INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAC Streaming Problem  (Read 1816 times)

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
AAC Streaming Problem
« on: April 29, 2004, 09:24:09 am »

I "bought" my first iTunes track yesterday. It was the free Foo Fighters track that Apple gave out yesterday.

It plays back fine in Media Center (10.0.125). However, when I attempt to stream it using Media Server to the computer in my office, the following happens.

Double-clicking track opens up a dialog, "QuickTime Internet Authentication. Enter username for Media Server at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:"

If I enter my Apple iTunes login, it is not accepted and the dialog appears again. If I enter my Media Server login, it crashes with:

AppName: media jukebox.exe    AppVer: 10.0.125.0    ModName: playbackeng.dll
ModVer: 10.0.102.0    Offset: 0002ed9a

I've got iTunes 4.5 installed on both my home and office PC's (if that makes a difference). My office PC (the one that crashed) is configured as follows:

Media Center Registered 10.0.125 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 855 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 353 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1348 (xpsp2.040109-1800) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive R:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive S:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive X:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive S: SONY     CD-RW  CRX140E     Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
Re:AAC Streaming Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:20:33 am »

Can anybody tell me if you are able to successfully stream an iTunes ACC file using Media Server?

Thanks!

hans-jürgen

• Recent member
  • "128 kbps should be enough for everyone..."
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 02:53:50 am »

Can anybody tell me if you are able to successfully stream an iTunes ACC file using Media Server?

The problem may be that your "free" iTunes song uses the normal DRM copy protection nevertheless called "Fairplay". This prevents to play a *.m4p file from the music store on any other PC/Mac than the one which downloaded it, because it uses an encrypted key that refers to the individual machine.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues."

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 06:43:02 am »

I wonder then... can I bring one of the songs to my office, authorize the machine so that it is allowed to play my music?

Either way, I would think that Media Center shouldn't crash after asking you to log in.

Thanks for your response.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 10:08:33 am »

Sikes,

I purchased a protected AAC file with iTunes, started Media Server and went to another PC and tried to play it. MC took me to iTunes to enter my login and password and then after doing this played the file without problem. Based on this, I think this should work. Perhaps try again with a purchased file.

Steve

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 05:23:35 pm »

Interesting.  So you're saying that iTunes is launched?  That's not what happens for me.  I seem to stay within Media Center and am prompted to login to Media Server.

Would you mind outlining exactly what happens so I can see where our paths separate. For instance, when MC has control, when iTunes comes in and then what happens after that.  Also, which login are you using?  Do you use your iTunes login at any point in the process?

I'm glad that it works, just not glad that it's not working for me.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 09:26:28 am »

Sikes,

I have purchased protected AAC on my PC where I ran Media Server. I went to a different PC and installed iTunes and QuickTime. I then ran MC from that PC and using Media Server located the protected content on my PC. I went to play a file and a dialogue came up asking for my iTunes login and password. After entering this information, all AAC played on the new PC.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up