INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Column sorting  (Read 1010 times)

V-Man

Column sorting
« on: February 24, 2004, 08:39:32 am »

Firstly, MC10 is shaping up great. I find though that the column sorting at present is counter-intuitive.

At present, if you click a column header, the list is sorted on that column, and the header is marked with a "1". If you subsequently click on another header, it is marked "2" and so on.

This at first seems sensible, but I find it makes me have to first think exactly how I want the sorting to happen and work out in which order to click the headers. I'm always making mistakes, and have to remove the sorting and start over.

I propose that a more intuitive mechanism would be to make the last-clicked item the primary sort column (ie "1") and to increment the sort level of each previously clicked column.

Dammit, this is hard to explain!

Suppose initially there is no sorting defined.

I click the Name column, it gets sorted and marked "1".

Now I click Artist. What I want to see (ie what I *think* I should see) is the list sorted (ie grouped) by Artist, and then within each group, sorted by Name. This implies Artist should be the new "1" and Name should become "2".

Suppose I click Genre, now I would expect Genre="1", Artist="2", Name="3".

Currently, MC does the reverse. I think "my way" is more like Windows Explorer works (except that Explorer doesn't visually number its columns).

I would really like to see this changed please. As a bonus, it would be handy if double-clicking a column had the effect of marking it as "1" and clearing the sorting from all other columns.

Hope it's not just me!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Column sorting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 08:44:44 am »

Hold shift down while clicking headers if you don't want to think in reverse.

Otherwise use the "Customize Current View" dialog.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

V-Man

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 09:12:10 am »

Thanks for the tip Matt.

Probably being cheeky now but, any chance that the default behaviour might be changed or made an option?

And I like the idea of the Customize dialog, just that I don't think it's as easy to use as it could be - too much mouse movement required to scroll the field list, locate the check box, click, shuffle items with Up/Down etc. I would personally prefer a more conventional two-list approach similar to the IE Customize Toolbar dialog.

But I don't see myself using it too heavily, so consider it more a suggestion for improvement rather than a user request.

Thanks for listening.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 09:19:35 am »

We're not making any changes that aren't necessary right now, so the soonest we _might_ take a look at this is in a few months when we're working on the next version.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 10:00:05 am »

Probably being cheeky now but, any chance that the default behaviour might be changed or made an option?

Probably not.  It'd be confusing to click 'Genre' only to have it still sorted by 'Artist.'  I've never seen a program work like that.

At one point we tried to work it off the timing of the clicks, but that seemed to confuse people even worse.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up