INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a viewscheme to browse playlists  (Read 1261 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Creating a viewscheme to browse playlists
« on: June 23, 2004, 11:12:14 am »

Hi all,

I have created a viewscheme with a panes that point to different playlist groups. However, when I click on one of the smartlists within that pane I dont get proper results.
Let me illustrate:

I have a smartlist with these rules:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~n=1 ~a         (Return one whole album)

When i view the smartlist in the playlists part of the tree it works as it should. However, when i browse to it in the library it returns a list of 2200 of my 2204 files.

I cant get any of my smartlists to return even similar results to the correct ones that i get when looking at the real smartlists.

Anyone know why?

Other examples that dont work:

[Genre]=[Electronic] [Keywords]=[Chilled] ~sort=[Random]
(Get only my most chilled Electronic music. Works but sorts them by album in the list even though I have set sorting to none.)

[Rating]=>=4 ~sort=[Random] ~n=20 [Media Type]=[Audio]
(Favourites, 20 tracks. But only returns a list of 15 tracks)

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Number Plays]==0 ~sort=[Random]
(Songs never played. But only returns a list of 813 songs, even though the actual smartlist returns a list of over 2000).

~sort=[Random] [Genre]=[Jazz] ~t=90
(90mins of random Jazz. Returns nothing.)

Thanks
Bri

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Creating a viewscheme to browse playlists
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 11:59:58 am »

This seems to be working for me.  Make sure you have the latest MC.

If you send a library backup to matt at jriver.com, I'll try to figure out what the deal is.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 03:11:20 pm »

I have created a viewscheme with a panes that point to different playlist groups.

this sounds interesting, i'm wondering why it necessary to create, wasn't clicking in the tree in the playlists section adequate enough.

However, when I click on one of the smartlists within that pane I dont get proper results.

i was curious how you prevent all the smartlists form a grp from executing whenever you click on a group in the viewscheme.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 11:11:25 am »

Hi Matt, hope you got my e-mail.

hit_ny,
When you create a pane for viewing a playlist group the pane itself is the group and every entry in the list for that pane represents an individual playlist or smartlist. In theory. But I cant get it to work.

I select a smartlist in that pane but the resulting list of files down below dont come close to what I'd get if i click on the actual smartlist in the tree.

The reason I wanted this functionality is because I have a reasonable amount of smart/playlists and they are grouped into various playlist groups so as to keep the tree in order. but it requires too much expanding/collapsing to find the playlist i want. better to put my most frequently used playlist groups into one viewscheme and see them all at once.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 01:31:54 pm »

Thanks for the file.

MC is actually working as it is supposed to.  It's showing the files that match all of the selected pane values.

So, when "All" is selected for the 4 playlist groups, MC is showing files that are contained in all 4 of those groups. (not just one)  It has to do a lot of work to come up with this, which is why it's a little slow.

Perhaps MC 11 could add an option to make the columns independent of one another.  Otherwise, maybe it could add two selections: "All" and "All In Playlist Group."

Any other ideas are welcome.  Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 01:54:30 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm looking forward to v11 going to beta and checkin out all the new stuff you're doing.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 02:09:23 pm »

The reason I wanted this functionality is because I have a reasonable amount of smart/playlists and they are grouped into various playlist groups so as to keep the tree in order. but it requires too much expanding/collapsing to find the playlist i want. better to put my most frequently used playlist groups into one viewscheme and see them all at once.

yes, i understand now, this sounds like a good idea. But i wonder how its possible to pick random playlists/smartlist from different playlist groups and have (ONLY) them display in the panes ?

Isn't it necessary to migrate them to say a favorite smartlist group, and then select that group to be displayed in the panes..

the other thing i was wondering about was whether you found any instances where a second pane was needed..

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 03:20:09 pm »

Yes I do exactly that (group my smart/playlists into small related groups and then create a pane just to see those)

Regarding more panes; ideally as matt said, it'd be cool to have a pane for each smartlist group next to each other. each pane would be unrelated to the previous so that you could see all of your playlists in front of you horizontally.

However the subtractive way that the panes work now would also be cool methinks. Eg, you have a playlist group related to only smartlists that generate lists of whole full albums (Eg most listened to albums, or, chilled music you havent heard for a couple of months etc). Potentially the list could be quite long and instead of scrolling through it, you could have a bunch of further panes to help you decide which album to listen to (eg; the standard genre/artist/album panes).  

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 03:30:58 pm »

Matt,
I just tried taking one of my viewschemes and taking out all the panes bar one. This shows only one playlist group. I removed sorting within the list below. I guess this should do the trick right?
But...
I'm still not getting albums returned in the sequencial order that they are in the smartlist (Eg, `The most played albums`smartlist has rules in the smartlist to sort starting from the album which has the most played song in it. But in the pane view it doesnt come back like that.)

Is it me? Is v10 just not cut out to view smartlist groups in the pane view in this way?
Pages: [1]   Go Up