INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Blaster Live 5.1  (Read 4714 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
« on: April 15, 2004, 08:31:15 pm »

Just wanted to let you know that I upgraded my system from an old Hercules MuseXL 3D to a Sound Blaster Live 5.1

What I think so far:
- Much better overall sound quality. The oversampling does marvels. Sound is rich and Warm.
- Instantaneous DirectX tweaking. With Muse XL, i had to wait a few seconds to hear the difference. i.e. EQ and surround effects... It sucked. Now it's real fast. :)
- Shitty setup interface. I hate all the softwares that come with creative sound cards. They all look like nuts. (Xcuse my French...)

That's it for now. But for $30 it's well worth the upgrade.

PS: I use a 5.1 creative speaker on which i replaced the front speakers with bigger/better Aiwa I've had for around 10 years. They sound really nice.

-Cascius

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Sound Blaster Live 5.1
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 07:07:30 pm »

Sound Blaster Live 5.1

I had one a few years ago, I Currently Have A SB Audigy I can't hear any big dif

I also have better suround sound 5.1 speakers.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 07:12:53 pm »

Well, I've been using it for over 24 hours now and I have no problems with it. It's a cheap card, granted, but does a very clean job. I was hesitating between that one and a turtle beach... Didn't know how to chose as the specs of the turtle beach specified on the box were very limited. Another stupid packaging showing how to connect different type of speakers to it but lacking to demonstrate the capacity of the card... Stupid.

Anyway, I just got myself a sweet little 21 inch CRT monitor. What a difference with my crappy old 17inch! I love it.

-Cascius

Johann2

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 10:10:36 am »

Hi: I have had several Turtle Beach cards including a quad card and none of them have ever compared to the SB Live 5.1

Just an opinion!

Private debate?
johann2_2@yahoo.ca

PS: I found an old pair of stereo speakers 8 ohm, in the garbage, Removed the mid range and tweeters, installed resisters accordingly and mounted them into a cardboard box,  put them behind my Computer desk as a surround sound system along with my SonLab CS-SW2 all wood Sub woofer and Satellite speakers connected to the SB 5.1
(My Sub Woofer has an out port for surround system.)
All I can say is WOW. Love the surround sound and equalizer features of the card.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 02:58:04 pm »

Yeah, I highly recommend the following method to get a cheap "descent" surround sound system:

- 5.1 surround card (doh!) $30-$40
- buy a 5.1 creative sound system $75 or so

If you have some old but still descent speakers laying around the house, replace the creative front and rear speakers with those. I used some 3-ways Aiwa speakers I've had for about 10 years... And they do sound pretty darn good right now. They give a much cleaner/crisp sound than the not so good creativelab speakers.

While this is not my dream setup at all, lmao, it does quite a great job for the time being and really made my music and dvd listening much more enjoyable.

-Cascius

HASAN99

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 02:55:15 am »

Sound Blaster Live 5.1

I had one a few years ago, I Currently Have A SB Audigy I can't hear any big dif

I also have better suround sound 5.1 speakers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up