INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC covering task bar  (Read 2449 times)

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
MC covering task bar
« on: July 06, 2004, 07:26:41 pm »

Per Matt's suggestion, I am starting a thread for this bug (originally posted in the MC11 alpha build 18 thread).  This bug applies to all versions of MC10 and 11.

First of all, I don't know what to say regarding how to reproduce it.  For me it's this:

1.  Install MC
2.  Run MC

About 80% of the time, my taskbar will either not come out of 'Auto-hide', or it will not 'Keep on top' of MC forcing me to Alt-Tab to another application in order to see my taskbar.  I have not been able to determine why it doesn't happen 100% of the time.  I've tried giving focus to different aspects of MC's interface, tried resetting the auto-hide and always on top properties of the task bar, etc.  Nothing will fix it aside from keeping the window non-maximized and leaving a gap between MC and the bottom of my screen.

This is a persistent bug.  It's been in MC10 for as long as I can remember (all the way back during beta).   I reported it a few times on each new release and finally gave up because it never acknowledged by the authors.  Other's have reported several times as well.

I don't know what else to put here other than my system info.  Note that I am currently running XP SP2 (release candidate 2), but this problem is not associated with it at all.  All of my video drivers, my nForce drivers and my audio drivers are the latest.  BIOS is also the latest.

Media Center Registered 11.0.19 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2, v.2149 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2071 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 492 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2149 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2149 (xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2149 (xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive Y:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Z:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive Y: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:44  MaxSpeed:44  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive Z: Memorex  DVD+/-RW Dual-X1   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:5  MaxSpeed:5  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:MC covering task bar
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 07:35:03 pm »

It could be another piece of software.  Try removing all third party plug-ins.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 07:37:33 pm »

Try removing all third party plug-ins.

I forgot to mention.  According to a post Matt made earlier, I removed all extensions, uninstalled MC 10 and 11, and removed any references to Media Center and MediaJukebox from my registry.  So right now, I am running from a pristine install (except for my library).

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 07:38:58 pm »

I can not reproduce this..

Is this happening with any other programs?

Media Center Registered 11.0.19 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2, v.2149 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1774 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1571 MB, Free - 1005 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2149 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2149 (xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2149 (xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PREMIUM     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-708A     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
-

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:46:52 pm »

Nope, it only happens with MC and I am not the only one it happens to.  I've seen a number of people complain about it.

If anyone could give me some suggestions on testing out why it occurs, I'd be happy to.  I've tried everything I can think of, but can't figure out why it happens 80% of the time....  What about the other 20%?  It can happen right after I run MC, or it can manifest itself after it's been running for an hour (mostly the prior).

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 11:23:20 pm »

I can reproduce it for about as much as 100%. I also have to use Alt-Tab to get to another program or just decrease the size of MC10 on my screen so it doens't covers the taskbar anymore. Indeed it has been in MC since ever I use it.
This also happens to some other programs, not only MC.

Another of those strange things is that MC just disappears from the task list sometimes after issueing a command, just gone. It just now happened after the "Transfer" command to upload to my handheld. It happens with all different sorts of commands. I have to restart MC to get MC back on my screen.

MarSies .....

IanG

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 03:02:51 am »

I've got problems with it, too (10.0.149).  With the task bar set to auto hide it appears / disappears OK until MC's minimised. Maximise MC and the task bar stays hidden.  Restart MC and it's fine again.  I tried minimising MC and then switching autohide off but it didn't make any difference.  Toggling MC from the task bar or the system tray didn't make any difference either.

Ian G.

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 03:11:31 am »

I've suffered with this for a long time.  I tried running MC non maximised and just leaving a small gap at the bottom of the screen but sooner or later something happens to make MC change or forget it's frame position so that got annoying too.  So for some time now I've been running MC maximised and just minimising it manully when I want to see the task bar.  MC is the only program that exhibits this behaviour and the only one I've ever come across that exhibits this behaviour.

I don't run any special themes or Windows Blinds or anything like that, just a tasty picture of Kylie on my desktop.  Therefore it's even more annoying that it takes an extra click to get to it.

I do run Powerstrip but the problem is still there when this is not running.

Like Paul I gave up and just accepted it.

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 08:52:43 am »

Ditto for me.  Always have had this problem.  MC 10, 11, and I think MC 9.  Almost 100% of the time, on both of my computers.  No other program I use has this problem.

Brian

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 09:01:08 am »

Let us know if the next build of MC 11 is better.

It's complicated because Windows doesn't want to show the taskbar for windows without the WS_THICKFRAME and WS_CAPTION styles. (which MC doesn't have since it draws the borders and caption itself)

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 01:32:55 am »

Matt,

I'm sorry to hear that the problem is "fixed" in MC11. Only a few months ago there was this thing about going to MC10.
I don't feel like going to MC11 which is not even in alpha status. Much too early for that.

Is there going to be an upgrade for MC10 with bugfixes. A 150 version with all changes is welcome. Probably very difficult to produce, but very sad if MC10 will stay this way. :'(

The new major versions are introduced much too fast.

MarSies .....

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 03:34:48 am »

I really hope that what Matt means is 'MC11 users please let us know if it's fixed and if it is we'll put out a new build of MC10 soon'.

David_1cog

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 09:15:00 am »

I first reported this bug 2 years ago and again 6 months ago (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=18719.  It's a constant source of irritation.  

Like the other users, it's an intermittent (70%) problem which I've seen on different boxes.  I have no MC plugins or XP 'theme' software installed.  I have latest XP updates + nVidia drivers.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 02:38:36 am »

david_1cog,

I remember that thread. I agree completely with your last post on that subject.

From my point of view these type of bugs should be fixed in MC10.

Since I started using MC10 I have had this thing to. I got used to do Alt-Tab when switching away from MC.

MarSies .....
Pages: [1]   Go Up