INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6.1 or 7.1 ...what shall i use with my new receiver  (Read 2726 times)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
6.1 or 7.1 ...what shall i use with my new receiver
« on: July 07, 2004, 05:02:06 am »

Hi guys!

I just bought the new Yamaha RX-V750.  I also bought the wharfdale diamond 8.4 floor speakers and the same series center (8.4). I already had a pair of bose 201 series 2 speakers and 3 small white speakers from a set a friend had by Mb Quart (I think they are satellites…though they aren't that small).  Now my dilemma is whether to go for the 6.1 configuration, thus buying another rear center and using only the wharfdale and bose sets, or going for the 7.1 config and thus using all my speakers so that the wharfdale act as fronts and center, the bose rear (or middle… the ones that were rear in 5.1) speakers and the 2 mb Quarts as the behind the head (or whatever they call it speakers ;-). So basically I have 2 questions.. 1) what is the better config for me and more important 2) if I do choose the 7.1 config which speakers are more important and need better quality, the ones on the sides or the ones all the way back? I appreciate any help I can get since I became quite lost once we passed the 5.1 mark :-)

Thx a lot in advance

Zeltak

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:6.1 or 7.1 ...what shall i use with my new receiver
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:27:39 pm »

I have the Yamaha RX-V1400 (also 7.1). So far I have used it only as 5.1. I have Wharfedale's DFS-21 bi-polar surround speakers. That model has very wide dispersion angle and it seems to be enough for me.

In my opinion you should use the better speakers on the sides (the Boses?). Most DVD videos and multichannel audio disks are still recorded to 5.1. The surround back channels are processed in the HT receiver and they are only expanding the adequate listening area. With Yamaha you can use 6.1 or 7.1 setup. I don't think there is much difference. Since you have enough speakers you can experiment with both.

Alex
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up