INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About to build a HTPC...  (Read 4617 times)

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
About to build a HTPC...
« on: April 21, 2004, 01:37:54 am »

As the title says, I am about to build my HTPC, or more accurately, I will begin ordering parts soon.

Currently, I am considering different routes as far as case/motherboard.  Here, I see two possibilities:  Micro-ATX, or Mini-ITX.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.  Mini-ITX is tightly integrated and includes TV out and native Mpeg2 support and an integrated CPU (1.2 Ghz max currently).  Micro-ATX, depending on the manufacturer, can have on board Dolby Digital and can support just about any CPU you want to put into it.

For cases, I want something that will blend into my other hi-fi components.  Something like what they sell here:  http://www.atechfabrication.com/HTPC.htm .  But not necessarily those, and it doesn't necessarily need a LED display.  Preferrably, not too terribly expensive.

Wireless networking is a must.

I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 and a 250 GB hard drive ready to go for it.

Noise is also a concern, but I don't think it will be too much of an issue as there are plenty of silent fans/power supplies out there.

Does anyone that has built one, or that has done some research into building one have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re:About to build a HTPC...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 02:39:02 pm »

paul,

I bought a Cooler Master case a few months ago, then propptly decided to sell everything, so I've never actually used this case.  It is sitting in my office waiting for me to get off my a** and sell it.  Cooler Master made 2 cases nearly identical, one was all Aluminum (the one I have), and the other was only an aluminum front, and steel case.  That one can be seen here...

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/atc620.html
pretend this is something funny

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 05:40:28 pm »

Justin,

That's a nice looking case!  Yours is black?

I am going to do a little more research into Mini-ITX vs. Micro ATX...  but if I decide to go with ATX, then I'd probably be willing to take that off your hands, if you are looking to sell it.

Right now, I think I am leaning towards Micro ATX...

I'll send you a private message in a couple of days...

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 12:51:08 pm »

Yep, black, looks just like the one in the link.

I'd be happy to sell it, but no pressure, make sure you get the right one for your needs.  If this is it, great, if not, that's cool too.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 10:13:17 pm »

those atech ones are sooooo cool, but basically 2x the cost of any other htpc cases out there

heres a couple of links (there a many others, just google "htpc case"):

http://www.pcalchemy.com/
http://www.directpc.ca/home-multimedia-pc.ref

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 02:54:44 am »

Justin, you have a message from me. :)

Pip:  Wow!  When I first linked that case, if I recall correctly, they had no prices on their website.  Yea, it is a sweet case, but after taking a gander at that price tag...

Thanks for the links.  I had seen the Silverstone's before and liked them.  The Ahanix's are nice too.

But, after looking at all the models, I think the one Justin has will blend in perfectly with my system - all of my components, except for my DVD changer, have a very minimalistic appearance.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 09:55:11 am »

paulr,

you have a reply,

Thanks

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 08:21:21 am »

Don't know how much of an issue price is, but this company has some nice offerings:
http://www.hushtechnologies.com/

Additionally, you might check out AVSForums to see about HTPC advice:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=26

bebop

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 11:54:45 pm »

Paulr, have you heard much about the liquid cooled systems?  There was a short write up about them in our local paper, but didn't give any links.  Are they actually available or just in development? How's your system coming along?  Bet

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 02:55:52 pm »

Actually, I use a water cooled system in my "regular" computer.  It's extremely quiet (except for my power supply fan, which I need to change).  I had been using one (forgot who made it) for a couple of years, but it was extremely noisy (inefficient heat exchanger and huge fans) and it was a do-it-yourself system that required some case mods...  I wouldn't recommend that kind unless you know what you are doing.

The one I have now is a Koolance (here's a link to the model I have: http://www.koolance.com/products/product.html?code=CCS-A04&category_id=2 ).  It came, case and cooling system, all put together.  The only thing I had to do was install the motherboard and CPU, cut some tubing, attach the tubing to the heatsink, grease the heatsink and install it on my CPU... and add the coolant (which it came with).  They have options for cooling video cards and hard drives that connect to the same system.  My only complaint with this case is that it doesn't have USB ports on the front.

You do have to be very careful when working with this kind of system though.  Leak checking is an absolute must before connecting power to the motherboard.  They supply a jumper that you put on the power supply that allows the water pump to run (without supplying power to everything else).

The unit I have has a temperature sensor and fan controller that will increase the speed (and the noise) of the cooling fans if the CPU starts to get hot, but under normal use, it rarely happens.

Either Koolance or Coolermaster (or maybe both) have a stand alone unit you can add to your existing computer that looks interesting (you run the tubing through an available expansion slot cover).  I may, if needed, get one of these for my HTPC.  But...

My HTPC is currently on hold.  I may be moving to a new job soon and I don't want to get into ordering parts until I know what is happening for sure.  I'll be sure, though, to post my experiences when I do get around to building it.  :)

bebop

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 04:19:14 pm »

Good luck on the new job  :)  Will be looking forward to reading about how your HTPC is coming along and thanks for the info on these liquid cooled systems.  I was wondering about that leakage problem.  Have a prob getting my head around electronics + H2O!

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 04:50:34 pm »

Good luck on the new job

Thanks!  :)

Just to be clear, it is not difficult to set up.  The unit came with some clamps that are pretty good and I never had a leak.  But, considering you are mixing water with electronics, it's always good to be sure!

Also, with the newer systems, there isn't any bleeding that needs to be done.  The reservoir has a small pocket of air by design which allows any trapped bubbles to work their way out of the flow.  My old system was terrible - you had to manually bleed all the air out of the system from time to time.  Ugh...  Just thinking about it makes me cringe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up