Install the build, set the file associations the way you want MC and the other application (WMP, for example).  Subsequent installations should not affect file associations.

Omni

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2004, 01:30:30 pm »

I can confirm the opposite.  ;D

With v.10.0.43, the problem with MC silently stealing WMA streams went away.  (I know above it was stated that the problem was fixed in v.10.0.42, and I'll accept that.  My previous version was v.10.0.38.)

Steps I Took:

First, I opened up WMP9, and then I toggled off then back on an association (to register as a "change" that could be "applied").

I closed WMP9.

I launched the MC v.10.0.43 installer and did the "express" setup likeI always do.

I closed MC.

In my broswer, I launched a WMA stream, and by George, WMP9 popped up like it used to.  In other words, MC was no longer setting itself as the default player.

Omni

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2004, 07:53:10 pm »

It's still there, Jim.  I've re-installed 10.0.43 yet again, after setting _every_ file association in WMP to default to WMP, and _de-selecting_ every association in MC.  From what I've seen, a normal WMA or WMV stream will go to WMP.  Both sites where I pay for content, however, automatically will open up in MC.    The problem isn't in setting the associations--I've got 100% selected in WMP and no associations checked in MC.  I've even cleaned up the registry between uninstalling and re-installing MC... and I've followed the exact procedure Omni described above.  

Again, it seems that most WMA and WMV will open up in WMP.  But my PAID content isn't working properly...

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2004, 11:14:34 am »

Not that anybody else is following this issue  ;)  but I just wanted to post that the problem has disappeared since installing 10.0.49.  Streams are working properly now.

I haven't seen a post from you here for a few days, Jim, so I don't know if you fixed something or if perhaps some minor glitch self-corrected on subsequent builds... but it seems fine with .49 and now .50.

Thanks!
-Mark

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
Re: MC keeps stealing associations...
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2005, 08:40:14 am »

I just want to point out that one year later this issue appears to still exist...

I just installed 10.0.173 in a laptop containing a fresh install on 98SE (its only a 233 libretto sub note).. Installed MC10 and during installation the association screen jumps past without being able to exert user contaol.

I could not see exactly which checkboxes were highlighted to associate (it flashes by fast) but there were some.

Sure looks like on a clean install MC10 still steal associations without asking.
HTPC Front ends  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2005, 08:42:12 am »

Sounds like you may have it set to autoinstall after 30 seconds.  Or you're not choosing the "advanced" option.  Try installing again and looking carefully at each option.

MC doesn't steal file associations.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2005, 09:09:12 am »

If I do a clean install of XP then install MC in Express mode, all types of files are associated with MC. As it should.

I do a custom install, and when first run, I have the chance to select the types of files to search for. This seems to set the associated file types.

After this 'clean-clean' install, I am able to install new versions of MC in express mode with no change to my file associations.

I do however occasionally see context menu items from MC in my right click menus. I never have selected that option. I can't reproduce this on demand, but it happens. Then, sometime later, the context menu items are gone again. Not a big deal as long as it is only a few and only occasionally. But odd.

Anyway, for things like this, it might be nice to be able to export settings for posting. I'd like to be able to see people's settings. I think that sometimes when trying to explain "set this and set that" it would be easier to post settings than to say "Click here check this box, etc".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2005, 09:12:41 am »

I do however occasionally see context menu items from MC in my right click menus.
You can uncheck the option for "shell integration" if you don't want that.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2005, 09:14:39 am »

Not advanced.. Normal default install...

What seems wierd is that on install there are perhaps 3 pages of options that all flash by without user interaction... Its on one of these pages that you dont have access to that assosiations are set..

I will dig on the little 98SE box and see which ones MC10 grabbed but it claimed to be associating some.. There is no media on this machine yet (I am hopping over to HK for a few days and a sub note is handy) its basically OS + web browser + email + AV + antispyware / anti trojan + MC10 so I need to check but it CLAIMED to be setting some... 

HTPC Front ends  

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2005, 09:17:22 am »

Without wanting to be cruel thats what was said last time :p !!

Not advanced.. Normal default install...

What seems wierd is that on install there are perhaps 3 pages of options that all flash by without user interaction... Its on one of these pages that you dont have access to that assosiations are set..

Nor do I wish to be rude. But you keep insisting that an 'express' install should pause and ask for options.

That wouldn't be very 'express', would it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up