INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installation does not complete  (Read 1932 times)

uvahoo

• Change this by choosing profile
Installation does not complete
« on: June 30, 2004, 07:28:04 pm »

I am attempting to install a version of Media Jukebox 8, but when I do, installation stops.  I see message to wait for the installation wizard, but the process stops there.  I never get an error message, the process just stops.  What can I do to install?  Some other details:  I am trying to install in XP pro with numerous patches.  I purchased the program about 1.5 years ago, and I have the backup key code of the registration on a separate disk.  About six months ago, I backed up the media jukebox installation .exe program from my initial harddrive installation.  I replaced my computer, and even though it has taken me a while, I am attempting to put the program on the new machine.  The installation does not work.  I tried downloading the latest Jukebox8 version (more current than mine), but I get the same result.  Why can't I get the program back on my computer?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Installation does not complete
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 10:02:13 pm »

Have you installed anything lately that increased the security?  Or any Windows patches?

uvahoo

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 10:12:07 am »

Nothing that increases the security.  I do have windows patches installed.  I have tried the installation on two different machines, and I get the same result of installation simply stopping without an error messages.  This happens even if disable norton internet securitiy and antivirus software.

bardau

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:07:33 pm »

I'm having a similar problem. MJ8 works fine on my Win98 system. Now I've bought a new system, P4, win XP Pro 3.2GHZ, with Nvidia GeForce FX5700 video card. Now I'm installing all my proggies on the new system so I( can formaqt & get rid of the old one.

Well, everything's installed nicely on XP Pro - except MJ8. It just hangs after saying "MJ8 is preparing Install Wizard..." then it hangs forever & does nothing. When I eventually try to restart XP, it tells me that Media Jukebox.exe is not responding.

In desperation, I d/loaded the latest version today of MJ8, using Internet Explorer. Same result. I've also disabled my virus scanner & my firewall [ZAPro], to no avail - the MJ install keeps hanging & not getting anywhere.

I really want to instal MJ8 - can anyone assist?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:45:49 pm »

Try downloading again without using a download manager.  Some have caused problems.

Delete temp files.  IE/tools/Internet Options/Temporary Internet Filese/Delete files.  That's a Windows bug.

Is your OS Win 98 SE?

bardau

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 09:27:49 pm »

Using XP Pro - where MJ8 won't install.

I didn't use a d/load manager with IE. Now I've tried deleting IE's temp files, then I started the MJ install again, but it made no difference, it still hangs when preparing the Install Wizard, & won't go any further.

Any other suggestions? I really like MJ & don't want to have to install another media player.

bardau

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 08:35:40 pm »

All right - I'm really desperate now cos I've tried again today to install on XP Pro with A/V & firewall disabled & no other proggis running, also first deleted IE temp files. MJ 8 hung as usual.

So then I thought I'd try Media Center 10, d/loaded with IE & no d/load manager. Went through the same process as before[deleted IE temp files, no other proggies running etc] - & it too never got past "preparing the Install Wizard".

I then did a search of files & folders for both those files - they were natch listed in my D/loads folder, also in c\windows\prefetch

"C:\windows\prefetch

mediacenter10.exe-000DC3F1.pf - Type PF file, 59.9KB

mediajukebox8.exe-1E2826C0.pf - Type PF file, 64.6KB"

When I restarted Windows after each of the unsuccessful installs, I was informed first that Media Jukebox8.exe was not responding, then on the 2nd restart, that MediaCenter10.exe was not responding.

My system is fully patched, no malware/spyware etc. I hope someone can help.
-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:16:35 pm »

Security screwed down too tight?

bardau

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:48:54 pm »

H'mm, I dunno about that. After I've finished using IE, I always disable ActiveX, scripting & Java - so I'll try again without doing this if that'll help, I don't use any pop-up stoppers for IE either.

Haven't had any problem with other installs [like Irfanview]. So I'll try d/loading MJ8 again & tryingthe install all over again, & report back..

I'm so desperate that if I could  put my Win98 h/d into one of my new system's spare bays, I'd give that a go - if I were sure I'd then be able to use MJ8 - I never wanna go back to MMJB again!

bardau

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 11:09:53 pm »

OK, I think I've found the problem, but I need help with the solution. My new XP Pro system is networked to my Win 98 one & I know zilch about networking yet. I'm still unfamiliar with XP, I'm the only user, & I know this isn't the ideal way - but I don't login to XP with a password, & I'm pretty sure I start it as Admin, with no other user accounts.

I d/loaded MJ8 & again it hung. So after searching for the file again, I found it in c:\docs & Settings\admin, & after drilling down, this Crirical Error came up -

"critical error
AJ River Media Core Component failed to load the product info file.

C:\Documents & Settings\admin\Local Settings\Temp\RarSFX11\setup\EntConnection 100151\
Data\Default Resources\Options.xml

Please reinstall the latest version of the J River Media Core program under the current user account to correct this problem."

So what do I do now?
Pages: [1]   Go Up