INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why don't you warn buyers about version 10 being available?  (Read 1457 times)

lrowland

Why don't you warn buyers about version 10 being available?
« on: February 29, 2004, 12:55:59 pm »

I just bought MC 9.1 for $39.98.  No where on the download or purchase page does it mention version 10.
Then I looked in the forums and I saw version 10 was avaiable for the same $39.98 price.  But since I purchased version 9.1 I have to pay more now to get version 10 - if I had known version 10 was available I would have just bought that to start with.

This seems very underhanded of you.  How can I change the license to version 10 since I just bought 9.1 today?  Paying an additonal $9.99 to get version 10 is wrong since I could have just bought version 10 for the same price.

I hoped to do some plug-in development to integrate Media Center with Cinemar's MainLobby and Homeseer.  I would have to think twice about doing that if your company is intentionally getting people to buy version9.1 without telling them version 10 is available for the same price.  It seems like you are just trying to get more money unfairly - I'm sure this is not the image you want for your company.

Please help.

Larry Rowland
Baltimore, MD

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Why don't you warn buyers about version 10 being available?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 01:19:40 pm »

Why don't you warn buyers about version 10 being available?

Beta Versions Are Released In The Forum For Beta Testers.

A Discount Is Normaly Anounced To Beta testers in The Forum, When MC10 Is Released To The Public\Non Beta Testers. A Message Will Be Mailed To All Users Who Signed Up For Updates Of New Releases.

If You Wish To beta Test MC11 Maybe In A Few Months J River Will offer It Again At A Discouned Upgrade Price.

This seems very underhanded of you.

Thats A Bit Strong, And It Was Anounced Months Ago In The Forum.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lrowland

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 01:38:57 pm »

Why would anyone not buy Media Center 10 now even if it is in Beta.  You can still use 9.1 until 10 is officially released.  It seems pointless to have 10 be available at the same price as 9.1.

When I found the website, I had no idea that version 10 was even available for purchase - heck, there was no mention of it existing.  Now an hour later, I find out I could have, should have bought version 10 to start with and helped Beta test it.  Instead I'll be stuck forking over another $19.98 (I just found out it was no longer $9.99!).  How is this NOT underhanded?

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 01:47:55 pm »

I'm sure it's not underhand or intentional.  Few companies make beta versions available for general download.  However, as JRiver DO make their beta version available for general release I think they should take note of this feedback and mention it, albeit it with a suitable caveat, on the main download page.  

They spend a lot of time of time and effort on this forum and I guess that it's easy to forget that not all of their customers visit it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 01:55:34 pm »

the discount as they said is offered to beta testers who visit the forum, and help beta test and report bugs.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 02:47:20 pm »

The guy's not after a discount. He just paid $40 for 9.1 without realising that he could have paid the same for a more feature rich version.  All it needed was a message on the download page inviting the more adventurous customers to take part in the beta testing.  

This would also serve to encourage newbies to take part in Interact and provide valuable feedback.  In fact, lrowland just provided some useful 'first impressions' feedback.  Many companies pay for this.  lrowland gave it for free.

Welcome to the forum lrowland, and sorry about the dodgy start.  I'm sure you'll find this place and the support offered here will more than compensate.  Not to mention the great software you just purchased.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 03:54:33 pm »

We don't publicize a new version until it's released.  I'm sorry you feel like it's unethical, but we used to do it the other way and we had people telling us it was unethical to sell beta software.

So it seems that, no matter how we do it, someone is still unhappy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up