INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What I'd Like To See In MC's Camera Wizard  (Read 1917 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
What I'd Like To See In MC's Camera Wizard
« on: January 21, 2004, 04:50:19 pm »

I don't use this feature in MC currently because it's just not flexible enough to do what I want. Plus there's a couple of areas that just don't behave logically.

First, what I'd like to see it do:

1. Add MC to the list of apps when I press the connect button on my docking station. Currently I can only choose from the MS Scanner and Camera Wizard, and a few things from Adobe. If MC could be added to this list (and thus allow me to set it as the default app) this would be ideal.

2. When importing, give me some options about an Album name. Use this Album name as the subfolder of the Destination Path. So if my Destination Path is C:\Pictures and the Album name is "Christmas 2003", then the folder the pictures get copied into is C:\Pictures\Christmas 2003\. Ideally, I'd like an option to automatically create an Album name based on the date the pictures were taken, in the format of YYYY-MM-DD.

3. Allow me to specify a name based on file data that's available. I realize I can't specify a filename of [Genre] - [Artist] - [Track #], since I haven't assigned any of that information, but I should be able to use [Date (filename friendly)] or [Height], etc. Basically anything that is aquired from the camera itself (although all I'm honestly interested in is Date (filename friendly).

And now for the things that just don't seem to work the way you'd expect.

1. Rather than see a dialog box that says "Transfer to Client", it would be nice to see a dialog box displaying two progress bars. One that shows the progress of the current image, and the other that shows total progress.

2. On this same dialog box, display the name that the image is being imported as, the path it's being saved to, and ideally, a thumbnail of the image.

3. It would also be nice if we had an option to always show the Transfer Options when we click the Aquire button.

Thanks, guys. :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re:What I'd Like To See In MC's Camera Wizard
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 05:15:12 pm »

Oh, and one more thing. MC refuses to import video files directly from my camera. If I import them from another app or copy them directly to my hard drive, MC can then import and play them, but it won't import direct from the camera.

They're saved in .MOV format.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 05:53:50 pm »

Hi Doof,
Thanks for the ideas.  I agree with some of the suggestions.

I can import movies.  I use mpg though.  Check the filetypes that are set in the options part of the Acquire Images.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 08:01:42 pm »

I have and it only lists .jpg and .mpg. I've tried adding .mov but then MC does nothing with those files when I hit Aquire.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 09:16:46 pm »

All of the above, but could you please add a separate image option for directory and filename rules when renaming files from properties - thanks

Jim

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 10:05:23 pm »

All of the above, but could you please add a separate image option for directory and filename rules when renaming files from properties - thanks

Jim

I thought my original post stated this, but if not, this is exactly what I want. Basically, some sort of Rename File From Properties, but at Aquire time. Or like the CD Ripping options where we can specify File Naming conventions for folders and files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 10:31:07 pm »

Sounds like a bug.  We'll take a look.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 11:59:25 am »

Hi Doof,

I completely second your proposals on better features in the image acquisition section of MC. Especially on the renaming of directory/filenames in the exact same fashion as it is possible for audio files (using templates). Althought it is true that for photographs, date information is one of the more important.

i.e.: exemple of my photo naming scheme (done using another image aquisition package) :
.../200212/2002-1225--xmas_party/2002-1225-0015--santa claus.jpg

thanks and have a good day,

C.

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: What I'd Like To See In MC's Camera Wizard
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:53:04 am »

Just found this post from over 2 years ago, and figured it couldn't hurt to bump it in hopes of seeing some of these...

Although honestly, the way I've been using MC with my images lately, the only items I still care about are 1 & 3.

But I'd like to add to the list the ability to see the pictures on the camera and select the ones we want to aquire.

Basically, a total replacement for the MS Scanner and Camera Wizard, only integrated directly into MC.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
Re: What I'd Like To See In MC's Camera Wizard
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 01:44:11 pm »

Doof, I'm so glad you bumped up this old thread, b/c like you, I dont use the camera wizard (and opt for my Canon import program) b/c MC's wizard is not user friendly/customizable to my sorting preferences.

I use (YYYY_MM_DD) for my scheme.

Hopefully the camera wizard gets an overhaul soon so I can finally delete the canon bundled programs!

Thanks for any progress on this issue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up