INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to move from YADB to CDDB?  (Read 4008 times)

wrafter

• Recent member
Is it possible to move from YADB to CDDB?
« on: May 08, 2004, 04:42:05 pm »

Hi there, my first post.

I'm here ripping my CDs for upload to my new iPod, lucky me!

Media Center comes replete with YADB which I'm finding can't identify a large majority of the CDs I've been loading...

I've found CDDB, which comes with WinAmp, better.

Is there any way that I can use CDDB instead of YADB with Media Center?

Thanks,

Wrafter

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re:Is it possible to move from YADB to CDDB?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 04:51:18 pm »

Welcome to Interact!

No, there is no way to change from YADB to CBBD. This has been asked for numerous times, but it can't be done. I believe (though I'm not sure) that it's a licensing issue.

Enjoy MC!

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

wrafter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 04:52:28 pm »

Thank you for the reply crowfan, I will indeed enjoy MC! :-)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 10:09:09 am »

Media Center comes replete with YADB which I'm finding can't identify a large majority of the CDs I've been loading...

Is there any way that I can use CDDB instead of YADB with Media Center?

I find the same as you on lookups, and sometimes when info is found it is incorrect.

So I use The Godfather to get tag info from AMG and CDDB and use the Update library from tags feature of MC.

An extra step, but I have full info in the tags and a nice image for display.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 12:38:08 pm »

Hi;

I believe that YADB is owned by JRiver, the makers of Media Center.

It has gotten much better & will only grow over time.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 12:54:03 pm »

Hi;

I believe that YADB is owned by JRiver, the makers of Media Center.

It has gotten much better & will only grow over time.
Sure, but that will be then. I like accurate info now. AMG is not perfect, they sometime do not have info. But when they do it is accurate. That is my biggest problem with user submitted info like YADB, CDDB, etc. There are misspellings, wrong info, etc.

But I do my part, after I tag a CD, I submit the info to YADB.
Still don't know what info is used in YADB though.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 01:45:25 pm »

If CDDB is out of the question , how bout   freedb ?

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »

YADB was initially built from FreeDB.

Some side notes...

Originally I too had a lot of misses with YADB at... at the start.  But, in the last month I have added about 20 new CD's to MC & YADB had them all.  I now seldom have any misses with YADB.

What kind of music are we talking about ?  Is it mainstream or oddball ?

Most of mine are New Age & Jazz which YADB seems to do a pretty good job of.

Also, it helps everyone when we do not get a hit that we make sure to add it to the YADB database after we manually enter all the CD information.  This way the next person will not have to go through the same thing of not getting a hit.

When one person enters the information initially, 100 other people will not come up with no hits.

Just a thought.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 04:36:25 pm »

this topic is very old, and has been talked to death for the past 2 years.

If you do a search you will find about 40,000 messages about it.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 09:28:52 pm »

this topic is very old, and has been talked to death for the past 2 years.

If you do a search you will find about 40,000 messages about it.

Perhaps some effort to improve it would be in order then.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 09:57:11 pm »

In my opinion, if you rely on external databases to give you accurate tag info, you're sometimes doomed to disappointment.

If I want stuff accurately tagged the way I want it, I type it in myself. It's not exactly a huge effort.

Most of the stuff I have/rip is available from YADB. If it's not, or the tags are inaccurate, DO IT YOURSELF!

Cheers
Rob

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 10:59:08 pm »

The reason to use external databases (and to advertise them as a feature) is to make tagging easier.  If you have to input data manually on a good portion of your CD's, then I would say there is a problem.  Inaccuracies will exist in any of the databases, but they still reduce the amount of work when ripping.

If the solution is to 'just do it yourself', then why bother advertising it?

From the Media Center feature list:
"CD and Track Lookup
JRiver's YADB database is the most trouble-free and accurate database available for CD titles and tracks. Audio fingerprinting also lets you look up track names on individual tracks."

Note:  I think most people do submit corrections when the YADB information is incorrect.  At least I do.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 11:34:00 pm »

I know this is off topic, but the context in which you used the word replete is incorrect.  I understand that it is easy to missuse a word, but when you go out of your way to use a word rather superfluously it is a good idea to make sure that it makes sense in the context.  Otherwise it can come off as an attempt to throw in large words to bolster your argument or the effectiveness of your statement, when really you should be making your argument more concise and understandable.

I think maybe you meant complete, but replete is not a synonym of complete, nor is complete correct in this context.  In any case replete means basically "filled with or to capacity"  as in the road was replete with cars.  Its a great word but it should be used judiciously.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 11:36:00 pm »

In my opinion, if you rely on external databases to give you accurate tag info, you're sometimes doomed to disappointment.

If I want stuff accurately tagged the way I want it, I type it in myself. It's not exactly a huge effort.

Most of the stuff I have/rip is available from YADB. If it's not, or the tags are inaccurate, DO IT YOURSELF!

As for doing it myself, I guess I do. I use a free app that actually gets accurate info, images, and tags the files for me.
Since JRiver advertises this for MC I don't think it is unreasonable to want it to work at least as well as a free program.

As for it not being a huge effort, I disagree. It must be very difficult. Why else would user updated databases have so many errors?

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 04:16:56 am »

The reason why there are so many errors in user updated databases is that people are too slack to bother tagging their files accurately.

The old "why should I bother doing this stuff, when I can be a slack-arse and leave it to someone else to do, even if they've done a crummy job" attitude.

All I'm saying is that if there are missing/inaccurate tags out there, so be it, I'll fix em myself (and resubmit back corrected tags if required).

I have ripped around 900 CDs in my collection. maybe 10% have either not been found, or been found to be inaccurate. I'm happy to spend the time to fix em up when I find em. IMO it's all part of the fun of being an MP3 (or whatever flavour you favour) music collector.
Cheers
Rob

DocLotus

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 09:12:09 am »

Right on, LunchmeatVoom ;D

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2004, 10:18:11 am »

The reason why there are so many errors in user updated databases is that people are too slack to bother tagging their files accurately.

All I'm saying is that if there are missing/inaccurate tags out there, so be it, I'll fix em myself (and resubmit back corrected tags if required).

Ding! We have a winner!

Exactly why I would like info on what data is in YADB, how is it verified or even if it is. Nothing worse to me than when I'm using EAC to rip a CD and the CCDB pops up with 20 entries for it. Which of these do I select?

So, When I was still ripping to MP3, the next step was to let WMP update the selections automatically. It did a nice job on the whole and I'd just do an Update from tags in MC after it was finished.

Now I use APE, so I use The Godfather to get the AMG info and images for a CD. Then I update MC from the tags, then I submit to YADB.

I guess we have different tastes in music because I get nowhere near 90% found, and when they are found the info is not always accurate.

Can I look at the jewel box and get the info and do it manually? Yeah, sometimes. But other apps can get accurate info, why should I have to? Plus, I do mean sometimes. I live in China and most CDs you find anywhere, even chain stores like WalMart, are pirated. Let's just say that their technical ability is much better than their spelling.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2004, 12:11:37 pm »

Nothing worse to me than when I'm using EAC to rip a CD and the CCDB pops up with 20 entries for it. Which of these do I select?

I dont know exactly how YADB data is verified, but Im sure if anyone interested sends an email to Gateley he'll enrol you on the cleanup crew. Admittedly I havent done my bit for quite a while, but it does help to get rid of duplicates and clean up the db a little.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 12:13:48 pm »

He's gateley @ jriver.com.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 01:23:06 pm »

Nothing worse to me than when I'm using EAC to rip a CD and the CCDB pops up with 20 entries for it. Which of these do I select?

I dont know exactly how YADB data is verified, but Im sure if anyone interested sends an email to Gateley he'll enrol you on the cleanup crew. Admittedly I havent done my bit for quite a while, but it does help to get rid of duplicates and clean up the db a little.

Done! Thanks!!!
You can't whine if you're not willing to help :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 01:41:16 pm »

GHammer

more info is also at www.yadb.com
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up