INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding a library field?  (Read 1161 times)

sthomp

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Adding a library field?
« on: May 26, 2004, 03:05:07 pm »

I'm trying out Media Center on the 30-day trial, and I have a couple of questions.

I'm trying to add a second "Rating" library field, so that my wife and I can each give songs our own rating. I went to Tools/Options/Tree & View. I tried adding a library field using exactly the settings as in the normal "Rating" field. However, the resulting field doesn't have the five clickable stars that the normal Rating field has. It has a drop-down list with no items in it. Can anyone tell me how to add another Rating field?

Also, I's like to have a field to denote whether a song is good for exercising. I was thinking I'd like a checkbox, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Can anyone give me a good idea of the best way to do that?

Thanks.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Adding a library field?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 03:17:05 pm »

I believe that the second rating field with the stars is not currently possible.  It has been requested.  You'll find that the Media Center team is VERY responsive to user suggestions but I think this might be one of those suggestions that is more complicated than it seems.

Second suggestion has been requested, by me as well as others, for the same purpose you suggest.  I suspect that it may be the same problem as above.

The work around is effective but not pretty.  There is nothing special about the values in the rating field so you can use your new rating field and give it a 1-5 rating by typing it in.  After rating some songs, the drop down should populate with the values you have used.  Obviously this does not have the same ease of use that you are asking for, but the field can be used in smartlists/view schemes as if it were the original rating field.  Same with the checkbox, you could just use y/n.

I'm not speaking for J River, just what I've picked up from the boards.  

Enjoy MC!

sthomp

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 03:51:56 pm »

Okay, thanks much for the info. Off to play with SmartLists...

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 06:23:45 pm »

I was another who requested the checkbox ability   ;D

What I do instead is add a custom field called (for example) "Gym." I tag one file with the value "Yes." Then I use tagging mode (which now provides a checkbox up in the pane) to tag the rest of my music.

I'd still like to see the checkbox field added, but I suspect the bjsolem is correct and that it's harder to implement than it sounds.

Enjoy MC,

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 03:31:17 am »

What I have always done for yes/no fields is to set up a binary field eg. use 1 or 0.  When creating a field you can add the choices that you want to appear in that field so for a second rating field simply tell mc tat you want the possible options to be 1 to 5.  I think it is semi colon delimited so the string would be 0;1;2;3;4;5.  This way when you are editing in the tag window or the panes you have a drop down or selectable list of the options you want.  Hope this helps.  If you have any questions just ask and someone here should be able to help you :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 03:37:26 am »

I've just checked and actually the values assigned to the field are only selectable from the action window file properties and not from either the inline tagging or the panes.  I wonderif this could be changed???  I will speak to Matt nicely and see what can be done :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up