INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: media center license question  (Read 2405 times)

angelchild22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
media center license question
« on: July 21, 2004, 11:59:36 pm »

I just bought the media center. What I want to know is do I get restores on it like you do on the media jukebox? Thanks angelchild :D

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:media center
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 12:03:23 am »

Yes.  10/year.

Check out the FAQ for all your answering needs.   8)

Screwbottle

• Recent member
  • No Drugs here. I get high on life
Re:media center license question
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 04:26:25 pm »

Hi, This question is for a staffer at JRiver. Please tell me why I no longer have licenses available for Media Centre 10. I purchased it when it first came out and this is only my second restore I have used for Media Centre 10. Yet on the action of the succesful restore, a mail was sent to me indicating that I only have three restores left for my Media Centre 9, and one left for Media Centre 10, which I had to use for restoring after a hard drive crash.
I have only ever restored my Media Centre 9 three times, and as said twice now for version 10. Is it possible for our registration codes to be obtained illegally, and then used without our knowing it. At my home my P.C.'s (laptop and desktop) are as secure as I can make them behind passwords, firewalls and antivirus. I work in I.T.. The only other computer that has Media Centre on it is my laptop, and I used one of the restore files to activate it on my laptop within it's 14 day period.
This is very disturbing for me to find this out. Is there any way of checking to see if some one has my keys and illegally using them, therby depleting my restores. Please I am asking that this be looked into, and to be fixed.
Thank you >:( :(

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 04:37:03 pm »

screwbottle - I show several restores for you, including 7 on June 12th alone. The last time this issue came up, it turned out it was the person's son 'helping' his friends.

j

Screwbottle

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 05:02:27 pm »

Firstly to Omni, thanks for the reply, and my apologies to the hijacked thread.

To John, this tells me that there is a problem, 7 on one day. My son cannot get into my system as I have a system password as well as a O/S password (WinXP Pro), both are 8 characters long, alpha numeric and do not make up any words (as I said I am in I.T.). I will need to check, but this could be about the time that my system went in for it's first repair due to it being under warranty. I was not allowed to repair it myself. What is still strange though is that I removed all sensitive data of mine including electronic copies of my licenses, onto a portable external HDD.
What recourse do I have in getting these licenses restored from your side. I obviously am going to take this up with the repair vendor, but I don't have much proof.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 09:59:36 am »

Screwbottle:

Here's the IP addresses used to do the restore, maybe this will help you:

All times CDT:

6/6 16:26:54 155.239.68.55

6/12 06:17:13, 06:17:30, 06:18:16, 06:19:00, 155.239.68.134

6/12 09:15:25, 09:17:35, 09:24:21 155.239.68.82

j

angelchild22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 10:40:33 am »

I just bought the media center. What I want to know is do I get restores on it like you do on the media jukebox? Thanks angelchild :D
Thanks for your help everyone. I do appreciate it. angelchild :-*

Screwbottle

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 05:16:55 pm »

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. I traced (ping and tracert) the I.P.'s, lead to nowhere. First two sets of adrress of the I.P. are here in South Africa (155.239), and are also part of my ISP's first sets, but this is a long shot. I will work with my ISP and see if they can trace the rest of the address.

Will my licenses renew to 10 restores after one year, and what is the date. Is it on the purchase date of my license, or the beginning of a calendar year i.e. Jan 2005.

Regards

Omni

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 06:11:02 pm »

FYI, you can always first just try using ARIN to determine who owns the IP in question.

As it happens, Telkom is listed as owning everything between 155.239.0.0 and 155.239.255.255. ;)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 12:36:19 pm »

Restores are limited to 10 per yearly time period. They are not fixed to a calendar year.

When asked for a restore, the program counts out how many were done in the previous year time period, starting from the moment that it was asked for a restore.

j

Screwbottle

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 12:43:26 pm »

To John

Thanks. looks like I am going to have to be careful with my licenses over the next year. Can you tell me what was the date of my first restore, so I can get an idea of the renewal cycle.

Thanks

P.S. I have something else to ask but I think I must start a new thread on this query.

Screwbottle

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 12:47:09 pm »

Hi Omni

Thanks for the advise. You must be local to know about Telkom, our "wonderful" telco. You are right, all of the I.P.'s check out to Telkom, no further trace possible through Arin.

I will get help from my ISP.

Cheers

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 01:30:04 pm »

I used 1 restore In a year

I use that on a 3.06 ghz computer with a raid 1 drive system that runs all the time running a ftp and http server software.

maybe i will use one next year when i get my new computer I guess (as long as this one don't crash).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Omni

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 03:23:45 pm »

You must be local to know about Telkom, our "wonderful" telco.

No, far from it.  Telkom was just listed in ARIN's database as the owner of that IP range.  Before I looked up the IP, I had never heard of Telkom.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up