INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check for updates  (Read 9979 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re:Check for updates
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2004, 10:29:17 am »

So, what would work?  Default to "check every x days" but allow a user to turn checking off?  Lengthen the time period to 14 o4 21 days?
Anyone object to doing it this way?  If not, we'll change it in the next build.

Sounds good to me.
As long as you are revisiting this, it would be nice to know what an update does (fixes, adds) if an update is found. Seeing 'Update available' with no info is not useful. At least a link to an info page would be nice.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2004, 10:36:54 am »

So, are we (the paid users / independent of the "Big Deal" customer target base) locked into the terms & conditions of this "Big Deal"?

Are we forced to become targets of this "Big Deal's" marketing?

Are we going to be limited to only the "Big Deal" version of Media Center, or will there be an independent version for paying customers who wish NOT to be involved or affected by the "Big Deal"?

Please let us know this, because if this is the case it will definately affect my choice of media software as we move forward.  I do NOT wish to be involved in using software that links me with any type of music service (etc) without my consent.  In the meantime, my firewall will suffice.
All your base are belong to us.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2004, 11:35:55 am »

I just read this whole thing.

WOW!

I really couldn't care less, however, I would prefer to not have anyone force me to do anything, so your solution sounds great to me.  As long as I can turn it off.  Although, I probably won't.  I love choice.

Jim, can I buy you a drink?
pretend this is something funny

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2004, 11:49:25 am »

I don't let any programs make Internet connection without my permission. So when a program calls home or anywhere else and my firewall asks if it's OK, the answer is no. If that connection is needed later, I must restart first to make my firewall ask again.

I really don't like the idea about Media Center & firewall asking permission to connect Internet when I am in between something else. There are already enough annoyances with other software products.

Actually, I have not seen any information about how this check is going to take place. Only when starting MC or also when MC is already running or how?

Besides, there are others in my household too. They can use MC while I'm away, but they are not allowed to install any software.

I'd like to vote yes for "Off". It doesn't have to be too obvious. It could be hidden behind some advanced options tab. Just to keep expert users happy.  :)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

edbro

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2004, 11:51:45 am »

I thought this was a semi-dead issue. Jim H has already said it will be changed in the next build.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2004, 11:53:22 am »

Jim, can I buy you a drink?
;D Thanks.  I could use one.

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2004, 12:55:49 pm »

...since few months they try so much to hyde things that look like large part of the trust people had is evaporate.
We don't have a choice about what we show and what we hide.  We have signed agreements that prevent us from disclosing what we're working on or even talking about.

Please try to understand that.  

not that i want to sound jealous but... We (the customers) > Your 'partners'

i'm glad you are offering us the option to turn this off.

could you please elaborate on these rumours of MC 'phoning home'? I makes me worried that a hell of a lot of stuff is going on in the background to a product we are supposed to be beta testing.
Surely making us install a whole load of code that we don't even know is there or what it does is something only trojans and malware does? please tell me your respect for your customers stretches at least so far as to only be installing things on their computer that they are conscious and aware of?
Welcome to flipmode

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2004, 01:00:07 pm »

As is blocking the redirector's address at the firewall.
when was the last time you went to file->library->update library, ticked "remove files which no longer exist and pressed OK? you should try it. there are other times this happens too.
I used to have a nice, local, custom start page configured here and I miss that too.
All these things are a matter of personal choice, and given the choice, I'd choose my custom start page every time over having MC call home whenever "start" is selected in the tree.
If you're happy, then I am happy for you.
For me, the "phone home" start pages are only a minor annoyance. I can live with the hassle of controlling my internet gateway, it would just be nice to have a tick box in the options that made the job easier. The end result is, after all, exactly the same. (ie. when I land on start here, I don't see the start page)

-marko.

So a hassid comes to his rabbi and says: "Rabbi, I have a wife and six small children, and we all live together in this one room - it's very small, and always noisy. It's awful. What can I do?"

The rabbi asked: "Do you have a goat?" "Yes", the hassid replied. "Very well", said the rabbi. "Now have the goat live with you in the room, and come back after a week".

The hassid did that, and after a week he comes to his rabbi crying. "It's impossibly crammed, it's smelly, and the noise! Oh! Please, Rabbi, help me!" "Very well", said the rabbi. "You can take the goat out now".

After a week the hasid comes back to the rabbi to thank him: "Now we have so much room, it's unbelievable!".

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2004, 01:03:45 pm »

So who is the goat?  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2004, 01:05:23 pm »

This feels like a twilight zone episode.

MC shows webpages sometimes.  If you consider viewing a webpage hosted by JRiver "phoning home", the world must be a scary place for you.  Viewing Interact (or any other webpage) would be "phoning home" by that same logic.

The good news for the less paranoid is that we don't collect usage information.  We're too busy building software to care that King listens to Bananarama 18 hours a day :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2004, 01:37:59 pm »

The good news for the less paranoid is that we don't collect usage information.  We're too busy building software to care that King listens to Bananarama 18 hours a day :P

Eheh, I thought he was listening to David Hasselhoff 24/7... Guess i was wrong :P

zevele10

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2004, 01:48:01 pm »

Name of the rabbi-You have it?

It is cruality to animals ....

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2004, 01:52:21 pm »

This feels like a twilight zone episode.

With great software, comes great passion. (apparently)

Many of us came to you guys because the other options (musicmatch. real, etc.) have all gone down the slippery slope that this issue represents.

If I may be so bold as to attempt to speak for some of the others here:
It scares the hell out of us that MC would be heading down the same path.  

Agreed, as implemented, it was a small issue, but it heads in a direction that is very scary.

Also, it sounds like you have a problem with bananarama?  How could this be?  Those summers are cruel you know.

TimB

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2004, 03:25:56 pm »

Agreed, as implemented, it was a small issue, but it heads in a direction that is very scary.
Understood on your concerns and your post however we agree that Jim/JRiver have come up with a solution that's fine right?

Its the piling on after a reasonable resolution is stated that drives me a little crazy. :)

(Matt please feel free to check on how many times I listen to Bananarama.  Some (not all) of this privacy stuff is a little over-the-top IMHO, I could care less who knows what music I listen to, programs I run or photos I've take, they're boring, trust me on this!)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

TimB

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2004, 03:53:44 pm »

mc has stated they are not doing this so that is fine but in general alot of companies are and it is costing us bandwidth space and money to get and see stuff we do not want to.
I hear you and partly agree.  :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2004, 03:54:43 pm »

Dear JRiver.

I want to hearby officially thank and congratulate you with the very good solution you have chosen for a certain problem that recently arose. The swiftness and willingness to find a solution that will work for you customers as well as yourself and your partners speaks volumes of a way of thinking that really should be more prevalent in the business world, and especially in the software business.

Sincerely Mad Dog Mastiff  ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2004, 04:00:00 pm »

Dear Dog,
Arf you very much.

J. Woofer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up