INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What cell phones should do....  (Read 2390 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
What cell phones should do....
« on: May 03, 2004, 08:56:42 pm »

I'm wondering what you think about how cell phones could be improved.  Here's an example:

I'd like to see a simple way to move my contacts from my favorite address book program (Palm Desktop) to the phone.

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:What cell phones should do....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 02:25:41 pm »

my sony ericsson t610(?) already does that. it syncs via ir or bluetooth with outlook and stores contacts / to do list / notes and diary info...

its pretty impressive (especially as the phone is small) although the interface isnt that intuitive...

what id like is that it syncs automatically with pda and pc, rather than me needing to do it. additionally transferring photos between the two is cumbersome. there should be some form of personal p2p system running (which was what i thought bluetooth was supposed to do).

phones should also connect to ipod style devices and be able to interrupt the music so i can hear it ring with my headphones on

cell phones should also be able to double as landlines (ie. cheap calling rates from within my home zip code [uk already does this on certian services...orange?])

prehaps the phone companies should also work on signal quality. i live on manhattan and there are so many black spots in the city its ridiculous...

pip

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 02:56:09 am »

Without getting into too much details, you're going to see a major change in what cell phones can do in the near future. I won't give out any info on the company itself but all I can say is that it's a new one. Their product, which already works, will let any user access any files on their home computer (provided it's connected to the internet). Their service will be free to the cell phone companies. Users will have to pay from $5 to $16 a month depending on their bandwidth needs. So, provided that the next gen cell phones will all have bluetooth/wireless capabilities, it meens that you'll be able to do the following:

- Play all your digital music through your cell phone. (that means no hard drive limit) --> Ipod Killer
- access absolutely all your files from anywhere around the world by just carrying your cell phone with you.
- Browse the content of your computer from a remote comp
- Anything you can think of...

Thought you might like to hear about that. :P

-Cascius

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 01:38:13 pm »

mmm...sounds all well & good, but you're dependant on this new company, the network provider & your home pc/internet connection to allow you into this brave new world...& when the 3 top mobile providers in the UK can't even organise reliable picture messaging amongst themselves; well I think I may just keep hold of my iPod, at least it's within my control.

Pip, O2 def. do that do the home postcode thing... orange may also

brentb

Re: What cell phones should do....
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 05:12:11 am »

Have you seen this:

http://www.datapilot.com/

I just got a new Sanyo 8100 phone and am experimenting with it and this program and data cable. I sucessfully transferred my Outlook contacts list, which syncs with my Palm, but have not tried it using Palm Desktop (it says it works with it though) as my hard drive crashed a while ago, and I haven't actually reloaded the Palm software back on.

This may work as well http://www.futuredial.com/Products/Suite/P_Suite.htm

good luck
Brent
Pages: [1]   Go Up