INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: search function  (Read 2246 times)

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
search function
« on: July 10, 2004, 02:28:34 pm »

The search function in media center is basically useless as it only searches the window showing, why doesn't it search the entire library.  Hell I can scoll down the window if I want to find what's right in front of me.  Should be more like the "find music" function in MJ

Brian

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:search function
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 02:41:43 pm »

It searches the section of the tree that is selected.  Select music, for example.

It also gives you the opportunity to search the entire library if you started in the wrong location.  See the message in the content window.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 02:56:32 pm »

If you go to the media library window where all the files are displayed and do a search, you will find that it works quite well.

It is also intended to work as you described so you can isolate a certain group of files (view scheme or playlist perhaps) and perform a search within only that group of files.  This gives the search function much more power.

Play with it and learn how it works, then enjoy.

ooops . . . looks like Jim beat me to the 'Save' button.   :)
. . . the game is rigged

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 02:57:57 pm »

Sorry Jim, just don't like it.  There should be a way to set it to search the entire libary by default, the goal is less mouse clickes, not more.  Hope you are well.  The only thing I saw in the content window is "Double Click here to play entire libary"

Brian

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 03:12:53 pm »

The only thing I saw in the content window is "Double Click here to play entire libary"

It's "double click here to search entire library."

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 03:26:58 pm »

Not on my machine, it says "double click to play entire libary" and that's exactly what happens when you double click there.  I run visualitions and generally have something playing with searching for the next song I want to listen to.  

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 04:13:17 pm »

There is also a shortcut to search your whole library: Ctrl+F.

If you are in Playing Now and you like to add single files to the list, I agree that it can be problematic because when you go to the whole Media Library view you don't see what is on the Playing Now list at the same time.

You can see a miniature version of Playing Now and your Media Library at the same time if you open the Build Playlist -> Edit Playing Now view in Action Window (at the lower left corner). You can edit the list itself there, but not file tags. I would love to have a separate floating Playing Now window. (This could be a feature request.)

The Search function itself is excellent. There are about endless amount of search options, from basic to very smart ones. I have never seen anything quite like it before MC. Look in MC Help for more information.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 04:31:14 pm »

you should be able to search the whole libary from within playing now, that's my point.

Brian

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 05:19:44 pm »

And where the search results go then? That's my point.

E.g. If I write Madonna to Search it gives me 166 results. If I could have a separate Playing Now window open it would be easy to drop some of them there. In principle this is the case if you have the Edit Playing Now open, but that is quite small and limited.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 05:23:51 pm »

You can select what you want and right click to do that.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 05:40:22 pm »

Yes, I do that all the time, but if there is already a long queue in Playing Now and you try to find something matching it would be easier if you could see both lists at the same time.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 06:05:51 pm »

... I run visualitions and generally have something playing with searching for the next song I want to listen to.  

Just a thought, but if you set Media Center Display to Windowed View you can see visualizations (or track info display) during the search in the Media Library. You can adjust window sizes to prevent overlapping.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 08:06:17 pm »

I have to agree with nyc-ink on this one. The 'new' search function has been getting to me too. I guess it's because I'm an old-timer; I just keep remembering that Ctrl-Q was it? was used to search what you were looking at, and the 'other' search looked into your entire library. I pretty much have unsuccessful searches every single time; until I realize that I didn't use CTRL-f. It's probably just me. I just find it really hard to get used to, after having it the other way for so many years.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 09:03:41 pm »

...I don't. Luv the current search function. It searches in the list you are viewing...which is how it should be. Entering the search string no longer breaks view schemes and smartlists rules (it hasn't for several builds now) and allows searches within. There are no shortcomings to the current scheme. As mentioned earlier, you can display PN in the AW...and do your searches in the Media Library view, which will return the results you want.

10-27

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 01:58:54 am »

hi!

i would have to say that i would also love a option to press a button and search any song i feel like at that moment; wherever im standing...since i "travel"  through alot of mc parts all the time  ;D . i remember long ago (in the days i still used to use winamp... ;)) that i could use some plugins and just press a button and choose any song in the library in 2-5 seconds. just my personal opinion.

zeltak   :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2004, 06:53:40 am »

In my previous life (before I discovered MJ 8  ;D) the best I could find was Winamp 2.xx with the EZ-PlayList extension. That gave a spreadsheet look-a-like view to all track information, basic text search and better tagging capabilities than Winamp. I actually liked it a lot. It was easy to pick up new files and send them to the main Winamp playlist because you could see both windows side by side. The combination was much better than e.g. Real 1 or WMP at those times.

I am not by any means complaining that it is slow to find a song and play it in MC.

E.g. I pressed Ctrl+F while I was in Playing Now, did a search in Media Library, started playing the search results and pressed Ctrl+2 (Jump to Playing Now). The operation took about 2 seconds (even the library has over 18000 entries).

This is of course if you already know what you want. It is more complicated if you like to compare Playing Now and the search results when making choices. You may end up going back and forth between the two views.

You can use Action Window/edit Playing Now for that, but it is showing only "Name (Artist)" information in the playback order. You may also like to compare albums, years, comments, ratings etc or organize the view order by artist, album etc.

You can face the same situation when building/editing named playlists.

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2004, 12:36:39 pm »

What can I say, i find the current search function clunky and comberson, too many mouse clicks or keep board shortcuts.  You should be able to search the entire library from "playing now", and not have to switch back and fourth from so many windows.  Doesn't strike me like it's such a big deal to ad this feature, after all it's been part of MJ forever!  Or at least be able to create a tool bar shortcut for searching the entire libary like you could with MJ

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 12:50:06 pm »

i second nyc-ink  ;)

Zeltak
Pages: [1]   Go Up