INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100% CPU usage even as Admin account  (Read 1560 times)

Couch_Potatoe

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
100% CPU usage even as Admin account
« on: January 18, 2004, 11:47:49 am »

I have just upgraded to v 316 and also added a large directory to the library which now contains some 50K entries. I am running from an admin account on XP (Home) and have 512K Ram on a 2.6Ghz machine with very little else running. In various (most) scenarios MediaPlayer is suddenly going to 100% CPU and has to be forcibly terminated.

I read the post re admin accounts , and this is one, and I have also used run as.. to run the application in another Admin account. I have applied the SetBurningRights patch for all users. I am not seeing related entries in the admin system events log I don't think although there are  a few things going on there that I am not sure of (informational)and anonymous user logins/outs.

If for example I start MC9 and then right click 'play' an mp3 track title it will play fine.CPU goes to 100% but drops back to about 5% after a few secs. If I double click an mp3 track title then it plays still but now cpu at 100% and no way out.

Any ideas ??

Chris

Couch_Potatoe

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:100% CPU usage even as Admin account
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 06:46:57 pm »

A bit more info - I upgraded to version 10 and I still have the same problem - so I tried installing MediaCentre10 on a different PC and imported the same library and it works fine -so the issue is local to my main server (and I need to fix it).
One thing I noticed is that the install for 10 forced a restart and then complained that one of the ms script dll's failed to install - presumably because the file was already locked. I know I have a service that uses this file as I got the same error on the second install, disabled the service and it installed fine. Could this be the problem perhaps ?? Any pointers to which file this is ? (I cant remember) - should I just run the install again ?

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 08:33:40 pm »

Try a complete uninstall, remove C:\Program Files\J River\*, reboot, then re-install...
Cheers
Rob

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 08:36:38 pm »

Not sure about the dll, but are there any visualizations running?  They're usually the first thing I look at when I see a lot of CPU being used when playing.  
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Couch_Potatoe

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 07:02:57 am »

Hi - thanks for replies - no visualisations running at all though.  Another discovery that now points me to a database problem or back to a MC9 issue. This is a big database 50K entries

I couldn't get my MusicLobby plugin working with the version 10 beta I installed on the >NEW< machine (the one that worked not the original) so I had to downgrade to version 9.1.316 again. Uninstalled v10 - reinstalled V9 and rebuilt the music database - now I have the same problem as the other original machine. If I right click and play a song it works fine - if I double click then I get 100% CPU and a lockout scenario. So this is reproduceable now on two different machines, not sure if it's my DB though or what.

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 07:19:32 am »

What options do you have ticked on each machine for 'double click behaviour'?  I think it's under Tools>Options>General.

Couch_Potatoe

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 10:21:49 am »

I have the default for a new install which seems to be 'Replace Playing Now (all)' - and in playing now I would either have nothing or just one track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up